Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exclusive behind-the-scenes details of 2 a.m. meeting that helped end Revis holdout

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Exclusive behind-the-scenes details of 2 a.m. meeting that helped end Revis holdout

[QUOTE]September 11, 2010 8:14 AM 27 Comments
    Exclusive behind-the-scenes details of 2 a.m. meeting that helped end Revis holdout »

By Manish Mehta

Michelle Ryan let the man into the family home just before 2 a.m. last Friday. She offered him something to drink, but he brought his own bottled water.

A few minutes later, her husband walked through the front door after a long day's work in Philadelphia.

The day before Jets coach Rex Ryan flew down to Florida with owner Woody Johnson to meet with holdout Darrelle Revis -- and two days before the team agreed to a 4-year, $46 million deal that ended a 36-day impasse with the All-Pro cornerback -- two men sat at a kitchen table in the middle of the night in Summit, N.J.

There were four chairs. Revis' agent Neil Schwartz took a seat. Ryan sat to his right. Schwartz brought a present for the coach -- a green-and-white No. 24 jersey -- and placed it over the chair back directly across Ryan.

"So there were three of us at the meeting: Rex, myself and Revis -- in jersey only," Schwartz remembered with a laugh.

Ryan looked at the man who had made his life a living hell over the past month and smiled.

"You're killing me," the coach said.

The next two hours set in motion a chain of events that would eventually bring Revis back to his team. Hours after the Jets' 21-17 win over the Eagles in the final preseason game on Sept. 2, Ryan listened to Schwartz, trying to make sense of why the contract mess had lasted so long.

"He wanted to make sure I saw their proposal," Ryan said. "It wasn't like I was doing any negotiating. Maybe he negotiated with my wife before I got there, I don't know."

Every time Schwartz spoke, he turned and pointed to the jersey draped over the chair as if Revis were sitting there with them. The star cornerback, of course, was a thousand miles away just outside Fort Lauderdale, hopeful for a breakthrough.

"The good thing about it was that there was a possibility at that point," Revis said in a quiet moment Friday. "They said, 'Hey, we're going to meet Rex at 2 a.m.' I'm like, okay. I'll be asleep.'"

Schwartz and Ryan were brought together by a mutual friend. When the two spoke last Thursday morning, Schwartz asked the coach if they could meet after the Eagles game. Time was of the essence. Something -- no matter how unorthodox -- needed to be done.

Ryan called Schwartz as the team bus headed back to Florham Park. The coach picked up his car at the team facility and went home, where Schwartz -- who left his home in Rockland County at 1 a.m. -- was waiting for him.

The agent explained the thought process behind his proposal and addressed the potential issues and concerns the team might have. Ryan asked questions.

"I think he now understood where we were coming from," Schwartz said. "I'm not saying he agreed with it. He just saw it from a different perspective."

They spoke about more than the contract, however. "I think we talked about baseball as much as we did football," Ryan said.

Schwartz and Ryan shared the same hobby: Collecting single-signed baseballs. Ryan expressed his desire to get a Satchel Paige autographed ball one day.

Although Ryan didn't do any negotiating, the encounter proved critical.

"That was the first of the chain of events that prompted this deal to get done," Schwartz said. "I truly believe that. It opened up the logjam. It got us back on the right track, because now everyone understood where everyone was at… It got everyone focused."

Ryan relayed the details of the meeting to Johnson and general manager Mike Tannenbaum later that morning. The coach called Schwartz and proposed the idea of flying down to Florida on Saturday afternoon to meet with his star cornerback and his family.

Schwartz signed off.

On Saturday, Ryan and Johnson flew south to get their man. Both sides spent the better part of Sunday trying to make it work. After the back-and-forth, after Ryan's now infamous tantrum, they finally struck a deal just before midnight on Sunday.

While the Florida trip grabbed the headlines, the meeting between Ryan and Schwartz in the early hours of Friday was the real breakthrough. Before the men shook hands and parted ways just before 4 a.m., Ryan made it clear that he couldn't accept Schwartz's present.

"Neil, I don't want the jersey," Ryan said, turning serious. "I want him."

Two surreal days later, he got his wish.

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at [url]http://Twitter.com/TheJetsStream[/url].[/QUOTE]

Read more: [url]http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/#ixzz0zEtcahV6[/url]

They could make a short movie out of this stuff.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3726986][B]Schwartz and Ryan were brought together by a mutual friend[/B][/QUOTE]

Incarcerated Bob? :eek::D

Seriously, nice read.

i know its been said before but Manish Mehta is legit.

good read

thanks!

All Pro
    Rex is a better man then me. no way in hell I would let an agent into my house, especially at 2am.

I would not let him past the front door, he would have to do his talking from the front porch.

Jets Insider VIP
    manish mehta

BEST

my bet is is predecessor published his daily espn report detailing all the negatives about the Jets and repeating his prediction of a Ravens victory

I've been in a lot of negotiations and I think this one sounds like the most ridiculous (and, perhaps, dumbest) I've ever heard. This should have been done months ago. Roscoe Diner meetings, meetings at Rex's home, meetings with Revis, Gilbert, etc. Where the hell were the normal, formal business meetings? Perhaps, they should have been meeting at the front-end instead of the back-end. I have to believe the agents probably took a hard-line stance zero-sum method. Otherwise, it makes no sense. Collective bargaining agreements are generally agreed-upon in less time and are more complex than Revis's contract. I would have let Revis rot for the way this was handled (and eventually his agents would have been fired).

[QUOTE=escamoter2;3727038]I've been in a lot of negotiations and I think this one sounds like the most ridiculous (and, perhaps, dumbest) I've ever heard. This should have been done months ago. Roscoe Diner meetings, meetings at Rex's home, meetings with Revis, Gilbert, etc. Where the hell were the normal, formal business meetings? Perhaps, they should have been meeting at the front-end instead of the back-end. I have to believe the agents probably took a hard-line stance zero-sum method. Otherwise, it makes no sense. Collective bargaining agreements are generally agreed-upon in less time and are more complex than Revis's contract. I would have let Revis rot for the way this was handled (and eventually his agents would have been fired).[/QUOTE]

There was no sense of urgency i.e. season about to start, a few months ago...

This is Neil Schwartz feeding his version of events to a reporter in an effort to slap some lipstick on their compete collapse in their attempts to Get the Jets to pay Asomugha type money.

Great read :yes:

So am I the only that is failing to see how this meeting would have helped? AFAICT, the agent comes over to Rex's house, he blathers on about what they want, and Rex just listens. All the time pointing to a Revis jersey... WTF? Sounds freaky, not helpful...

What am I missing?

[QUOTE=20andout;3727074]This is Neil Schwartz feeding his version of events to a reporter in an effort to slap some lipstick on their compete collapse in their attempts to Get the Jets to pay Asomugha type money.[/QUOTE]
    Very interesting take

Jets Insider VIP
    Interesting. A few thoughts...

1. This shows for the first time (at least as far as I know) that there was some anxiety in Camp Revis. Schwartz initiating this meeting at Rex's house tells me that they absolutely didn't want to head into the season without Darrelle under a new contract. The idea that it was all the Jets panicking and sending the owner to FL to beg Revis to come back is nowhere close to reality.

2. I really wonder what Schwartz's concerns were. With Darrelle's current contract and the possibility of a lockout in 2011, what did he try to make Rex see from Revis' side? Was it related to injury guarantees, elite compensation (e.g. Aso money), performance recognition if Revis wins the next 4 DPOY Awards? I'm just trying to understand what the real perspective was that Schwartz had on this whole thing given that his client was entering this season with a real possibility of the opt out/buyback scenarios pocketing them over $20 in guaranteed money.

3. Kudos to Rex. He's a ball coach who has everyone wanting to play for him. For as many times as Rex was passed over for other HC positions in previous years because he wasn't "polished" and could be very mouthy in front of cameras (we all know it now :D) he has proved to be INTEGRAL in this process and diplomatic enough to get this thing resolved. He's a ball coach who wanted his best player back....and he got him. :yes:
    Last edited by jetstream23; 09-11-2010 at 03:28 PM.

[QUOTE=escamoter2;3727038]I've been in a lot of negotiations and I think this one sounds like the most ridiculous (and, perhaps, dumbest) I've ever heard. This should have been done months ago. Roscoe Diner meetings, meetings at Rex's home, meetings with Revis, Gilbert, etc. Where the hell were the normal, formal business meetings? Perhaps, they should have been meeting at the front-end instead of the back-end. I have to believe the agents probably took a hard-line stance zero-sum method. Otherwise, it makes no sense. Collective bargaining agreements are generally agreed-upon in less time and are more complex than Revis's contract. I would have let Revis rot for the way this was handled (and eventually his agents would have been fired).[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you're a Jets fan, and if you are , you have to realize that nothing is ever easy for the Jets. We were supposed to be happy going into camp with all of our new toys, and wham, one of the most important ones decides he's not going to be there without a new contract! :O

[QUOTE=20andout;3727074]This is Neil Schwartz feeding his version of events to a reporter in an effort to slap some lipstick on their compete collapse in their attempts to Get the Jets to pay Asomugha type money.[/QUOTE]

Except over the next two seasons he IS getting Aso $$ . . .

[QUOTE=C Mart;3727043]There was no sense of urgency i.e. season about to start, a few months ago...[/QUOTE]

I think it had nothing to do with urgency and everything to do with the agents trying to dictate the terms instead of negotiating them. I think further evidence is the Jackson and Mankins situations.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3727117]Interesting. A few thoughts...

[B]1. This shows for the first time (at least as far as I know) that there was some anxiety in Camp Revis. Schwartz initiating this meeting at Rex's house tells me that they absolutely didn't want to head into the season without Darrelle under a new contract. The idea that it was all the Jets panicking and sending the owner to FL to beg Revis to come back is nowhere close to reality.[/B]

2. I really wonder what Schwartz's concerns were. With Darrelle's current contract and the possibility of a lockout in 2011, what did he try to make Rex see from Revis' side? Was it related to injury guarantees, elite compensation (e.g. Aso money), performance recognition if Revis wins the next 4 DPOY Awards? I'm just trying to understand what the real perspective was that Schwartz had on this whole thing given that his client was entering this season with a real possibility of the opt out/buyback scenarios pocketing them over $20 in guaranteed money.

3. Kudos to Rex. He's a ball coach who has everyone wanting to play for him. For as many times as Rex was passed over for other HC positions in previous years because he wasn't "polished" and could be very mouthy in front of cameras (we all know it now :D) he has proved to be INTEGRAL in this process and diplomatic enough to get this thing resolved. He's a ball coach who wanted his best player back....and he got him. :yes:[/QUOTE]

This meeting essentially confirms what logic already told us....namely, there is no way that Revis would have held out this season. He was holding out for the best deal possible and the Jets did fairly well holding the line. They had some type of internal deadline and they were getting pretty close to it.

Granted, they still ended up giving him a pretty penny, but they didn't cave to his huge demands.

All Pro
    sound to me like a whole lot of bull-c h i t, to me ole rexy got taken for a ride I must say don't cha know!

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3727117]Interesting. A few thoughts...

1. This shows for the first time (at least as far as I know) that there was some anxiety in Camp Revis. Schwartz initiating this meeting at Rex's house tells me that they absolutely didn't want to head into the season without Darrelle under a new contract. The idea that it was all the Jets panicking and sending the owner to FL to beg Revis to come back is nowhere close to reality.

3. Kudos to Rex. He's a ball coach who has everyone wanting to play for him. For as many times as Rex was passed over for other HC positions in previous years because he wasn't "polished" and could be very mouthy in front of cameras (we all know it now :D) he has proved to be INTEGRAL in this process and diplomatic enough to get this thing resolved. He's a ball coach who wanted his best player back....and he got him. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Your first point seems to be entirely accurate. I read a couple quotes from Woody the other day and he seemed resigned to playing this season without Revis. His statements were something along the lines of "if they think I am gonna get any MORE concerend or worried as the season gets closer, they have another thing coming."

He also made another statement saying they would play with the players they have, or something like that.

They bluffed and failed. Credit Tanny and Woody for their poker faces in this one.

so schwanz makes a meeting with rex that tannenbaum and/or woody has no knowledge of? it seems to me if rex was approached by schwanz's go between he would have given tanny and or woody a heads up. the meeting may have been private but there were other people who knew about it.