Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason Taylor ready to play 60 to 70 snaps

Jets Insider VIP

Jason Taylor ready to play 60 to 70 snaps

Jason Taylor acknowledges aching body but says he's ready to play 60 or 70 snaps
    Published: Saturday, September 11, 2010, 2:00 PM Updated: Saturday, September 11, 2010, 2:14 PM
    Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Jason Taylor didn't paint a glowing picture of the health of his 36-year-old body, saying that parts do ache and mornings can be hard.

"Being in the league 14 years, there are things you can't do as much as you used to," the Jets outside linebacker said. "It gets a little more difficult to tie your shoes and do certain things. But there are plenty of things that get you loosened up and warmed on game days, and all that matters is those four hours."

Taylor is expected to start in those four hours Monday night, with Calvin Pace out for at least this week and potentially more following surgery on a broken bone in his foot. But as for the wear and tear affecting his play, Taylor said he played 60 to 70 snaps in each game for the Dolphins last year and will be able to do the same for the Jets.

"Yeah, why not?" he asked.

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said Friday that Taylor is in "fantastic shape." But Pettine added that they probably won't use him the complete game and will rotate at outside linebacker and defensive end -- likely with Vernon Gholston -- in different personnel groupings.

Taylor was brought in to be a situational pass rusher, but Pace's injury changed the plans. Coming off offseason shoulder surgery, he sat out during organized team activities in the spring and really began assimilating into the defense during training camp.

"I know it all, or know enough to not mess up," Taylor said. "I feel confident. I understand what I need to do. I understand where I fit the concept of the defense. When you understand the concept and where you fit and where you work off the guy next to you, it helps you play at a different speed and anticipate what may or may not happen to you."

Taylor said HBO's "Hard Knocks" "made me look like an idiot," depicting him getting lost or being late to a handful of games and practices. Taylor said he made one wrong turn and was late as a result once, and pointed out that he would have been on time to the Hofstra practice but the Jets moved it up 30 to 45 minutes because a thunderstorm was headed for the area.

"As far as the buying in thing, it hasn’t been a question from the first second that he’s walked in the door here," Pettine said. "He’s one of the most humble, well-liked guys on the team. He instantly meshed himself right into the fabric of the defensive room from the first day."

Pettine added that Taylor has absorbed the playbook and welcomed critiques on his technique.

It doesn't look like S Brodney Pool (ankle) will play Monday night. Look for Eric Smith to start in his place. Pool said he is optimistic, but only took scout team reps today, which is not a good sign.

"It's going to be up to the coaches," said Pool, who will be listed as questionable. "It's just going to come down to how I feel Monday."

Said coach Rex Ryan: "He's almost at that point where (we say), 'Do we push him through it and risk him (having) more of a longer, nagging injury? Or do we give him a little time off so he gets to 100 percent? That's what we're weighing now. Brodney wants to play, so we're still looking at that."

Union rep Tony Richardson said a decision had not been made yet on whether or not the Jets will join in the gesture the Vikings and Saints made Thursday night, when they raised a single finger to express union solidarity.

Hall Of Fame
    Taylor is done.

At least we'll be able to boo him like the good old days.

All League
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3727100]Taylor is done.

At least we'll be able to boo him like the good old days.[/QUOTE]

LOL :clapper:

Jets Insider VIP

Thanks for your keen and astute observation. Please list your impressive list of credentails as a talent evaluator. Perhaps, D-Rex and / or Mr.T will see them and hire you forthwith. We obviously need a talent scout with your amazing ability!:yes::D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3727107]Thanks for your keen and astute observation. Please list your impressive list of credentails as a talent evaluator. Perhaps, D-Rex and / or Mr.T will see them and hire you forthwith. We obviously need a talent scout with your amazing ability!:yes::D[/QUOTE]

Clemens and Gholston will suck too.

Not to mention I think we are getting roidless Jason Taylor. Which sucks for us.
    Last edited by Timmy®; 09-11-2010 at 03:13 PM.

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3727107]Thanks for your keen and astute observation. Please list your impressive list of credentails as a talent evaluator. Perhaps, D-Rex and / or Mr.T will see them and hire you forthwith. We obviously need a talent scout with your amazing ability!:yes::D[/QUOTE]

Can you give Tanny a call and ask him if the Boar hunter is starting this week?

Jets Insider VIP
    Timmy

you must have accidentally forgot to list ONE more who sucks

YOU as a poster

I hope Jason Taylor doesn't even approach 60 to 70 snaps on defense. There's no need for that.....rotate him with Westerman or Gholston or somebody on run downs.

When was anything other even an option? I'm counting the days until that insect is off the team.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    He did come off like a kunt in HK.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=sg3;3727120]Timmy

YOU as a poster[/QUOTE]

+ 3

All League
    [QUOTE=sg3;3727120]Timmy

YOU as a poster[/QUOTE]

+1

[QUOTE=sg3;3727120]Timmy

YOU as a poster[/QUOTE]

lol, this coming from you.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=sg3;3727120]Timmy

YOU as a poster[/QUOTE]

Well played sir:D

+1

all the people trashing him are the same people who will praise him right when he does something good. Too much back and forth why not let the first game happen before talking. I'm not saying he isnt done, but I will withhold my opinion till the season actually starts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I don't have any problem putting personal feelings aside, he'll get some hurries, knockdowns, and sacks for us, that's all that matters.

And if the Ravens manage to get 70 offensive plays, that's a loss for the Jets.

[QUOTE=intothegreen;3727221]+1

all the people trashing him are the same people who will praise him right when he does something good. Too much back and forth why not let the first game happen before talking. I'm not saying he isnt done, but I will withhold my opinion till the season actually starts.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

I don't believe that Jason Taylor is done as an impact OLB, I actually feel that he'll flourish with this Jets defense under Rex Ryan. Last year, JT put up 7 sacks for the Dolphins. Like I was saying in another thread, if Taylor could put up 7 sacks with Miami, there should be nothing stopping Taylor from putting up a solid 9-12 sacks this season.

What does Jason Taylor have with the Jets, that he didn't have with the Dolphins?

- A defense led by Rex Ryan himself.

- A secondary led by talented CB's such as Revis, Cromarite and Wilson. Our CB's should allow Taylor more time, in terms of getting after opposing QB's, than what the Dolphins secondary could do for Jason Taylor last season.

- One hell of a 1-2 punch at the IMLB positions with David Harris and Bart Scott. Channing Crowder? Give me a break. You know it's bad when the Dolphins most talented 3-4 IMLB last season, would be our 3rd string IMLB behind two studs.

- Kris Jenkins as our NT. Kris Jenkins demands double teams, that alone should free up some of our LB's, such as JT.

I feel that our defense will do for Jason Taylor, in the same types of ways that our offensive line will rejuvenate the career of L.T for at least 1 season. These guys have always been impact players, and I feel our defensive system is perfect for a proven pass rusher in Jason Taylor, who knows exactly how to feast off of opposing QB's.

It's easier for you to like Jason Taylor.

You walk around in a Zach Thomas jersey.

Obviously, you and other fans are on a different wave length...

Hey you Taylor haters need to get over it. He's a Jet now. He's part of their 53 ok. If you don't route for him then you might as well go in your cubbie hole and cry! Believe me it wasn't easy for him to go to his most hated rival but it's a business and he is wanted here by the coaches and players. I mean are u actually looking forward to booing him? A true Jet fan would be wanting to cheer him for a sack. I'm thinking about wearing a Taylor Jets jersey down in Miami lol.

[QUOTE=george jetfan from miami;3727519]Hey you Taylor haters need to get over it. He's a Jet now. He's part of their 53 ok. If you don't route for him then you might as well go in your cubbie hole and cry! Believe me it wasn't easy for him to go to his most hated rival but it's a business and he is wanted here by the coaches and players. I mean are u actually looking forward to booing him? A true Jet fan would be wanting to cheer him for a sack. I'm thinking about wearing a Taylor Jets jersey down in Miami lol.[/QUOTE]

Do you go back to hating him when he retires a fin next year or the year after?

Do you have some switch you just choose to flip on and off when you dislike something or somebody?

Really?

I don't.