Thread: Sanchez taking that next step forward.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanchez taking that next step forward.

All I want is for Sanchez to take the next step, to be able to read defenses better and to acquire more of a leadership role in the offense. I don't expect him to have become a fully-formed, top echelon quarterback after just one year of full play. To be able to balance out the offense so that we're equally distributed in run and pass, and to diminish his interception numbers---that would make me ecstatic. In other words, all I want him to do is to replicate the level of play that he demonstrated in last year's playoffs---consistently.

Is he on his way to doing this? I believe, yes. I believe that he will be amazing in two or three years. Having said that, watch him come out slinging on monday night. No huddle? Why not?

[I]GO SANCHEZ![/I]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Three words:

Sophomore slump.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3727469]Three words:

Sophomore slump.[/QUOTE]

Excellent...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even when Aaron Rodgers was going through his growth spurts he produced decent numbers - 28/13 and 4,000 yds. I don't expect those numbers from Sanchez, and given his play in preseason as an indicator, I suspect a very slow progression in year 2. I suspect he will get a bit better and this is what I predict

Sanchez will have a ok year with 22-16 and the Jet's end up with a 8-8 record.
    Where not as good as we think we are (Ryan) and while our defense will be a top 5 this year (down from last year) our offense doesn't produce enough points to get us over the hump.

I think our OL suffers at the LG spot and I still say that we should have gotten a veteran G to play that position while Slauson and Decasse learn for a year or two.

Our offense also suffers because while Keller is a solid pass catcher he doesn't have the size to consistently block well and were forced to play another TE to block. The complete Offenses in this league have solid TE's that block well and catch (see Shockey, Gates, Crumpler, Witten).

Our defense wins us a couple of games and Sanchez holds us back from one of the elite teams in this league. The difference between 11-5/12-4 and 8-8 is Sanchez.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrickHouse;3727515]Even when Aaron Rodgers was going through his growth spurts he produced decent numbers - 28/13 and 4,000 yds. I don't expect those numbers from Sanchez, and given his play in preseason as an indicator, I suspect a very slow progression in year 2. I suspect he will get a bit better and this is what I predict

Where not as good as we think we are (Ryan) and while our defense will be a top 5 this year (down from last year) our offense doesn't produce enough points to get us over the hump.

I think our OL suffers at the LG spot and I still say that we should have gotten a veteran G to play that position while Slauson and Decasse learn for a year or two.

Our offense also suffers because while Keller is a solid pass catcher he doesn't have the size to consistently block well and were forced to play another TE to block. The complete Offenses in this league have solid TE's that block well and catch (see Shockey, Gates, Crumpler, Witten).

Our defense wins us a couple of games and Sanchez holds us back from one of the elite teams in this league. The difference between 11-5/12-4 and 8-8 is Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure those were Rodger's numbers for his 4th or 5th season of his career.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Maury77;3727616]I'm pretty sure those were Rodger's numbers for his 4th or 5th season of his career.[/QUOTE]

Correct.

He didn't start a game his first three seasons, and only got in 2-3 games each season.

His 4th season was the "breakout" one, with last year building on that.

I still think Sanchez has more weapons around him that Rodgers does. Rodgers just makes the players around him BETTER.

If Sanchez ever got to the point where he made Edwards/Holmes/Cotchery/Keller "better" -- LOOK OUT . . .

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrickHouse;3727515]Even when Aaron Rodgers was going through his growth spurts he produced decent numbers - 28/13 and 4,000 yds. I don't expect those numbers from Sanchez, and given his play in preseason as an indicator, I suspect a very slow progression in year 2. I suspect he will get a bit better and this is what I predict

Where not as good as we think we are (Ryan) and while our defense will be a top 5 this year (down from last year) our offense doesn't produce enough points to get us over the hump

Our defense wins us a couple of games and Sanchez holds us back from one of the elite teams in this league. The difference between 11-5/12-4 and 8-8 is Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

WTF u r so wrong our d will be first and Sanchez will do about that he will control games win one and loose one. 10-6 to 12-4 enough said:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=genghis45;3727270]All I want is for Sanchez to take the next step, to be able to read defenses better and to acquire more of a leadership role in the offense. I don't expect him to have become a fully-formed, top echelon quarterback after just one year of full play. To be able to balance out the offense so that we're equally distributed in run and pass, and to diminish his interception numbers---that would make me ecstatic. In other words, all I want him to do is to replicate the level of play that he demonstrated in last year's playoffs---consistently.

Is he on his way to doing this? I believe, yes. I believe that he will be amazing in two or three years. Having said that, watch him come out slinging on monday night. No huddle? Why not?

[I]GO SANCHEZ![/I][/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this one. May eat my words, but I think Sanchez will be much better than expected and will be gunning against the Ravens. The Jets would be crazy to lay back and play ground and pound against the Ravens run D. The only thing that will hold the Jets back from a playoff spot is unwillingness to let Sanchez loose out of fear of mistakes. Especially against the elite teams. Release the Chupacabra! :yes:

[IMG]http://www.ghosttheory.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/chupacabras.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by long island leprechaun; 09-12-2010 at 08:38 AM.