Thread: Mike Nugent

Mike Nugent

i see on gamecenter that he's 1-1 with a 54 yard field goal today. always felt that Nuge was the better out of the 2 between he and Feely, but he got a raw deal due to the injury. Nugent really did get a pretty bad rap with Jets fans, he was very reliable for us (other than, ironically enough, week 1 games).

You're kidding me, right?

the 'nuge' pick was widely panned but dont forget they got justin miller that year in the 2nd, so it was playing with house money.

sabastian janikowski has had his ups and downs but he's been 11 years with the same team... the Jets could have used more patience with Nuge but he had lost his mojo pretty good. So i can't really blame them for moving on.

the 1 failing I have with the selection, Nuge was always a poor fit for the nyc media circus. He's an Ohio guy through and through. So much of kicking is where these guy's heads are at, not their feet.

Nugent wasn't going to make it here, and the organization didn't want him here. It was a mutual separation, and I think it was better for both sides. Good luck to Mike.

Yeah, Nugent. Mr. "Cold Weather Kicker". F**k you, you blew it on the New York stage. In a big spot, this prick chokes. Enjoy your season in Cincy, clown.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3728097]the 'nuge' pick was widely panned but dont forget they got justin miller that year in the 2nd, so it was playing with house money.

sabastian janikowski has had his ups and downs but he's been 11 years with the same team... the Jets could have used more patience with Nuge but he had lost his mojo pretty good. So i can't really blame them for moving on.

the 1 failing I have with the selection, Nuge was always a poor fit for the nyc media circus. He's an Ohio guy through and through. So much of kicking is where these guy's heads are at, not their feet.[/QUOTE]

He was also cut by Tampa Bay, guess he wasn't a Florida guy either.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3728097]the 'nuge' pick was widely panned but dont forget they got justin miller that year in the 2nd, so it was playing with house money.

the 1 failing I have with the selection, Nuge was always a poor fit for the nyc media circus. He's an Ohio guy through and through. So much of kicking is where these guy's heads are at, not their feet.[/QUOTE]

His kickoffs were terrible. His issues with choking are legend in NY.

Veteran
    Mediocre kick-offs yes and some strange gimme misses early in his NFL career, yes. He was replaced while injured and not given a chance to get his old job back until training camp the following summer because the Feely was on a hot streak.

Most kickers take a few years to mature into the job, so yes he was given the hook way too quick. In Tampa he also had injury problems so call it Pennington'itis but let's not pretend he is not talented. If he stays healthy he will have a long and big career to match his outstanding college career. If he stays healthy this season he will have a better average than Jay Feely.

It's amazing how much time we spend discussing kickers and fringe practice squad players on this forum.