Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baltimore Sun: The Jets will "Eat Crow"

Veteran

Baltimore Sun: The Jets will "Eat Crow"

As a NJ native living in Baltimore, I am always annoyed by the Baltimore "rah rah" sports writers. But this really annoyed me (see link and story below...). And I feel like these writers are WAY off on the "Ravens pass offense versus Jets pass defense". And, I am sure I'll hear lots of lovely taunts when I wear my Jets tie to work tomorrow. J! E! T! S!:
    [url]http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-sp-scouting-report-0913-20100912,0,1511886.story[/url]

Monday Night Football scouting report: Ravens vs. Jets
    By Jamison Hensley, The Baltimore Sun
    7:11 PM EDT, September 12, 2010

SCOUTING REPORT: Game 1 AT N.Y. JETS

Ravens run offense vs. Jets run defense: Ray Rice is fresh after carrying the ball eight times this preseason. He began last year with a bang, rushing for 108 yards against the Kansas City Chiefs in the 2009 opener. But there's no comparison between the Chiefs run defense and the one from the Jets. New York ranked No. 8 in rushing yards per game (98.6 yards allowed) and No. 4 in yards per carry (3.8). And that was playing most of the season without three-time Pro Bowl nose tackle Kris Jenkins, who has returned this season. Taking on Jenkins could be the biggest challenge of the season for Ravens center Matt Birk. In six games against top-10 run defenses last season, Rice averaged 79.5 yards rushing.

Edge: EVEN

Ravens pass offense vs. Jets pass defense: Joe Flacco is primed for a breakout season, and he's surrounded by the most talent that he's ever had. The Jets have the returning top-ranked pass defense because they don't allow big plays. But Flacco will thrive on the intermediate routes, hitting Anquan Boldin, Derrick Mason and T.J. Houshmandzadeh. New York cornerback Darrelle Revis won't be on top of his game after a 36-day holdout, and cornerback Antonio Cromartie is overrated. The Ravens' biggest concern is at right tackle. Don't be surprised if the Ravens move Marshal Yanda from right guard to right tackle and start Chris Chester at right guard. Left tackle Michael Oher will likely match up against Jason Taylor, the NFL's active sack leader.

Edge: RAVENS

Jets run offense vs. Ravens run defense: The Jets ran the ball 58 percent of the time, a rate that shouldn't change this season. Shonn Greene, who led the NFL in rushing last postseason, takes over for Thomas Jones. He also averaged 5.0 yards per carry in the regular season. The Ravens led the NFL last season in fewest yards allowed per carry (3.4), but they had uncharacteristic lapses against Carolina and the New York Giants in the preseason. The Jets will have trouble running up the middle against the Ravens. The biggest mismatch of the game is Haloti Ngata against left guard Matt Slauson.

Edge: EVEN

Jets pass offense vs. Ravens pass defense: This is where the Ravens will be vulnerable this season. The Jets, though, don't have the quarterback to take advantage of it. Mark Sanchez completed 53.8 percent of his passes in the preseason and threw 20 interceptions. Plus, Santonio Holmes, who has hurt the Ravens more than any wide receiver the past four seasons, is suspended for this game. Ravens cornerback Lardarius Webb (probable, knee) is considered a game-time decision. Even without Webb, the Ravens should be able to handle Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery with Fabian Washington, Josh Wilson and Chris Carr. Tom Zbikowski will replace injured Ed Reed at safety, making his fifth start in the past six regular-season games. Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs has to win his battle with Pro Bowl left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Edge: RAVENS

SPECIAL TEAMS: Billy Cundiff won the Ravens kicking job on the strength of his kickoffs. He hit only 70 percent of his field goals last season, but he has looked solid this preseason. Jets kicker Nick Folk is extremely unreliable (he missed an extra point in the preseason). New York has dangerous Brad Smith returning kickoffs and Jim Leonhard running back punts. The Ravens haven't announced their punt returner, although it's expected that Tom Zbikowski will get the nod over Chris Carr.

EDGE: EVEN

INTANGIBLES: The Ravens are undefeated in season openers under coach John Harbaugh. There will be heightened emotions at the Jets' first game at the New Meadowlands Stadium. But the Ravens have a history of spoiling celebrations, from becoming the first visiting team to win at Pittsburgh's Heinz Field and Tennessee's LP Field to winning the final game at Dallas' Texas Stadium. The Jets weren't a strong team at home last season, going 4-4 with losses to Buffalo and Jacksonville. All of the Jets' talking has put a target squarely on their backs.

Edge: JETS

Prediction: Despite all of the hype surrounding the Jets, the Ravens are the superior team and they are motivated to show that to national television audience. Flacco will strike early a couple of times, and the Ravens defense will frustrate Sanchez. [B]The Ravens will make the Jets eat crow.[/B]

RAVENS, 27-13

LOL. If I am not mistaken weren't the Jets the number one pass defense with Revis and **** corners?? LOL, good luck with Revis, Cro, and Wilson.

Wow...That was just bad. When did Revis lose raw ability?? If it were Reggie Wayne then yeah I would say that hold out will make a difference, but Boldin is a possession receiver, and when the hell did Cromartie just become overrated?? I think he is also forgetting that the Jets did have the #1 defense in the league last year, and they have added a lot of new and better faces. Hmm oh well lolz.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jetsfan920;3728640]LOL. If I am not mistaken weren't the Jets the number one pass defense with Revis and **** corners?? LOL, [B]good luck with Revis, Cro, and Wilson[/B].[/QUOTE]

exactly. My thought is "who you gonna throw against?" And... "good luck with that"

I'm outraged.

Man everyone is jumping on the Raven's bandwagon and it really doesn't help that I work with a bunch of Raven's fans. I hope the Jets completely stomp the $hit out of them tomorrow night!!!! As per the Baltimore Sun's review we don't stand and chance in hell and we should just stay home.

Crow? The Jets are gonna eat raven.

Wonder what will happen if the Jets beat them and Flacco throws 3 picks, and Sanchez throws for 327 yards for 3 TD's? Hmm wonder what reaction will happen then?

oh brother. i hope they keep it up.

how on earth they give the ravens pass offense the advantage is beyond me. it's not like the ravens receivers are 5 years younger than they are. they are a bit long of tooth and will have trouble. cromartie overrated? maybe, he has yet to return to his 2007 form but he is still better than shepard and the jets were no. 1 last season. revis? hard to say how much he needs to relearn. ty law used to be able to do it and he was older when he tried. finally the whole crack about harbaugh winning all of his opening day games is a bit over the top. how many games is that? 3? heck rex has won all of his openers too. so much for significant statistics.

we'll see. game on in less than 24 hours.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qzZ-ht7tP0[/url]

[QUOTE=MTJets;3728667]Wonder what will happen if the Jets beat them and Flacco throws 3 picks, and Sanchez throws for 327 yards for 3 TD's? Hmm wonder what reaction will happen then?[/QUOTE]

SuperBawl champs :cool:

:P lolz first article after win will be named that :D. I can just see the game not living up to hype though. Having Sanchez or Flacco just breakout surprisingly. IMO Flacco is NOT breaking out on this defense.

Jets Insider VIP
    like my Fast Friend FF2, I too am outraged

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Lolz....Having been down this road before.

Thats all I can say.

I even plan on using that as a title of a thread.

:rolleyes:

Win, then talk ****. Not the other way around.

All League
    As a fellow Baltimore Jet fan (or close enough) I can sympathize with what the OP is saying. I've been hearing so much talk from Raven nation for the past few weeks, it's gotten old.My gut tells me we're gonna drop this one in a close finish, but maybe thats just the SOJF in me. The Jets can win tomorrow night. Tomorrow is going to have the atmosphere of a playoff game and I can't wait.

I don't understand how anyone could give the Ravens pass offense the "advantage" over a pass defense that not only ranked #1 last season in just about every category in pass defense, but also upgraded in major ways with the additions of Antonio Cromarite and Kyle Wilson.

Also, how can anyone expect Anquan Boldin to put up anything more than 3 catches for 30 yards against #24? Did this sports writer not see the types of true #1 WR's that Revis shut down last season? Boldin may be a really solid #2 WR, but he's nothing like true #1 WR's such as Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, Andre Johnson and Steve Smith - All WR's that Revis shut down.

It's also funny how this writer never even mentioned Kyle Wilson when talking about our pass defense.

And when talking about our passing attack, like Wilson, he never even mentioned Dustin Keller or L.T.

I thought it was pretty funny when he said "[B]The Jets ran the ball 58 percent of the time, [I]a rate that shouldn't change this season[/I]."[/B] The Jets will still be a ground and pound offense this season, but that just goes to show how little this sports writer really knows about the Jets of this season. With Sanchez no longer playing as a raw rookie, with the additions of Holmes and L.T, he's dead wrong when feeling that a 58-42 run to pass ratio wont change.

This man doesn't even have basic football 101 when writing about his own team. When talking about the Ravens pass attack, he failed to mention two key players in Rice and Heap - Two of their biggest weapons heading into Monday Night.

All League
    All I have to say is.. BRING IT.

[QUOTE=Bleed4TheGreen;3728782]I don't understand how anyone could give the Ravens pass offense the "advantage" over a pass defense that not only ranked #1 last season in just about every category in pass defense, but also upgraded in major ways with the additions of Antonio Cromarite and Kyle Wilson.

Also, how can anyone expect Anquan Boldin to put up anything more than 3 catches for 30 yards against #24? Did this sports writer not see the types of true #1 WR's that Revis shut down last season? Boldin may be a really solid #2 WR, but he's nothing like true #1 WR's such as Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, Andre Johnson and Steve Smith - All WR's that Revis shut down.

It's also funny how this writer never even mentioned Kyle Wilson when talking about our pass defense.

And when talking about our passing attack, like Wilson, he never even mentioned Dustin Keller or L.T.

I thought it was pretty funny when he said "[B]The Jets ran the ball 58 percent of the time, [I]a rate that shouldn't change this season[/I]."[/B] The Jets will still be a ground and pound offense this season, but that just goes to show how little this sports writer really knows about the Jets of this season. With Sanchez no longer playing as a raw rookie, with the additions of Holmes and L.T, he's dead wrong when feeling that a 58-42 run to pass ratio wont change.

This man doesn't even have basic football 101 when writing about his own team. When talking about the Ravens pass attack, he failed to mention two key players in Rice and Heap - Two of their biggest weapons heading into Monday Night.[/QUOTE]

People around here severely underrate Boldin.

All League
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;3728798]People around here severely underrate Boldin.[/QUOTE]

Boldin is a force, not going to underestimate him.
    Jets need to contain him and Rice.
    Not a small task by any means.
    BRING IT.