Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: LB/ST Marques Murrell Released by New England

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

LB/ST Marques Murrell Released by New England

[I]The Patriots announced that they have released linebacker Marques Murrell. about 1 hour ago via web[/I]

[url]http://twitter.com/ravensinsider[/url]

Maybe after game 1, when 2010 salaries are no longer guaranteed, bring him back? We're kinda thin at LB and could always use another good ST player.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3730173][I]The Patriots announced that they have released linebacker Marques Murrell. about 1 hour ago via web[/I]

[url]http://twitter.com/ravensinsider[/url]

Maybe after game 1, when 2010 salaries are no longer guaranteed, bring him back? We're kinda thin at LB and could always use another good ST player.[/QUOTE]

Belleyache picked his brains about the Jets. Now he has no use for him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another Belichick personnel FAIL.

I don't think we're that thin at LB but wouldn't mind bringing him back anyway to play specials. He was pretty good for us there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always liked him. Considering the Pats lbs, I wonder why he got cut?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheFranchise;3730190]I always liked him. Considering the Pats lbs, I wonder why he got cut?[/QUOTE]

Because he's still a project at LB and he's merely an average STer. Not a terrible guy to have on your team as one of the last few roster spots, but the older he gets, the less upside there is.

I always liked him and was mildly disappointed that they let him go, but it probably came down to him and Cummings as to who to keep and Cummings was simply the better player and played a position that needed depth on the Jets (ILB) as opposed to OLB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheFranchise;3730190]I always liked him. Considering the Pats lbs, I wonder why he got cut?[/QUOTE]

Apparently to make room on the 53 man roster for Kaczur:

[QUOTE]
    by Jeff Howe on Sep 13, 2010 3:36:15 PM

FOXBORO, Mass. -- The Patriots must be optimistic about offensive lineman Nick Kaczur.
    New England released outside linebacker Marques Murrell on Monday in a move that was necessary to stay within the league's 53-man roster limit. [/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.nesn.com/2010/09/patriots-release-outside-linebacker-marques-murrell.html[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3730197]Because he's still a project at LB and he's merely an average STer. Not a terrible guy to have on your team as one of the last few roster spots, but the older he gets, the less upside there is.

I always liked him and was mildly disappointed that they let him go, but it probably came down to him and Cummings as to who to keep and Cummings was simply the better player and played a position that needed depth on the Jets (ILB) as opposed to OLB.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense. Thanks for the response. I'd take Cummings every time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3730199]Apparently to make room on the 53 man roster for Kaczur:

[url]http://www.nesn.com/2010/09/patriots-release-outside-linebacker-marques-murrell.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Actually, Kaczur is already on the roster. OL Quinn Ojinnaka (who was added to provide depth on the OL given Kaczur and Mankins' doubtful status) is coming off suspension and needs a roster spot.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If a LB cant make it with the Patriots, there is no way in hell that same LB could ever find a home with the Jets defense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3730197]Because he's still a project at LB and he's merely an average STer. Not a terrible guy to have on your team as one of the last few roster spots, but the older he gets, the less upside there is.

I always liked him and was mildly disappointed that they let him go, but it probably came down to him and Cummings as to who to keep and Cummings was simply the better player and played a position that needed depth on the Jets (ILB) as opposed to OLB.[/QUOTE]

+1. He is a nice role player and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him stay on the team if there was more room, but he's not as strong an STer as Tracy White and not as good/promising an OLB as the other guys they have (Banta Cain, Ninkovich and Cunningham).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bleed4TheGreen;3730214]If a LB cant make it with the Patriots, there is no way in hell that same LB could ever find a home with the Jets defense.[/QUOTE]

actually, I agree with this here in 2010.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the requisite "SIGN THIS BEAST"!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    bring him back if only to make him captain next week.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a genius Trojan Horse play by Belichick. He fills him full of wrong moves on ST so that he messes up the Jets counter moves !