Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did the Revis holdout cost us the game?

Did the Revis holdout cost us the game?

First off, I know there were many other factors that turned this game from a win into a loss. But other than the obvious ones, the one that jumps out to me could be the effects of the Revis holdout.

From what I saw, I don't think Revis gave up more than 1 or 2 catches to the man he was covering the entire game, like the usual Revis. However, Boldin lit up the rest of our corners and had well over 100 yards receiving. Some of his biggest catches were against Kyle Wilson. They led to points for the Ravens and kept the ball away from our offense, which sucked anyway, but a couple of extra possessions could have helped.

Now, I could be wrong but in last years games it looked like Revis was playing a hell of a lot more man to man on the opposing team's best receiver and consistently annihilated them week to week. It seems almost like in tonight's game we didnt just match up Revis 1 on 1 on Boldin on the majority of plays and I cant understand why. Is it possible the Jets didnt trust Revis and his football shape to cover Boldin the entire game, by far their #1 receiver and by far the hardest assignment for a Jet corner? Did the Jets want to ease it up a little bit for Revis by only having to take Boldin on some plays and another Ravens receiver on other plays?

I could be wrong about this, but I would just like to hear everyone else's thoughts.

The last thing to complain about in that miserable showing was the defense.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Revis was the best CB on the field tonight by far.

[QUOTE=pauliec;3732019]The last thing to complain about in that miserable showing was the defense.[/QUOTE]

I know. I stated that. I am just questioning whether this could have been an additional factor. I know the offense sucked and thats the main reason we lost.

I believe the other DB's were covering Boldin at certain times because the staff was concerned about how Mason was blowing by them, therefore the switch to have Revis cover him. Despite missing so much time, Revis is still the man and he will be put on whoever the coaching staff feels most dangerous at that particular time. JMO.

[QUOTE=Piper;3732021]Revis was the best CB on the field tonight by far.[/QUOTE]

I know and I clearly stated that in the post. Read the entire post.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetglass;3732013]First off, I know there were many other factors that turned this game from a win into a loss. But other than the obvious ones, the one that jumps out to me could be the effects of the Revis holdout.

From what I saw, I don't think Revis gave up more than 1 or 2 catches to the man he was covering the entire game, like the usual Revis. However, Boldin lit up the rest of our corners and had well over 100 yards receiving. Some of his biggest catches were against Kyle Wilson. They led to points for the Ravens and kept the ball away from our offense, which sucked anyway, but a couple of extra possessions could have helped.

Now, I could be wrong but in last years games it looked like Revis was playing a hell of a lot more man to man on the opposing team's best receiver and consistently annihilated them week to week. It seems almost like in tonight's game we didnt just match up Revis 1 on 1 on Boldin on the majority of plays and I cant understand why. Is it possible the Jets didnt trust Revis and his football shape to cover Boldin the entire game, by far their #1 receiver and by far the hardest assignment for a Jet corner? Did the Jets want to ease it up a little bit for Revis by only having to take Boldin on some plays and another Ravens receiver on other plays?

I could be wrong about this, but I would just like to hear everyone else's thoughts.[/QUOTE]

Mason is their #1, and Revis shut him down.

I think Kyle Wilson's a$$ will be bleeding for a week after tonight.

[QUOTE=Piper;3732021]Revis was the best CB on the field tonight by far.[/QUOTE]

+1, suprised as I might be, this was unquestionably true.

All League
    Did people on this board watch the same Jets game? How the f*ck do they keep questioning , second guessing, and bagging on the D and NOT rant about the O ??!!

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=pauliec;3732019]The last thing to complain about in that miserable showing was the defense.[/QUOTE]

+1.

Brian Schottenheimer's distrust of his hand-picked QB is what cost us this game as well as the AFC Championship Game, for that matter. How much longer can this go on?

SAR I

No. This was coaching.

[QUOTE=chirorob;3732026]Mason is their #1, and Revis shut him down.

I think Kyle Wilson's a$$ will be bleeding for a week after tonight.[/QUOTE]

Really? Mason was in the past obviously because they had no one else. Clearly Boldin is far and away the best receiver. Would we have had different results if we stuck Revis on Boldin the entire game and Wilson on Mason? There is really no comparison in talent between Mason and Boldin, especially at this point in Mason's career.

[QUOTE=JetBidi;3732031]Did people on this board watch the same Jets game? How the f*ck do they keep questioning , second guessing, and bagging on the D and NOT rant about the O ??!![/QUOTE]

Read the ENTIRE post. I said it might have been contributing factor. Obviously almost all the blame goes on the offense, but not all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Revis' covered Boldin, Mason and Housh at different times. It was Rex's and Pettine's call on who was covering who, I don't agree that his conditioning had anything to do with it. I think Revis gave up 0 catches, 0 yards.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yes. Let's kill him.

[QUOTE=DevsJetsYanks88;3732023]I believe the other DB's were covering Boldin at certain times because the staff was concerned about how Mason was blowing by them, therefore the switch to have Revis cover him. Despite missing so much time, Revis is still the man and he will be put on whoever the coaching staff feels most dangerous at that particular time. JMO.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, solid point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=DevsJetsYanks88;3732023]I believe the other DB's were covering Boldin at certain times because the staff was concerned about how Mason was blowing by them, therefore the switch to have Revis cover him. Despite missing so much time, Revis is still the man and he will be put on whoever the coaching staff feels most dangerous at that particular time. JMO.[/QUOTE]

Said it better than I did.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3732047]Said it better than I did.[/QUOTE]
    He made a good point and maybe it could go either way, but ESPN seemed to agree with me in the article today about Revis vs.moss.

"The wild card Sunday could be Revis' conditioning, coming off a 36-day holdout. Coach Rex Ryan was concerned enough to limit Revis' role in Monday night's 10-9 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. Instead of having him shadow the Ravens' top receiver, Anquan Boldin, Ryan confined Revis to the left side, reducing the amount of running.

The strategy backfired. Revis didn't allow any completions, but the Ravens picked on Antonio Cromartie and rookie Kyle Wilson. As a result, Boldin finished with 107 receiving yards, forcing Ryan to second-guess himself"

Revis' holdout didn't effect the game. He played like Revis.

[QUOTE=JerseyJets;3736733]Revis' holdout didn't effect the game. He played like Revis.[/QUOTE]

Great post! If you are going to waste time writing a post on a thread, why dont you read the actual thread instead of just the headline??????????????