Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defense wasn't really that great

Defense wasn't really that great

I'll give them the fact that they were on the field the majority of the game but...

11-19 on third downs. Their own fault for staying on the field that long

Boldin 7 catches for 110 yards

Team average of 12.4 yards a catch

All League
    it was more of the penalties that killed the d, and lining up wilson on boldin was stupid

[QUOTE=JerseyJet80;3732213]it was more of the penalties that killed the d, and lining up wilson on boldin was stupid[/QUOTE]

Didn't like that at all. I would have rather have him on Mason and Revis on Boldin. Boldin is the more physical WR and Revis would have shut him down.

Are u nutz?

Our D did everything we could have asked of them.

What exactly were you expecting?

[QUOTE=Hitman Harris;3732216]Are u nutz?

Our D did everything we could have asked of them.

What exactly were you expecting?[/QUOTE]

To not have the opposing offense go 11-19 on third downs. That's an incredibly high conversion rate.

[QUOTE=JerseyJet80;3732213]it was more of the penalties that killed the d, and lining up wilson on boldin was stupid[/QUOTE]
    Penalties or not, it was still the defense committing them and allowing the Ravens to convert one way or the other. On the bright side, most of these things look to be easily correctable, and not simply a lack of talent/ability.

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3732227]To not have the opposing offense go 11-19 on third downs. That's an incredibly high conversion rate.[/QUOTE]

It was ALL PI calls... Except for that one, you know, the one at the end of the half that cost us the game.

Some of these refs just need to die already.

YEAH, I said it.

[QUOTE=Hitman Harris;3732232]It was ALL PI calls... Except for that one, you know, the one at the end of the half that cost us the game.

YEAH, I said it.[/QUOTE]

Penalties do not count towards conversion rates. All of those 3rd down conversions were made by our defense.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3732237]Penalties do not count towards conversion rates. All of those 3rd down conversions were made by our defense.[/QUOTE]

The defense allowed 10 points to a team many are saying will win the AFC. How can you be upset? The TD itself was set up after a questionable running into the kicker.

It sucks to lose, but they showed a lot of promise.

The defense was as effective as you can expect (you can't expect them to be 100% when they can't get off the field).

We held them to 10 points so as far as I'm concerned they did their job.

The Offense on the other hand looked absolutely pathetic!! Time for Rex to take more control of the Offense; we are never going to win with that type of performance.

Cromartie... ahh OK
    ....but the rest of the D was great. You get a different crew officiating that game and it could have been a different story.
    They didn't throw at Revis AT ALL
    Wilson had some questionable moments, but it was his first pro game, what was our other option, Lowery?
    Leonard got lost on some bad match-ups, but that's going to happen.

I give them a pass.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3732206]I'll give them the fact that they were on the field the majority of the game but...

Team average of 12.4 yards a catch[/QUOTE]

For the most part it doesn't matter how the D does it!! 10 points!!! Offense 1/11 on 3rd down conversions, that's what would help keep them off the field. Any O has to score 11 points at home. D and ST's gave them a short field plenty of times.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3732227]To not have the opposing offense go 11-19 on third downs. That's an incredibly high conversion rate.[/QUOTE]

I think 6 of those 11 came via penalty

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3732206]I'll give them the fact that they were on the field the majority of the game but...

Team average of 12.4 yards a catch[/QUOTE]

I agree with this - two things I'll note...

1) They got a couple of big turnovers that could have been TD's for Balt (so good for the defense but very easily could have gone the other way)

2) The Balt. offense pretty much played kill the clock in the second half - run first down, run second down and complete a third and long for a first down...very low risk football knowing the Jets couldn't score. Sure the score showed 10 points but it could have been a lot worse.

The defense wasn't great.

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3732215]Didn't like that at all. I would have rather have him on Mason and Revis on Boldin. Boldin is the more physical WR and Revis would have shut him down.[/QUOTE]

i really believe that the jets didn't put revis on boldin to start the game because they wanted him to get his legs under him. this is the big issue with the hold out, he had no real game action and therefore couldnt start the game on boldin. revis did line up on boldin later in the second half though.

the other issue is that the defense was on the field forever...get off the field, 3 and out and get right back out there....not good

Jets Insider VIP

Half of those were on penalties where the Ravens didn't come close to converting

well maybe not die but they did have a hand in costing the jets this game. 2 of the pass interference penalties weren't and they ruled a sidelines catch a catch when the guys knee was clearly down out of bounds before his feet were. they also didn't call the safety (it was at least a safety if not a fumble) on the punt returner after he was tackled in the end zone.

[QUOTE=Hitman Harris;3732232]It was ALL PI calls... Except for that one, you know, the one at the end of the half that cost us the game.

YEAH, I said it.[/QUOTE]

Banned
    They completely shut down the Ravens' best weapon (Ray Rice). That stacked offense that everyone's been gushing about only mustered 10 points, with seven of them coming from gifts from the referees (The Edwards penalty was bullsh*t, and the Wilson PI call on Housh was iffy as well).

After a while when your offense is going 3 and out every possession, you're going to tire out.

It was far from perfect, but they were good enough to win that game last night.

That is on the blitz package. I don't want to charactarize the entire defense as dissapointing over one facet. (The failure to get to the QB led to most of those coverage penalties).

The Jets consistently sent the house and rarely got anyone through clean. That can't continue.

Other than that, the D was dominant on 1st and 2nd downs. That's the formula. Blitzes just didn't work. It's alarming but we need to give it another week or two.

[QUOTE=sameoldjets;3732323]well maybe not die but they did have a hand in costing the jets this game. 2 of the pass interference penalties weren't and [B]they ruled a sidelines catch a catch when the guys knee was clearly down out of bounds before his feet were.[/B] they also didn't call the safety (it was at least a safety if not a fumble) on the punt returner after he was tackled in the end zone.[/QUOTE]

If this was the mason play, this actually was a bigger play then people made it out to be. If that was not ruled a catch which it clearly wasn't, we could have declined the penalty on that play and it would have been 4th down I believe. Instead we had to accept the penalty as it was a big gain. The Ravens would probably have punted but instead they ended up with a field goal on that drive and we know how big 3 points were last night