Thread: The game is on - The boarder war continues....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

The game is on - The boarder war continues....

A couple of points on the Ravens game from an outsider.

1. For those Jet fan ready to jump in front of a bus, no one ever won or lost a superbowl in September. Fully half of the Pats 6 superbowl teams started the season 0-2 or 1-3

2. Revis is as good as ever (damned it) - Cromartie will make some big plays, but will ultimately cost the Jets more vs the good passing teams. (Like last night) He's a real feast or famine CB who kills you as much as he helps... often more. What you saw tonight was was long time SD fans have seen for the last 2 years. Wilson looked like a good prospect to me, but was left out on his own too much for a kid playing in his first NFL game. Ultimately he'll be fine

3. Your run D was truly awesome. It made absolutely no difference whether Jenkins was in or out. That was a good rushing attack that the Jets just STONED.....ouch.

4. That move Edwards made in the FG block was so cool, the NFL will probably make it illegal for next week ;)

5. For those who felt the refs were out to get you. WRONG Only one of the PI/holding calls was even questionable....but IMHO the one that was, was pretty weak. Bottom line the Jets played sloppy football at home, where its much easier to avoid penalties. Fortunately you will another chance at home this week.

6. What the Pats have to do to move the ball -

a. Back in 02-06 when it seemed like the Pats played the Steelers every year, even when they lost they seemed to move the ball well, despite the fact the steelers consistently had the best run D in the league. How did they do it? Simple, they rarely ran the ball. :D

b. BB isn't one to beat his head against the wall, and that is what running the ball against the Jets next week would be. I see them doing what they did to the Steelers, spread out the field and let Brady find the open man under pressure. Run only enough to legitimize the running game. I don't want to throw the ball 40+ times, but frankly i don't see the alternative.

c. Take advantage of your offensive match ups. The Ravens showed what a good Big athletic TE can do against a short S like Lenard. Gronk/Hernandez will be a tough match up for any of the Jet Safeties. Also if the Pats use Hernandez in the slot, he might be a tougher match up for Wilson than the much smaller Welker (who won't be 100% till December) because of his size advantage. Heap got behind Wilson a couple of time last night. Hernandez is faster.

d. Use motion for free up WRs against the tough man to man coverages

e You know that look that Flacco had throughout most of the game. You know the deer in the headlight look. The "I'm running for my life" look. Well Tom Brady had that same look in the first game last season. He didn't have it in the 2nd game.

I think having played that style of defense on a regular basis is a huge advantage for division teams. Having actually experienced the organized chaos the Jets bring helps. Brady will probably not go untouched like last week, but he will much more accurate and make much better decisions than Flacco did simply because he's an elite QB, and its his 3rd time around in juat about a year.

That first play was perfect example. The Raven OL executed perfectly and chopped the Jet DL down like timber, but that ball has to be 3 steps and thrown, because once the OL sells out like that, you have about 2 seconds before the QB is road kill. Flacco actually got about 3 and he still didn't get rid of the ball before the inevitable result. Brady in a similar situation will have either found an open man, or thrown it away.

f. On Defense I would take the blue print the Ravens created. Crowd the LOS with 8 in the box and try and control the running game. Rush at least 4-5 in passing situations to force Sanchez to make quick decisions. Play more man coverages and force Sachez to throw the ball into small windows

g. Pressure the OGs - This might be the week to play more one gap 4 man DLs Put Wilfolk on Slauson, forcing Mangold to help, thus opening the middle for blitzes and stems. Just as I was not looking forward to any match up that had Jenkins on Connolly.

h. The Jets played excellent special teams, so did the Pats. Ultimately this is where a close game can be won. Few will mention it, but it could be one of the more important match ups of the day.

BOTTOM LINE - The Jets at home have a huge advantage, and they will be the "desperate team", generally the more desperate team usually wins in the NFL. But I don't see the Jet offense turning things around in a week. It will be better (how could it be worse? ) but not enough to score 20 points, and I think the Pat offense can score 20....even on that Jets D.

OK I've got my head down- fire away

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks man but its like everyone said, as big a piece revis is, its all on sanchez and he flat out refused to throw the ball. he was so proud after the game he didn't throw an INT but didn't realize he only threw for 60 yards. it doesn't matter if you have tim brown, jerry rice, randy moss, chris carter as your starting receivers, if you don't throw the ball downfield you play directly into the ravens strength which is their front 7.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    After last nights game, I think the Jets O comes out slinging the ball. They have to get some real production from their passing game next week or they could lose their QB mentally.

We'll see if that is going to work but I don't think they have much of a choice.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets have to get Edwards involved in the passing game. The offense will look very different once Holmes comes back, unfortunately that won't help next Sunday.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would be shocked if the jets offense isn't far better this week and very productive. As pleasantly surprised as I was with the Patriots young secondary, et al, I still think the jets will do a better job. As for the D, it scares the hell out of me. Should be a toss-up, and the jets are at home and desperate.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=S.I. Patsfan;3732541]I would be shocked if the jets offense isn't far better this week and very productive. As pleasantly surprised as I was with the Patriots young secondary, et al, I still think the jets will do a better job. As for the D, it scares the hell out of me. [B]Should be a toss-up, and the jets are at home and desperate[/B].[/QUOTE]

That's about right. The Jets being 0-2 going into Miami with 2 Conference losses and facing the prospect of a 3rd, are looking at the wheels coming off their season pretty early.

The Jets need to somehow scratch and claw to 2-2 until Holmes comes back. If they can do that, they can be OK. But, calling the Jets desperate, after last night's performance, is not a strech, IMO.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets run D was amazing - but what was up with the pass D? Continually giving up plays on 3rd down... I though Cro and Wilson would be such a huge improvement - and yet we might as well have had Revis and a bunch of Colemans out there.

At least based on the 1st game, the pats look like the '07 version. If Flacco could complete passes seemingly at will to tight ends and 2nd/slot receivers, Brady is going to frustrate the hell out of us.

Obviously, I'm depressed right now, which would make me predict 24-6 Pats, but I've gotta believe / hope that the Jets offense will do better (I think taking a knee every snap would be doing better). Can the Jets win this 17-14? I dunno, I guess we'll see...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3732244]
    1. For those Jet fan ready to jump in front of a bus, no one ever won or lost a superbowl in September. Fully half of the Pats 6 superbowl teams started the season 0-2 or 1-3
    [/QUOTE]

great point

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3732424]The Jets have to get Edwards involved in the passing game. The offense will look very different once Holmes comes back, unfortunately that won't help next Sunday.[/QUOTE]

The Jets have to get [B][SIZE="7"]ALL[/SIZE][/B] the receivers involved in the passing game :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that Edelman is the key to the Pat offense in this game. Revis is probably the only CB in the league who could defend Welker (not that he has, but he probably can). If Cromartie is on Moss and Revis is on Welker then KW is matched up on Edelman. We all saw how well KW did against a crafty WR in week 1.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    A factor to keep in mind is the Patriots TE's. Both vertical threats and very big...Could be a problem for the Jets..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hamburglar;3732768]I think that Edelman is the key to the Pat offense in this game. Revis is probably the only CB in the league who could defend Welker (not that he has, but he probably can). If Cromartie is on Moss and Revis is on Welker then KW is matched up on Edelman. We all saw how well KW did against a crafty WR in week 1.[/QUOTE]

Edelman was inactive for last sunday's game against the Bengals...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Edleman is out and Tate is the #3 WR not Edleman. Tate has killer speed. Im anxious to see how the Jets safeties defend 6'7" Gronowski and Crumpler who's massive and Wilson vs. TE Hernandez who's 6'3" 245 lbs.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Wiggy;3732873]Edleman is out and Tate is the #3 WR not Edleman. Tate has killer speed. Im anxious to see how the Jets safeties defend 6'7" Gronowski and Crumpler who's massive and Wilson vs. TE Hernandez who's 6'3" 245 lbs.[/QUOTE]

That was a nice grab by Gronkowski in the end zone, but I'm not yet afraid of rookie TEs just yet. I have no doubt that they'll be solid Pros, but I don't think the Jets need to game plan around them, just yet. I'm sure the three TEs will get their share of attempts, but I don't think that will be the difference makers in the game.

Welker, OTOH, could very well be. Hopefully whatever Rex comes up with to defend Welker will be better than what he designed last year in Foxboro.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis will hold Moss intact (hopefully, because he didn't follow Boldin around the field so whose to say he'll follow Moss) but aside from that at this point you cannot feel comfortable with match-ups involving Wes Welker and their rookie Tight Ends. I don't care that they're rookies, if they're the slightest bit open, Tom Brady WILL find them.

This game, as of right now, looks bad. I do not feel confident at all and am fully expecting to be 0-2 at this time next week.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]That was a nice grab by Gronkowski in the end zone, but I'm not yet afraid of rookie TEs just yet. I have no doubt that they'll be solid Pros, but I don't think the Jets need to game plan around them, just yet. I'm sure the three TEs will get their share of attempts, but I don't think that will be the difference makers in the game. [/QUOTE]

I think that's the point. The Jet will in all likelihood game plan around Moss and Welker (and why not), but the match ups against the Ravens TEs were obvious even to the most casual observer. AND the Pats happen to have the athletic, big, fast, good pass catching TEs to to take advantage of that favorable match up ...3 of them in fact.

[QUOTE]Welker, OTOH, could very well be. Hopefully whatever Rex comes up with to defend Welker will be better than what he designed last year in Foxboro.[/QUOTE] The Jets may very well find a way to limit Welker's production, but to what cost. Opening up the field to the TEs? Leaving a very motivated Randy Moss being covered one on one all game? Find out if Cromarie can cover the very quick and elusive Brandon Tate? Or do you put Revis shut down Welker and put the bigger Cromartie on Moss?

All are possibilities, none are without great risk.