Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All you need to know about Sanchez

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3733096]If this was the last game of the year, we needed to win to make the playoffs would you say the same thing? A win at the beginning of the years is exactly equal to a win in the last game of the year.[/QUOTE]

considering that last year, not sliding ended up with him getting hurt and needed knee surgery, yes I would have said the same thing.

What's the use of getting to the playoffs or wherever if they have to play Brunnel when there?

[QUOTE=bitonti;3733108]considering that last year, not sliding ended up with him getting hurt and needed knee surgery, yes I would have said the same thing.

What's the use of getting to the playoffs or wherever if they have to play Brunnel when there?[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of franchise QB's in the this league, established guys who have already shown they are big time QB's and have proven a lot more than Sanchez. Most of them are probably told to slide when in doubt. A lot of them will make play when they have to. No one is saying you go crazy and run all game long, or never to slide.

We might not have to worry about the playoffs at all if the QB doesn't start doing something and making some plays. One thing that seems almost certain right now, if the Jets are behind later in the game they won't be winning. Has our QB had any late come from behind wins at all in his career so far.

I didn't mind that he slid, I minded that he didn't know when to slide. That was a big play not getting the first down just like Keller not getting the first down.

The difference between winning and lossing in this league is smart vs. dumb and inches on the field between 4th down and 1st down. You have to make that first down if you want to win a defensive battle.

I just mind that he's terrible despite being surrounded by pretty decent talent. That's all I mind. The throw to Keller as the game was winding down, the one that almost got Keller killed and would have kept the clock running even if caught, should tell everyone all they need to know about this guy.

agree with this. don't agree about the slide thing though. many qbs have tried going toe to toe with linebackers and didn't have such long careers. the whole thing is you listen to what rex said about the defensive penalties. he said some were okay because it's the whole risk reward thing. didn't hear word one about the offense risk reward. all we saw was no risk and no reward.

[QUOTE=IndianaJet;3732626]That's such a great point.

They have coached the football player out of Mark Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=GreenSpleen;3732611]That reasoning is why you guys are all chumps, accustomed to losing. If he does dive head first and gets the first down, then he SETS the tone for the offense in that game and tells the Ravens that he is there to win. Pussies.[/QUOTE]

It's obvious by your posts that you have done a lot of head first diving in your days....

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3733125]There are a lot of franchise QB's in the this league, established guys who have already shown they are big time QB's and have proven a lot more than Sanchez. Most of them are probably told to slide when in doubt. A lot of them will make play when they have to. No one is saying you go crazy and run all game long, or never to slide.

We might not have to worry about the playoffs at all if the QB doesn't start doing something and making some plays. One thing that seems almost certain right now, if the Jets are behind later in the game they won't be winning. Has our QB had any late come from behind wins at all in his career so far.[/QUOTE]

Come on Beer....him not sliding on that play did not lose that game. perhaps if he has not been taught to always be so conservative, and he was allowed to throw the ball.
    Also, Edwards doesn't get called on that BS running into the kicker, the game is 6-3, not 7-6, and I bet the Jets win the game.

[QUOTE=GreenSpleen;3732485]Was shown when he slid on that scramble in the 1st quarter, which led to the first FG I believe. He should have been a man and dove for the 1st down. The crowd would have lost their minds and it would have shown he was ready to be the man and win, both to the team and the fans. Please don't give me that injury bull**** either. This kid doesn't have the "it" factor to be an elite QB in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

Go back and watch it again. Lewis would have killed him. He had a 4 or 5 step run and was gunning for him. He did the smart thing. Live to play another game. No need to lose Jenks and our Qb in the same game.

IMO sliding was the correct choice. It was too early in the game to go balls out for the first down.

[QUOTE=GreenSpleen;3732485]Was shown when he slid on that scramble in the 1st quarter, which led to the first FG I believe. He should have been a man and dove for the 1st down. The crowd would have lost their minds and it would have shown he was ready to be the man and win, both to the team and the fans. Please don't give me that injury bull**** either. This kid doesn't have the "it" factor to be an elite QB in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAJv9uhz1Tc[/url]

Shut it.

edit: whoops, already posted. I'd still rather have him slide than do that every time.
    Last edited by JB1089; 09-14-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=GreenSpleen;3732611]That reasoning is why you guys are all chumps, accustomed to losing. If he does dive head first and gets the first down, then he SETS the tone for the offense in that game and tells the Ravens that he is there to win. Pussies.[/QUOTE]
    GreenSpleen, I'm not sure who you were rooting for or what you were doing this time last year, but getting Sanchez to learn how to slide was a big deal, and even the casual football fan that watched the sports news or read the paper in the NY metro area last fall was schooled ad nauseum on why your franchise QB needs to slide.

If he needs to put his head down and take on Lewis/Ngata etc. body to body to show that he's there to win, we're in trouble. If we have to have Mark Sanchez set the tone and win the game with his legs, we better get comfortable - it's going to be a long season.

Never want to see the QB going head first into anything. I was more concerend with the coaches and experienced QB calling him a fruitcake. Not excatly how you want to refer to your field general. A joke? maybe but behind every joke there is a little truth or to quote Homer Simpson "Its funny because its true"

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve;3733477]Come on Beer....him not sliding on that play did not lose that game. perhaps if he has not been taught to always be so conservative, and he was allowed to throw the ball.
    Also, Edwards doesn't get called on that BS running into the kicker, the game is 6-3, not 7-6, and I bet the Jets win the game.[/QUOTE]

I never said that one play cost is the game but in a 10-9 slug fest that is the type of play that can win or lose a game.

Also regarding the conservative bit. I would like to see all the supporters of Sanchez come right out and be clear what they want because last year when he threw alot and was getting picked off there was a ton of people complaining that the Jets were not protecting their rookie and that all we needed was to limit turnovers to win.

In any case if we open it up and accept the inevitable ints I can accept that as long as he is also putting the ball in the endzone as many times as he is getting picked.

[QUOTE=isired;3733698]GreenSpleen, I'm not sure who you were rooting for or what you were doing this time last year, but getting Sanchez to learn how to slide was a big deal, and even the casual football fan that watched the sports news or read the paper in the NY metro area last fall was schooled ad nauseum on why your franchise QB needs to slide.

If he needs to put his head down and take on Lewis/Ngata etc. body to body to show that he's there to win, we're in trouble. If we have to have Mark Sanchez set the tone and win the game with his legs, we better get comfortable - it's going to be a long season.[/QUOTE]

There is a bit of a reality gap here between putting your head down and taking on Ray Lewis and putting your head down and diving at an angle for the 1st down and avoiding Ray Lewis.

As far as sliding goes Sanchez at least did do that part properly. It does no good at all to slide when you are anywhere near getting hit, that is far more dangerous than diving head first.

[QUOTE=TKasper01;3733485]Go back and watch it again. Lewis would have killed him. He had a 4 or 5 step run and was gunning for him. He did the smart thing. Live to play another game. No need to lose Jenks and our Qb in the same game.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU. Unless you have the game on DVR and re-watched it....you cant just assume he was being soft by sliding.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;3732491]Yes, because he injured his knee when he didn't and people were screaming when he did do that...not to mention that EVERY QB in the league is taught to do just that when you have three defenders running at you.

The one bad thing about a loss is it brings out every opinion, and that is not a good thing.[/QUOTE]

You sir, are Wrong

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve;3733466]It's obvious by your posts that you have done a lot of head first diving in your days....[/QUOTE]

Stick with hockey

The first 3 games last year Sanchez played with energy and had some life to him..last nite and all preseason he seems so out of sorts..

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bman;3733814]The first 3 games last year Sanchez played with energy and had some life to him..last nite and all preseason he seems so out of sorts..[/QUOTE]

can you imagine if that was CLEMENS or Pennington playing that way last night! At least Clemens nearly beat the ravens in baltimore with a much weaker team a few years ago. PATHETIC is all I can say about Sanchez.:steamin:

[QUOTE=Kotch;3732619]I remember my first beer...[/QUOTE]

ha.