Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DT Jenkins Update: Torn ACL/OUT FOR SEASON (Merged x3)

DT Jenkins Update: Torn ACL/OUT FOR SEASON (Merged x3)

[B][U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE LATER IN THREAD: ACL TEAR CONFIRMED BY MULTIPLE MEDIA SOURCES[/COLOR][/U][/B]

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5569360"]http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5569360[/URL]

Kris Jenkins injures knee; MRI next

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Jets nose tackle Kris Jenkins, who injured his surgically repaired left knee in the first quarter of Monday night's season opener against the Baltimore Ravens, will have an MRI exam Tuesday morning to determine the extent of the damage. There's a 50-50 chance he will be lost for the season, according to a person familiar with the injury.

More from ESPNNewYork.com
    Everything you need
    to know about Monday's Ravens-Jets matchup
    can be found right here:
    Jets Center

Check out the Jets blog

Jenkins, who underwent reconstructive surgery on the same knee in October, was poised for a rebound season. He lost more than 30 pounds, reporting to camp in terrific shape. But on the Jets' sixth defensive play, he was caught in a pileup while trying to tackle Willis McGahee.

The Jets showed immediate concern, as players hovered over Jenkins as he received treatment from the Jets' doctors. He walked off the field under his own power, but he walked very slowly to the sideline. He was taken to the locker room and wasn't available after the game.

"I have no idea what the extent of the injury is, so I'm hopeful that it's not serious, but clearly it was enough for him not to return to the game," coach Rex Ryan said. "We're definitely hoping that he'll be OK."

If there's no damage to the ACL, Jenkins could miss only a few weeks. But if the ACL is torn, he'll be looking at more surgery.

Jenkins, 32, was injured last season in Week 6. His ACL surgery required a graft that involved a hamstring tendon. If this is another season-ending injury, Jenkins might consider retirement. He has admitted that he had fleeting thoughts of retirement while rehabbing his last knee injury

If Jenkins is out for an extended period, the Jets will be thin on the defensive line. Sione Pouha and Mike Devito would be the top interior linemen, with little depth. Ryan called Pouha, who had two fumble recoveries, "one of the best unknown players in the league."

The Jets overcame Jenkins' injury last season, still managing to finish with the No. 1 overall defense. But it will be a lot harder to do it without him.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.
    Last edited by Warfish; 09-14-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    great...:(

[QUOTE=BigJet85;3732165]great...:([/QUOTE]

Hey 50-50 is a lot better than I thought it would be. I'm still assuming the worst, but I hope he'll be ok. Otherwise, this was Jenkins last game playing football.

Veteran
    That looked like a career ender to me. A physician I know says probably both ACL and MCL tears. Really unfortunate.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    [QUOTE=RoadFan;3732172]That looked like a career ender to me. A physician I know says probably both ACL and MCL tears. Really unfortunate.[/QUOTE]

that's what i thought when i saw him leave the field it is such a shame he is a monster got into shape and was ready to show it off....we need to help our O more thn our D next week is a MUST WIN and i don't care what anyone says...

50/50 was better than I was expecting to hear, but I still believe he tore his ACL and/or MCL. Most likely the last play of his career unfortunately. It's a shame we lost the big dude in the preseason with the torn achilles (I can never remember his name?). We're really lacking depth.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=RoadFan;3732172]That looked like a career ender to me. A physician I know says probably both ACL and MCL tears. Really unfortunate.[/QUOTE]

He could tell that from the exam he gave him over the TV from his living room?!?!
    Give me this guy's name - I'll be sure to NEVER go to him.

Did he give you any status on Mangold's hemmeroids? I'm sure he could see them on Hi-Def. :rolleyes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Is this really a huge surprise to anyone given his history?

First game, fifth game, it was coming.

Realistically we were going to have to win without him, so we might as well start now.

:dunno:

[QUOTE=DevsJetsYanks88;3732189]50/50 was better than I was expecting to hear, but I still believe he tore his ACL and/or MCL. Most likely the last play of his career unfortunately. It's a shame we lost the big dude in the preseason with the torn achilles [B](I can never remember his name?)[/B]. We're really lacking depth.[/QUOTE]

You probably mean Ropati Pitoitua right there..
    And i agree with you.. This is a HUGE blow to our defense. And the only thing that keeps me thinking positive is the fact that we play most of the season without Jenkins last year already and did just fine.. But with Jenkins we would be even better.. I seriously hope Jenkins will come back and play for the Jets again. He's a special player!

All League
    He's been an amazing player but I think it's time he hangs the cleats up while he can still walk

Talented, personable, diligent, leader: All words we have used to describe Kris Jenkins. No doubt, a favorite of Jet fans like me for his intensity and power.

That aside, he's missed 13 (14 since he went out early last night) games since signing on in 2008. If Kris is done for the season, that would make it 28 games lost due to injury. As much as I hate to say it, he just becomes another player on the long list of Jet free agent busts.

Good luck, Kris. I wish it had turned out better for you.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=TDJETS10;3732308]He could tell that from the exam he gave him over the TV from his living room?!?!
    Give me this guy's name - I'll be sure to NEVER go to him.

Did he give you any status on Mangold's hemmeroids? I'm sure he could see them on Hi-Def. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I laughed at that too.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=32green;3732317]Is this really a huge surprise to anyone given his history?

Realistically we were going to have to win without him, so we might as well start now.

:dunno:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your wisdom.

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;3732326]Talented, personable, diligent, leader: All words we have used to describe Kris Jenkins. No doubt, a favorite of Jet fans like me for his intensity and power.

That aside, he's missed 13 (14 since he went out early last night) games since signing on in 2008. If Kris is done for the season, that would make it 28 games lost due to injury. As much as I hate to say it, he just becomes another player on the long list of Jet free agent busts.

Good luck, Kris. I wish it had turned out better for you.[/QUOTE]

Could he really be labeled a bust? As much as he hasn't played, and i thought the same thing you did, he has missed a heck of a lot of games, he brought an entirely different attitude to this defensive front. It has spread and teams just have not been able to run against us since he has been here. I would have liked to have seen him play at 100% healthy this year but time to make due.

[QUOTE=frankiepapa;3732353]Could he really be labeled a bust? As much as he hasn't played, and i thought the same thing you did, he has missed a heck of a lot of games, he brought an entirely different attitude to this defensive front. It has spread and teams just have not been able to run against us since he has been here. I would have liked to have seen him play at 100% healthy this year but time to make due.[/QUOTE]

As good as he is, Jenkins just can't stay on the field. IMO, as much as he elevated our defense when he played, he's a bust because if he truly is done for the year, Jenkins will have missed nearly two season's worth of games due to injury. That's a staggering number. Certainly not a bust talent wise, but in the context of just not being available to help us win, sadly yes. Who knows, maybe if Kris plays in last year's AFC Championship Game, we win and go to the Super Bowl.

[QUOTE=frankiepapa;3732353]Could he really be labeled a bust? As much as he hasn't played, and i thought the same thing you did, he has missed a heck of a lot of games, he brought an entirely different attitude to this defensive front. It has spread and teams just have not been able to run against us since he has been here. I would have liked to have seen him play at 100% healthy this year but time to make due.[/QUOTE]

The guy is always hurt, he needs to mix in a few more salads,

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;3732367]As good as he is, Jenkins just can't stay on the field. IMO, as much as he elevated our defense when he played, he's a bust because if he truly is done for the year, Jenkins will have missed nearly two season's worth of games due to injury. That's a staggering number. Certainly not a bust talent wise, but in the context of just not being available to help us win, sadly yes. Who knows, maybe if Kris plays in last year's AFC Championship Game, we win and go to the Super Bowl.[/QUOTE]

He was actually one of the players I was really excited about this year....cannot wait for Santonio Holmes to suit up but that's a different story!!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=32green;3732317]Is this really a huge surprise to anyone given his history?

:dunno:[/QUOTE]

Sadly no, and this is one of the reasons why we should of drafted DT this year.Pouha is serviceable but needed depth and we needed a guy who would be ready to take over for big Jenks.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=mike309;3732369]The guy is always hurt, he needs to mix in a few more salads,[/QUOTE]

You can mix all the salads you want, knees are knees.

[QUOTE=frankiepapa;3732371]He was actually one of the players I was really excited about this year....cannot wait for Santonio Holmes to suit up but that's a different story!![/QUOTE]

Me, too. I felt so bad when they showed the play where Kris got hurt. We can't imagine the ordeal he must have endured just to get back this year after his second knee surgery in two years. I really like him as a player and the type of person he appears to be. He deserved better as a Jet, but got unlucky.

Agree on Holmes. Although, like Edwards, he'll probably never see the ball in Schotty's myopic scheme.