Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ** Official '10-'11 NY Islanders Thread **

All League

** Official '10-'11 NY Islanders Thread **

What's going on with the Islanders? Camp started yet? Any preseason games? DiPietro still hurt? Where do you go for Isles info?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    DiPietro still hurt?
    No

I fully expect 70 starts from him

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    No

I fully expect 70 starts from him
    LOL. He's had 2 years off now, he should be in outstanding shape and well rested!

And don't forget the 4 years Yashin still has against the cap (which doesn't really matter since worthwhile free agents won't sign to play at the mausoleum in the shadow of the Rangers anyway). I'm going to the Columbus day extra RANGER home game the stands will be a sea of blue shirts.

the injuries to streit and okposo are not helping the positivity going into start of this year. plus i have not heard any news about d p at all (good or bad)

As most of you know from some of my previous Jets interviews, I co-host a 100% commercial-free, no one makes a dime from it, Sports Talk radio show on Long Island. Last night, Newsday's Isles beat reporter Katie Strang did an Islanders Season Preview with us.

You can find it at http://sportstalk903.libsyn.com

The interview is 14+ commercial-free minutes of nothing but Isles talk in MP3 format. (At one point or another, it's also an indictment of Sprint's mobile service, too)

Here is a chronological rundown of the topics discussed:

--The Trend of 1st Round Picks making the team
    --All things Nino Niederreiter
    --Michael Grabner
    --The injuries to Streit, Okposo and Schremp
    --The Defensive Pairings
    --The Top Offensive Lines
    --The Goaltending Situation
    --Scott Gordon’s Future
    --On being the only regular Isles beat writer
    --Katie's prediction for the season

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy.

P.S. Right before Katie's interview, we did a Rangers Season Preview with Jesse Spector. Duing the interview, he opined that Tim Kennedy (who passed through waivers) would have been a good pick-up for the Islanders.

Rick DiPietro will start in Saturday's game against the Dallas Stars.
    DiPietro missed most of the last two seasons due to a knee injury, but it looks like he might finally put that behind him. If he can stay healthy this season, he'll have some fantasy value as the Islanders' number one goaltender. However, we'd still recommend using caution when evaluating DiPietro. He has suffered setbacks in the past.

if this guy can stay healthy and play at a level that he is capable of the islanders might make the playoffs...they have talent and i feel they have a decent coach who can take them to the playoffs..

All League
    Ha, listening to todays game on the radio (Monday, 10-11-2010) and just heard "50 foot shot goes in, right over DiPietro's shoulder!"

Some things never change. DP was always weak over the shoudler.

I really think DP is Ddone. He's just an average goalie, with many, many years left saddled to the Isles.

Interview with Chris Botta

Last night, we had former Isles VP of Communications and now Isles Blogger Chris Botta on with us.

The interview is 49+ commercial-free minutes in MP3 format. You can find it at http://sportstalk903.libsyn.com

Here is a list of the topics discussed in chronological order:

--“Live is Life”
    --Evolution of the Blog
    --The interviews that Chris is doing for SNY
    --Chris’ Background
    --Beat Writers over the Years
    --Mike Milbury
    --John Spano
    --**EXCLUSIVE:** John Spano sends e-mail to Chris from Federal Prison
    --How can attendance be increased?
    --Ticket prices
    --Making the team more popular
    --Radio Coverage
    --The Lighthouse
    --The upcoming Islanders Point Blank Social
    --Origin of “Point Blank” in the name

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy.

All League
    Crickets in this forum.

So, Isles falling back to earth after their gritty start?

Will this team ever compete under Garth Snow? Or will it be yet ANOTHER 5 year rebuilding process in two more years?

All League
    What a surprise, the Isles suck again. <yawn>.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    What a surprise, the Isles suck again. <yawn>.
    Nobody puts his team down 2-0 faster than DP

And we only signed Moulson to a one year contract. That will work out well, maybe he'll resign with Isles next year.

One positive, they have played 4 at home and seven on the road and are just one game under 500. They are in the 9th game of a 15 game stretch where 12 of those 15 games are road games. If they can split the next 6 games and end up around 500 with that many road games out of the way, they could be ok.

DP is dead though. Has to be Roloson.

They've lost a lot of close ones, many of the scores include empty netters at the end.
    Last edited by Timmy®; 11-01-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    I should mention their attendance has been really bad, even after the exciting start. I wouldn't blame Wang if he just said scew it, and unloaded the team.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Nobody puts his team down 2-0 faster than DP

And we only signed Moulson to a one year contract. That will work out well, maybe he'll resign with Isles next year.

One positive, they have played 4 at home and seven on the road and are just one game under 500. They are in the 9th game of a 15 game stretch where 12 of those 15 games are road games. If they can split the next 6 games and end up around 500 with that many road games out of the way, they could be ok.

DP is dead though. Has to be Roloson.

They've lost a lot of close ones, many of the scores include empty netters at the end.
    A 6-1 loss on Saturday ain't exactly a close one!

A coworker of mine had box seats to that Philly game. He got lucky, and the director of promotions came in to their box almost at the end of the second and asked if anyone would like to sit at ice level for the 3rd. My buddy raises his hand and sits right at center ice, between the two benches (I'll ask if he'll send me his picture). Anyways, after he tells me his story (even met a lot of former and current Philly players - had a pass to just sit in that center ice section, but after the game went walkin all around, even to the dressing room. No one really bothered him with that pass on!), I asked him who was in net for the Isles. He said DiPietro. I asked him how many goals he allowed over the shoulder, glove side - he laughed and laughed, and says "ALOT!".

Hall Of Fame
    Man DP is awful. I think Roloson has had only one game I'd call bad.

I guess we can't unload DP so he really needs to sit or be bought out if possible.

All League
    Good God, 7 goals on 32 shots? That's pathetic.

I haven't seen any games, but I hear DP isn't getting any defensive help, either.

That's typical of this team for years now. They can just never put it together. Maybe they just don't have the talent. Probably should have drafted a defensemen recently....

Looks like yet ANOTHER year of loserville.

haha DP 4.21 GA with a .850 save % in 7 starts

Rolo 2.4 GA with a .920 save % in 5 starts

DP is terrible, send him to the AHL... Wang making Gordon play this guy, what a joke....maybe DP will retire when he realizes he cant play in this league anymore....

And to think that the Isles had Roberto Luongo and the idiot Millbury traded him and drafted DiPietro... Basically, killed the franchise...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeJetson80 View Post
    haha DP 4.21 GA with a .850 save % in 7 starts

Rolo 2.4 GA with a .920 save % in 5 starts

DP is terrible, send him to the AHL... Wang making Gordon play this guy, what a joke....maybe DP will retire when he realizes he cant play in this league anymore....
    I remember, probably about 4 years ago, DP carried the Islanders on his back.He was amazing and named the starting goalie in the all star game. The All Star game started and DP was being interviewed while in the net. He actually let a goal in while he was being interviewed. That seemed to be the beginning of the end. He got injured right around that game and he hasn't been the same since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHlHOBZLN5E

around the 50 second mark you will hear him, I also remember during the actual game that interview and during that interview is when he really finished his hip off, you heard him groan in pain i cant find that video though.