Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Head of NJ Teachers' Union Makes $550,000 A Year ~ ~ ~

[QUOTE=Buster;3750091]How is healthcare paid for in Denmark?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=wikipedia]The Danish welfare model is accompanied by a taxation system that is both broad based (25% VAT, not including excise, duty and tax) and with a progressive income tax model, meaning the more money that is earned, the higher income tax percentage that gets paid (minimum tax rate for adults is 42% scaling to over 60%, except for the residents of Ertholmene that escape the [B][U]otherwise ubiquitous 8% healthcare tax[/U][/B] fraction of the income taxes[89][90]). [/QUOTE]

Wiki isn't specific, but I'd guess a Canada-like National all-covered system of some sort.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3739333]bad??

well considering they whine like *****es about all those evil "rich" people and/or married couples who make over $250K/annually, its' liberal hypocrisy at its' finest...:yes:[/QUOTE]

Who whines about that?

Why can't a Union pay their leader what they want? from their own money? (Raised through Union dues.) :confused:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2;3750442]Who whines about that?

Why can't a Union pay their leader what they want? from their own money? (Raised through Union dues.) :confused:[/QUOTE]

Because. It's a union and therefore automatically evil. Every person who belongs to a union should kill their family while they sleep and then turn their own brain into a slushie with the business end of a .44.

It's only right. America is slowly being destroyed by average people making between 35k and 65k a year. Why do you think the 1950's were the ungodly holy hell they were? Because that's when union membership was at its highest.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=FF2;3750442]Who whines about that?

Why can't a Union pay their leader what they want? from their own money? (Raised through Union dues.) :confused:[/QUOTE]

Because teachers are "fatcat bullies" according to Governor Christie

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3750530]Because. It's a union and therefore automatically evil. Every person who belongs to a union should kill their family while they sleep and then turn their own brain into a slushie with the business end of a .44.

It's only right. America is slowly being destroyed by average people making between 35k and 65k a year. Why do you think the 1950's were the ungodly holy hell they were? Because that's when union membership was at its highest.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3750549]:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

What can I say? :P

I suppose all I can do is apologize profusely to everyone here for my part in destroying America by belonging to a Pipefitters union several years ago. Every time someone flushes a toilet I installed, an angel gets sodomized by the ghost of Pol Pot. It's quite terrible...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=FF2;3750442]Who whines about that?[/QUOTE]

is this some sort of a joke??? unions, most of whom are on the left, are not whining about those evil rich people who make more than $250K/annually???

[QUOTE]Why can't a Union pay their leader what they want? from their own money? (Raised through Union dues.) :confused:[/QUOTE]

they can- just like they can pay a CEO what the board wants from a corporations revenue...oh, wait- but they are in the private sector hence evil, big businessmen....:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Buster;3750539]Because teachers are "fatcat bullies" according to Governor Christie[/QUOTE]

meanwhile to ayatollah obama, union leaders and democrats, in general- business people and wall street are evil, corrupt and out to screw every/anyone...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 09-24-2010 at 06:14 PM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Buster;3750539]Because teachers are "fatcat bullies" according to Governor Christie[/QUOTE]

No. They're just cry babies who work 180 days a year and demand the government pay 100% of their benefits while people like me, who make less than the average teacher, works a full year and pays his own health and retirement bills.

It's time the educators woke up and realized that.

There's a district in suburban Philadelphia that is the highest paid district in the state, ranks in the high 90s in test scores, and is still *****ing about salary and benefits.

Oh... and the superintendent in Philadelphia makes $360,000 a year, but the dropout rate is about 50% and hasn't budged in years. She's clearly earning every penny.

I'm so sick and tired of these teachers crying poor when administrators are grossly overpaid. It's the same dynamic here as in the private sector that everyone despises so much. Those damn millionaire CEOs! Nobody likes to mention the school officials who have habitually under-performing districts but keep the $200,000+ a year salaries and summers at the shore.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 09-25-2010 at 05:50 PM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3750584]What can I say? :P

I suppose all I can do is apologize profusely to everyone here for my part in destroying America by belonging to a Pipefitters union several years ago. Every time someone flushes a toilet I installed, an angel gets sodomized by the ghost of Pol Pot. It's quite terrible...[/QUOTE]

Not entirely true....the angels don't quite get shafted, they only take tips thanks to (D) flush volume limit legislation.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;3751254]...they only take tips thanks to (D) flush volume limit legislation.[/QUOTE]

Are front load washing machines and high efficiency Lennox furnaces part of the left wing conspiracy too? :P

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3751215]No. They're just cry babies who work 180 days a year and demand the government pay 100% of their benefits while people like me, who make less than the average teacher, works a full year and pays his own health and retirement bills.

It's time the educators woke up and realized that.

There's a district in suburban Philadelphia that is the highest paid district in the state, ranks in the high 90s in test scores, and is still *****ing about salary and benefits.

Oh... and the superintendent in Philadelphia makes $360,000 a year, but the dropout rate is about 50% and hasn't budged in years. She's clearly earning every penny.

I'm so sick and tired of these teachers crying poor when administrators are grossly overpaid. It's the same dynamic here as in the private sector that everyone despises so much. Those damn millionaire CEOs! Nobody likes to mention the school officials who have habitually under-performing districts but keep the $200,000+ a year salaries and summers at the shore.[/QUOTE]

Then they throw in your face the " We have masters degrees bull$hit....".

School teachers and their unions are part of the largest screwing ever given to taxpayers. If you went to college , what's funny is that majoring in education is the easiest major and attracts the dumbest of students.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3751470]Then they throw in your face the " We have masters degrees bull$hit....".

School teachers and their unions are part of the largest screwing ever given to taxpayers. If you went to college , what's funny is that majoring in education is the easiest major and attracts the dumbest of students.[/QUOTE]

My daughter is doing a double major of elementary education and sociology. (A double major is a requirement for education students in Mass.) She is in the honors sociology program and was chosen to present a paper at a prestigious national conference. With her record she could have majored in anything she wanted but she absolutely LOVES teaching. She has no idea what the salary and benefits are believe me. After graduating she will still need to get her masters. I can assure you she is far from the dumbest of students.

My wife has been teaching for 23 years and makes about $65,000 with great benefits. Certainly not bad but certainly not excessive. She still loves her job believe it or not. The myth of teachers leaving school at 2:00 is just that, a myth. She is there most days from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00. She also buys supplies with her own money at time as do ALOT of teachers. There is a real satisfaction in hearing from former students about how she helped them. How she "screws" taxpayers I don't understand. And yes she loves her summers off believe me

And about her pension. When she started I was always a little miffed that she had NO control over how her retirement contributions were invested. (Yes, teachers contribute to their retirement, and money is taken out each month for healthcare....neither are "free"). When she retires she will have about 38 years in. Given what she has "invested" for 38 years, her 80% of salary retirement benefit doesn't seem outlandish to me.

Nobody complained about teachers pensions when their own 401ks were rolling along. Now there seems to be a sort of jealousy going on. Whenever the economy slows teachers make easy targets. I don't blame them at all for making sure they have a strong union. They need it.

Like all careers there are plusses and minuses. I wouldn't last an hour in a classroom. But yeah there are some poor teachers as well. Just like any other business.

Sqwawk all you want about administration but the teachers in the trenches don't deserve the constant bashing. IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2;3751544]My wife has been teaching for 23 years and makes about $65,000...[/QUOTE]

Does it bother her that she is solely responsible for the nation's deficit? Or does she still sleep like a baby at night (when Mr. FF2 leaves her alone)?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2;3751544]My daughter is doing a double major of elementary education and sociology. (A double major is a requirement for education students in Mass.) She is in the honors sociology program and was chosen to present a paper at a prestigious national conference. With her record she could have majored in anything she wanted but she absolutely LOVES teaching. She has no idea what the salary and benefits are believe me. After graduating she will still need to get her masters. I can assure you she is far from the dumbest of students.

My wife has been teaching for 23 years and makes about $65,000 with great benefits. Certainly not bad but certainly not excessive. She still loves her job believe it or not. The myth of teachers leaving school at 2:00 is just that, a myth. She is there most days from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00. She also buys supplies with her own money at time as do ALOT of teachers. There is a real satisfaction in hearing from former students about how she helped them. How she "screws" taxpayers I don't understand. And yes she loves her summers off believe me

And about her pension. When she started I was always a little miffed that she had NO control over how her retirement contributions were invested. (Yes, teachers contribute to their retirement, and money is taken out each month for healthcare....neither are "free"). When she retires she will have about 38 years in. Given what she has "invested" for 38 years, her 80% of salary retirement benefit doesn't seem outlandish to me.

Nobody complained about teachers pensions when their own 401ks were rolling along. Now there seems to be a sort of jealousy going on. Whenever the economy slows teachers make easy targets. I don't blame them at all for making sure they have a strong union. They need it.

Like all careers there are plusses and minuses. I wouldn't last an hour in a classroom. But yeah there are some poor teachers as well. Just like any other business.

Sqwawk all you want about administration but the teachers in the trenches don't deserve the constant bashing. IMO.[/QUOTE]

Understood...but the facts on LI don't support your theory. I have done many tax returns for retired school teachers in the early 50's with pensions in excess of $60,000. Google the average for LI and the pay is in the 80's on average. My buddy is a gym teacher on LI, earned 120K last year. summers off etc....

Massachussets may be different....but on LI, there is quite a bit of "difference of opinion" over this area. Just google it. The reverse is true here in NC. Teachers are not treated well here and that is wrong.

I moved off LI for several reasons but I personally got tired of crossing picket lines on parent teacher night and trying to explain to my child why her teacher wore black on Fridays and called in sick the 1st Monday of each month.

My children each went to a modest school here in Charlotte and I would put their SAT scores up against anyone's. Also, at UNC where my youger child went, the average SAT score is about 1310. These kids mainly went to "country schools" in the south and I would put them against any kid from LI or Mass. The urban legend of great LI schools is way over done.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 09-26-2010 at 11:59 AM.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3751590]Understood...but the facts on LI don't support your theory. I have done many tax returns for retired school teachers in the early 50's with pensions in excess of $60,000. Google the average for LI and the pay is in the 80's on average. My buddy is a gym teacher on LI, earned 120K last year. summers off etc....

[B]Massachussets may be different[/B]....but on LI, there is quite a bit of "difference of opinion" over this area. Just google it. The reverse is true here in NC. Teachers are not treated well here and that is wrong.

I moved off LI for several reasons but I personally got tired of crossing picket lines on parent teacher night and trying to explain to my child why her teacher wore black on Fridays and called in sick the 1st Monday of each month.

My children each went to a modest school here in Charlotte and I would put their SAT scores up against anyone's. Also, at UNC where my youger child went, the average SAT score is about 1310. These kids mainly went to "country schools" in the south and I would put them against any kid from LI or Mass. The urban legend of great LI schools is way over done.[/QUOTE]

Long Island is not the center of the country and did you kids go to Catholic school?

Generalizing is soo much easier to do, especially when you completely ignore FF2's actual personal experience.

Get over it.

I guess you picketed UNC and NC State's tenure policies too? :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;3751644]Long Island is not the center of the country and did you kids go to Catholic school?

Generalizing is soo much easier to do, especially when you completely ignore FF2's actual personal experience.

Get over it.

I guess you picketed UNC and NC State's tenure policies too? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yes, my kids went to catholic school (less than 1/2 the cost of public school cost per pupil) but you miss my point. My point is that when they went to college, almost all of the other kids were from public schools in the south that the North "turns their head at".

I respect his experience and he knows it.

It's not a matter of getting over it.... we as a people are entitled to voice when we feel something is wrong. Put me on ignore if you like or don't like.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3751691]Yes, my kids went to catholic school (less than 1/2 the cost of public school cost per pupil) but you miss my point. My point is that when they went to college, almost all of the other kids were from public schools in the south that the North "turns their head at".

I respect his experience and he knows it.

It's not a matter of getting over it.... we as a people are entitled to voice when we feel something is wrong. Put me on ignore if you like or don't like.[/QUOTE]

You do not live in LI and yet still complain. I missed the point? You didn't trust the public schools but brag about them anyway?

Did you voice your outrage about UNC/NC State professors having tenure?

Not even close.

[QUOTE=FF2;3751544]My daughter is doing a double major of elementary education and sociology. (A double major is a requirement for education students in Mass.) She is in the honors sociology program and was chosen to present a paper at a prestigious national conference. With her record she could have majored in anything she wanted but she absolutely LOVES teaching. She has no idea what the salary and benefits are believe me. After graduating she will still need to get her masters. I can assure you she is far from the dumbest of students.

Sqwawk all you want about administration but the teachers in the trenches don't deserve the constant bashing. IMO.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. Administrators and union reps deserve 100% of the blame. My gf is an untenured teacher and is forced to pay $1000 in union dues every year. She lost her job last year, was not protected by the vaunted union at all, and still had to fork over $1000. They are not concerned with the interests of teachers or quality education at all. They are obsessed with amassing and keeping power.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;3751693]You do not live in LI and yet still complain. I missed the point? You didn't trust the public schools but brag about them anyway?

Did you voice your outrage about UNC/NC State professors having tenure?[/QUOTE]

I have not quite met anyone as "intellectually close minded as you" ...I'll give you that.