Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Head of NJ Teachers' Union Makes $550,000 A Year ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    kinda along these lines :

Public schools : waiting for us to 'get it'

The education documentary "Waiting for Superman" should not only rattle our smug complacency about public schools,
    but also fuel the reform movement.
    By Lynne K. Varner

> [url]http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2012980784_lynne24.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    one more :

Is Our Education System Really That Bad ?

> [url]http://www.good.is/post/is-our-education-system-really-that-bad/?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=outbrain[/url]

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3751730]I have not quite met anyone as "intellectually close minded as you" ...I'll give you that.[/QUOTE]

Met? We have never met.

Hall Of Fame
    fyi :

UFT charter fools
    Union drags down schools' grades

> [url]http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/uft_charter_fools_cAxPCQ8XNrklVMSdAekQvL#ixzz1235sHv9v[/url]

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3744738]Sarcasm I assure you..it is all for the teachers...pay,pension benny's. Education costs have doubled in 12 years per pupil. For what?????[/QUOTE]

and thats not the worst of it. go see "waiting for superman"

excellent movie

[QUOTE=nycuse;3774286]and thats not the worst of it. go see "waiting for superman"

excellent movie[/QUOTE]

The backers of the current education system will find a way to deflect why our education system falls so short of others spending 1/3 as much.

Hall Of Fame
    fyi :

> [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdqQTIQhn5A&feature=player_embedded[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    re unions ;) :

Public employee unions funnel public money to Dems

> [url]http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/Public-employee-unions-funnel-public-money-to-Dems-1342297-105812358.html[/url]

[QUOTE=FF2;3751544] her 80% of salary retirement benefit doesn't seem outlandish to me.[/QUOTE]
    Let me help you out: outlandish only begins to describe.

[QUOTE=sackdance;3796536]Let me help you out: outlandish only begins to describe.[/QUOTE]

explain please

Banned
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3751470]Then they throw in your face the " We have masters degrees bull$hit....".

School teachers and their unions are part of the largest screwing ever given to taxpayers. If you went to college , what's funny is that majoring in education is the easiest major and attracts the dumbest of students.[/QUOTE]

This post is incredibly ignorant.

Banned
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3751716]I agree completely. Administrators and union reps deserve 100% of the blame. My gf is an untenured teacher and is forced to pay $1000 in union dues every year. She lost her job last year, was not protected by the vaunted union at all, and still had to fork over $1000. They are not concerned with the interests of teachers or quality education at all. They are obsessed with amassing and keeping power.[/QUOTE]

100% Correct.

My wife is a teacher. She'll be the first to tell you the problem is the administrators. Corrupt as hell.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;3796638]This post is incredibly ignorant.[/QUOTE]

The "teachers are f*cking America" part or the "teachers were all dumb college students...that's why they became teachers" part?

[QUOTE=sourceworx;3796638]This post is incredibly ignorant.[/QUOTE]

Source, Love ya but ...I went to a teachers college in another life. Of course there are OVERWHELINGLY great teachers out there, everywhere for that matter. I went to Brentwood and had MANY GREAT teachers.

The union gets involved and when I lived on LI, I had to cross picket lines to go to parent teacher night, the teachers wore BLACK every Friday and other "events" like they ALL called in sick one day

This was West Islip NY....
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 10-29-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3796660]The "teachers are f*cking America" part or the "teachers were all dumb college students...that's why they became teachers" part?[/QUOTE]

Both.

The biggest problem isn't that teachers get paid well on LI. The biggest problem is that they get [I]tenure[/I]. Even many teachers (the good ones, anyway) will admit to that. A tenured teacher is almost impossible to terminate. Their students can underacheive to the fullest, and the teacher will be virtually untouchable. Pretty much the only way a tenured teacher loses their job is if they do something horrendous like molest a child or murder someone.

It's a license to be complacent. Most have integrity, and would never end up that way. But tenure is the reason why you hear about teachers who tell the kids to read their textbook in class while they put their feet up on the desk and read the newspaper.

I have no problem with paying teachers well if it's merit-based. A quality education is worth that price.

Banned
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3796681]Source, Love ya but ...I went to a teachers college in another life.[/QUOTE]

My wife graduated with her Masters summa cum laude for her entire university last year. She's far from being a moron. Trust me.

[QUOTE=sourceworx;3796688]My wife graduated with her Masters summa cum laude for her entire university last year. She's far from being a moron. Trust me.[/QUOTE]

I do......

under current rules...Bill Clinton is NOT qualified to teach high school political science.

THAT is the system I say is nonsense and someone like your wife gets used like a pawn.

Mind Boggling.

Banned
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3796696]I do......

under current rules...Bill Clinton is NOT qualified to teach high school political science.

THAT is the system I say is nonsense and someone like your wife gets used like a pawn.

Mind Boggling.[/QUOTE]

Oh I agree with you on that.

My father has worked as an electronics engineer for over 30 years. A few years back he got a Masters in Finance just for the heck of it (He always wanted to go back to school and get a Masters Degree).

He spoke to one of the deans at Suffolk Community College out here (it turns out he used to work with him). He was interested in teaching a class on engineering. The guy told him he wasn't qualified to teach it. 30+ years of real-world experience, along with his name on multiple patents for products he played a key role in developing, and he isn't qualified to teach a bullsh!t engineering class at rinky-dink Suffolk Community College.

The subject he was qualified to teach? [B]FINANCE[/B]. The subject he had ZERO experience in.....but he had his Masters degree.

That is ridiculous.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3796696]I do......

Mind Boggling.[/QUOTE]

Any parent who sends their kid to college is begging to have a drooling idiot as offspring. College is for people to lazy to just go out and get a f*cking job....and instead, decide to suck on Mommies teat until they're into their 20's. You know, because they're dumb and all...

;):D

Hall Of Fame
    fyi :

Partisan Teachers May Violate Federal Law, Ex-Election Board Member Says

> [url]http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/01/partisan-teachers-violate-federal-law/[/url]