Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety's- get the conversation started...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Safety's- get the conversation started...

Jets safety can't cover- plain and simple...can't rely on brody either...the were exploited by Flacco and i sadly expect much the same today against the Pats- hope i'm wrong....

don't like drafting a safety in round one and could care less about the olympic athletes like taylor mays who can't play outside the numbers...the safety class pretty much sucks this year in the sense there is no first round talent- fine by me,...that said i'm looking at guys from the mid second on...

three guys to key on..

1) mark barron/ala- underclassmen with nice size, great against the run, better than average against the pass...mid second but could rise...

2) marcus gilchrist/clemson- much, much better cover skills compared to his more heralded teammate de'andre mcdaniel...makes plays sideline to sideline and easily gets to the flanks to help his corner or handles coverage assignments over the slot reciever...his ball skills were so good clemson moved him to corner this season- was a bit inconsitent last night against auburn...late second...

3) jerrod johnson/boise- really a fire plug in centerfield....cover skills are not as polished compared to gilchrist but easily gets outside the numbers in centerfield and does a great job w/assignments...third round....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please calm down

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do like Jerrod Johnson.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Chrebet View Post
    Please calm down
    oh, i'm calm- but the middle of the field is so wide open i'm not going to dellude myself that leohnard or smith are legitimate pass cover saftey's, as once again witnessed today....Poole's good when healthy but you can't rely on him being on the field a full season....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How is Chris Culliver looked at by scouts so far? I think he's been a pretty good player for us and he also moved to corner this year for his senior season.....He was a 5 star recruit and should/will light up the combine...Sometimes his measurables don't always add up with how he actually plays, but he's got all the tools and makes a lot of plays for a good SEC defense

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    How is Chris Culliver looked at by scouts so far? I think he's been a pretty good player for us and he also moved to corner this year for his senior season.....He was a 5 star recruit and should/will light up the combine...Sometimes his measurables don't always add up with how he actually plays, but he's got all the tools and makes a lot of plays for a good SEC defense
    liked him coming into the season but have not watched him enough this year to form an opinion....

the other kid i love- and this year's version of kurt coleman, an underrated playmaker, is eric hagg of NU...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love McDaniel, but Barron is up there for me too.

Free Safety might be our biggest need IMO. I badly wanted Nate Allen (2 INT's already) or Morgan Burnett (INT yesterday) because Pool can't stay on the field.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love Robert Sands, Hate Will Hill.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets seemingly have decided that safety is always going to be a position that they try to save money at.

I'd be shocked if the Jets ever take a safety in the first two rounds of the draft with the way Rex and Mr T have the team set up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the last missing piece of this defense is a true Cover-1 safety...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Well, the last missing piece of this defense is a true Cover-1 safety...
    I disagree.

I'd take a stud passrushing OLB or dominant DL over a star safety in this defense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know I always bring up UB players (habit), but has anyone heard of davonte Shannon? I think he's predicted as a late round guy. Idk about his covering ability, but he's always around the ball and is a great tackler....UB is starting to turn out players a la Richard and Scott.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    the jets safety's suck....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    I know I always bring up UB players (habit), but has anyone heard of davonte Shannon? I think he's predicted as a late round guy. Idk about his covering ability, but he's always around the ball and is a great tackler....UB is starting to turn out players a la Richard and Scott.
    solid but a better run defender versus the pass and not what the Jets need...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I disagree.

I'd take a stud passrushing OLB or dominant DL over a star safety in this defense.
    It's debatable for sure. But Rex can always scheme pressure.

Having a Cover 1 guy that can erase mistakes made by Cromartie and Wilson would being everything together a little bit more, IMO.

P.S. I was really disappointed with Mark Baroon in the Bama-Ark game...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    i have to put it out there... cromartie is terrible. Safety's are solid thus far.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    the jets safety's suck....
    I agree. However, Pool may be the answer to the question he just isn't getting the playing time given his injury hopefully he'll play more once he's fully healthy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Safety is certainly in the need conversation for next year. In my mind we take the best player out there that is a safety, OLB or NT. I'm not so worried about DE's as I think it is easier to groom a lower pick or even a FA into a serviceable DE in this system than the others.

NT is a risky position because often you are talking about boom bust kind of guys who have a lot of weight.

My greatest desire for this team bar none is a pass rushing OLB. Essentially what Gholston was supposed to be. If the Jets had a guy that can rush the passer on his own to go along with their schemes they'd be just killer. They get into trouble when they have to bring the house all the time to get any pressure thus leaving the Db's exposed a bit too much.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    there's a safety on idaho Shiloh Keo who is getting some buzz...