Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Safety's- get the conversation started...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    bumping up the safety thread for 2 reasons

1) kenny tate maryland could declare and be a very good (round 2) prospect

2) considering the need a coverage guy, why not take a corner and convert him? like Chris Culliver South Carolina

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    another name for the safety thread

Senior safety Joe Lefeged anchors a Rutgers defense that has been giving up nearly 26 points per game. Lefeged has been talked about as highly as being an upper echelon NFL draft pick come April.

http://www.wvillustrated.com/wvufootball/story/id/556

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

2) considering the need a coverage guy, why not take a corner and convert him? like Chris Culliver South Carolina
    Tate was a beast against Florida St. a few weeks ago. Last I heard it seems like he will be returning to school.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

Great point about moving a CB to safety. I was thinking the same thing myself. With the way the NFL is changing the game you won't be able to have a big hitter at safety much longer so why not.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How bout Quinton Carter from Oklahoma?! Vicious hitter with some ball skills...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I was looking at some safeties, guys that I think sorta fit the bill for the kind of FS we need, who do you guys think of Carter from OKL? I saw some of him this year, thinking maybe a 3rd round guy we can pick up? I don't see us spending 1-2nd on S with the way the Pass Rush has been exposed.

Also, Lainhart from Kent State. Haven't had a chance to see him play, but heard his name thrown around and read up on him. Could be a nice sleeper that doesn't cost us an early pick. Anyone watch him play?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    So I was looking at some safeties, guys that I think sorta fit the bill for the kind of FS we need, who do you guys think of Carter from OKL? I saw some of him this year, thinking maybe a 3rd round guy we can pick up? I don't see us spending 1-2nd on S with the way the Pass Rush has been exposed.

Also, Lainhart from Kent State. Haven't had a chance to see him play, but heard his name thrown around and read up on him. Could be a nice sleeper that doesn't cost us an early pick. Anyone watch him play?
    Haha, great minds think alike... Carter looks good in my book...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    whoops, hah. there you were above me.

More on Lainhart.

Position: FS
    School & Year/Status: Kent St. - Senior
    Jersey Number: #31
    Height & Weight: 6'1 - 207 lbs.

2011 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person
    Brian Lainhart, FS, Kent St.
    Brian Lainhart has made a career out of forcing turnovers. With one game left in his collegiate career at Kent State, Lainhart has picked off an amazing 17 passes and forced eight fumbles. For the last four years when the Golden Flashes needed a big play, it was Lainhart who was there to make it. The 6-1 free safety does more than just make big plays though. As a freshman he tallied 63 tackles despite missing some time with neck and shoulder injuries. In 2008 he totaled 106 tackles and picked off six passes.
    By 2009 the Mid-American Conference should have known better than to throw in his direction, but Lainhart kept picking off passes, forcing fumbles and making tackles. Lainhart's numbers have dipped a little bit in 2010. Through 11 games he is second on the team with 82 tackles, but he only has two interceptions and has forced just one fumble. That would be a good season for most other players, but Lainhart has set the bar pretty high for himself.

Kent State's bowl hopes were dashed after a loss to Western Michigan, but Lainhart's career could continue at the next level. He is an interesting prospect at the next level. He could be a fine free safety because of his superb instincts and big play ability. However, his lack of strength should keep him waiting to hear his name called well into the late rounds.
    Consider me sold.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Lainhart is nothing different from what the Jets presently have on their roster- a straight line, downhill safety who cannot play outside the numbers...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Lainhart is nothing different from what the Jets presently have on their roster- a straight line, downhill safety who cannot play outside the numbers...
    can you elaborate please. explain exactly what you've seen (you've) to suggest that. Cause nothing I've read indicates what you're saying. Exact opposite in some cases.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do you think about Carter?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you think about Carter?
    not a big fan...193lbs safety with average ball skills...i'd much rather have a guy like Eric Hagg/Nebraska in the late rounds....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    what, does he have me on blocked or something... for real Come back?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    again- the Jets better come out of this draft with a good free safety prospect...still going with Ghilchrist in the middle rounds (3rd)...would also consider jeron johnson of Boise in the 4th area...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    At this point from what I've watched, Moore is the best of the bunch. Elite level hips and is more than willing to get his nose dirty against the run. New age safety where he's not going to knock players out, but he's a good form tackler and that is all you can have on hte football field with the way refs call the game.

Excellent mobility and range though.

I've watched McDaniel pretty closely, and although he's pretty good, and certainly willing to play the run, I don't trust the pure athleticism and ability against the pass.

Moore has that, and it's the most important thing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I know Ahmad Black is too short and too slow but I also know he's going to make a name for himself in the league.

I'll scoop him up in the 4th-5th round and go to war with him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Yeah, I know Ahmad Black is too short and too slow but I also know he's going to make a name for himself in the league.

I'll scoop him up in the 4th-5th round and go to war with him.
    Westhoff would love him too...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rahim Moore is about the weakest run defender you will find. Can't wrap up and most of his tackle attempts are him diving at the runners legs and whiffing. He makes Kerry Rhodes look like Jack Tatum.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    again- the Jets better come out of this draft with a good free safety prospect...still going with Ghilchrist in the middle rounds (3rd)...would also consider jeron johnson of Boise in the 4th area...
    This

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Jets seemingly have decided that safety is always going to be a position that they try to save money at.

I'd be shocked if the Jets ever take a safety in the first two rounds of the draft with the way Rex and Mr T have the team set up.
    What are you basing this on? I think Rex would LOVE a playmaking Safety like he envisioned Rhodes being for this defense.