Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NT Prospects - Let's start looking

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

NT Prospects - Let's start looking

Saw this kid play vs. USC yesterday. Only a junior, but let's see how he does the rest of the season:

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...&Q_SEASON=2010

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...rick-Ellis.php

From their 9/12 game:
    Ellis led the defense with a career-high 16 tackles and two sacks.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that we should get a d-lineman, but I think we need to go for a DE early and NT can wait until the 3rd or 4th round.

I'd love for Marcell Dareus to fall to us (assuming we have a late pick).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-99CuEwY2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7vfytToOts

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jerrell Powe from Ole Miss, plain and simple...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jerrell Powe, Ole Miss.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesQB718 View Post
    I agree that we should get a d-lineman, but I think we need to go for a DE early and NT can wait until the 3rd or 4th round.

I'd love for Marcell Dareus to fall to us (assuming we have a late pick).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-99CuEwY2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7vfytToOts
    Looks like a good 3-4 DE prospect, but his stat lin shows nothing much for this year. Is he hurt?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Jerrell Powe from Ole Miss, plain and simple...
    Yeah, you guys are right. Not great stats so far, but that could mean he is commanding a double team a lot.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTJetsFanII View Post
    Looks like a good 3-4 DE prospect, but his stat lin shows nothing much for this year. Is he hurt?
    He just came back from a 2 game suspension.

The NT that I have been impress with so far is Nick Fairley from Auburn. He is listed at 6-5 314 and has has been a "BEAST" in all of Auburn's wins so far. He can play the run and rush the passer, in which I believe he has had a sack in every game so far. He is only a JR, so I'm not sure if he will come out but he is definitely somebody to look out for.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Play Like A Jet View Post
    He just came back from a 2 game suspension.

The NT that I have been impress with so far is Nick Fairley from Auburn. He is listed at 6-5 314 and has has been a "BEAST" in all of Auburn's wins so far. He can play the run and rush the passer, in which I believe he has had a sack in every game so far. He is only a JR, so I'm not sure if he will come out but he is definitely somebody to look out for.
    Fairley's not a NT prospect- 4-3 three technique tackle or two gap end...ditto for dareus...

after Powe. who's been dissapointing thus far in '10, the top NT guy would be Washington junior Alameda Ta'amu....

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Fairley's not a NT prospect- 4-3 three technique tackle or two gap end...ditto for dareus...

after Powe. who's been dissapointing thus far in '10, the top NT guy would be Washington junior Alameda Ta'amu....
    CBNY, what's your thoughts on the big kid from Hampton? I hear his background is very shaky but he might be worth a gamble for somebody in the 3rd or 4th round.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    CBNY, what's your thoughts on the big kid from Hampton? I hear his background is very shaky but he might be worth a gamble for somebody in the 3rd or 4th round.
    he was good at south carolina and has done a solid job at hampton...needs a big January and February...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Lolomana Mikaele

I like this player. I dont know what he's worth (in terms of round) or if he's really big enough but he plays tough as hell

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/sport...olomana00.html

one thing we know for certain this front office doesn't have a high priority on 1st or 2nd round NT. they develop guys like Pouha, Devito and maybe Martin MTV as well.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just what we need,another guy with a shaky past.He'll fit right into Phi Sigma Idiot.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Just what we need,another guy with a shaky past.He'll fit right into Phi Sigma Idiot.
    He sure will Find me a team that is filled with 100% boy scouts. I love how the Jets have become Duke lacrosse to some people all of a sudden lol

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some good DL off the top of my head:

DL Marcell Dareus
    DL Allen Bailey
    DL Adrian Clayborn
    NT Jerrell Powe
    NT Phil Taylor

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Considering that NT is the key to our defense, I don't think that we cat get away with 4th round talent. We have to go for the best NT in the entire draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Fanatic View Post
    Considering that NT is the key to our defense, I don't think that we cat get away with 4th round talent. We have to go for the best NT in the entire draft.
    Agreed. I understand that Rex CAN make a DL look better, but having a quality line would help us get consistent pressure unlike our current situation which relies on tons of blitzing just to get pretty good pressure. With the way Rex blitzes we should be getting insane "OMG WHERE DO I THROW TO" pressure.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Fanatic View Post
    why???

what kind of NT did he win with in Baltimore??? a free agent from the days of the 12 round draft (Siragusa) and a 6th round pick (Kelly Gregg)....there are plenty of good NT's to be had later in the draft- maybe Cam Thomas from this year, definitely ahtyba rubin from three years ago...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    why???

what kind of NT did he win with in Baltimore??? a free agent from the days of the 12 round draft (Siragusa) and a 6th round pick (Kelly Gregg)....there are plenty of good NT's to be had later in the draft- maybe Cam Thomas from this year, definitely ahtyba rubin from three years ago...
    Agreed...

NT is the key to a 3-4 defense like the Pats/Browns. It's not as important in Rex's scheme. Rex's scheme asks that you go higher end with the coverage compared to anything else.

Jerrell Powe is the best NT prospect right now. Wanted him to come out badly last year. Also wanted us to take Dan Williams badly last year although he obviously didn't fall quite far enough.

That kid on Michigan, albeit a junior, really fits what Rex wants to do. Big time hard worker, similar to Kelly gregg in that way.