Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NT Prospects - Let's start looking

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Agreed...

NT is the key to a 3-4 defense like the Pats/Browns. It's not as important in Rex's scheme. Rex's scheme asks that you go higher end with the coverage compared to anything else.

Jerrell Powe is the best NT prospect right now. Wanted him to come out badly last year. Also wanted us to take Dan Williams badly last year although he obviously didn't fall quite far enough.

That kid on Michigan, albeit a junior, really fits what Rex wants to do. Big time hard worker, similar to Kelly gregg in that way.
    Washington junior Alameda Ta'amu, but he's likely to go top 45...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Washington junior Alameda Ta'amu, but he's likely to go top 45...
    thought he looked very average to below in the nebraska game...

Seeing 2 prospects in the Miami v. Clemson game:
    Clemson DT:
    http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports..._jarvis01.html

Miami 3-4 DE prospect (The Mo mentioned him earlier):
    http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/spor...y_allen00.html

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTJetsFanII View Post
    Seeing 2 prospects in the Miami v. Clemson game:
    Clemson DT:
    http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports..._jarvis01.html

Miami 3-4 DE prospect (The Mo mentioned him earlier):
    http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/spor...y_allen00.html
    neither are NT prospects and Bailey could be a top ten pick...

why???

what kind of NT did he win with in Baltimore??? a free agent from the days of the 12 round draft (Siragusa) and a 6th round pick (Kelly Gregg)....there are plenty of good NT's to be had later in the draft- maybe Cam Thomas from this year, definitely ahtyba rubin from three years ago...
    Yeah, I don't agree with that at all either. Rex's defense doesn't need an elite NT, just a good run stuffer like we have now in Pouha. I think we should wait until the middle rounds to get a big body.

FS and DE are the big necessities IMO. Allen Bailey is my ideal pick. He looks unblockable pretty much every game and has huge potential. I doubt he's there when we pick though.

McDaniel didn't play that well today against Miami though. I'm a big fan of his, but I was disappointed.

All League

Phil Taylor - Baylor #98

Phil Taylor
    Baylor #98
    DT
    6'4
    340lbs

Transfer from Penn State sat out 1 year, set to graduate December 2010:

Returning starter on defensive line back for senior season... Listed as starter at nose guard on post-spring depth chart... One of five returning starters on defense... Named to preseason All-Big 12 second team by Sports Illustrated and Phil Steele and third team by Athlon... Rated nation's No. 10 defensive tackle by Phil Steele... Has squated 665, bench 455 pounds and powercleaned 400 pounds... Former transfer from Penn State... On pace to graduate in December 2010 with degree in general studies... Traveled to Kenya for mission trip with Baylor student-athletes in May 2010.

2009 (Junior): Played all 12 games and started nine at defensive tackle as junior in first season at Baylor in 2009... Earned first Baylor letter... Totaled 25 tackles (2.5 for loss), an assisted sack, five QB hurries, two blocked kicks and one interception on season... Made more than half (13) of season's tackles (25) in first three games... Battled turf toe injury through middle portion of season... Made big splash in Baylor debut in season-opening win at Wake Forest, had four tackles (two solo) including one for loss and made career-first interception... Had four tackles, one QB hurry and blocked field goal (44-yard attempt on last play of first half) in second game vs. UConn... Had season-high and career-high-tying five tackles and an assisted sack in win over Northwestern State in third game... Made second kick block, PAT in third quarter, vs. Kent State in fourth game... Suffered turf toe injury in fifth game at No. 19 Oklahoma, limited and did not start following two games at Iowa State and vs. No. 14 Oklahoma State... Returned to starting lineup and had three tackles and two hurries vs. Nebraska in eighth game... Preseason Big 12 Newcomer of Year selection by media.

I like what I read, guy has the size and strength to be a true 3-4 NT....and those blocked Field Goals are evidence of strength and athleticism.

Sounds like a carobon copy of Kris Jenkins....
    Last edited by Jet_Engine1; 10-02-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    Phil Taylor
    Baylor #98
    DT
    6'4
    340lbs

Transfer from Penn State sat out 1 year, set to graduate December 2010:

I like what I read, guy has the size and strength to be a true 3-4 NT....and those blocked Field Goals are evidence of strength and athleticism.

Sounds like a carobon copy of Kris Jenkins....

jenkins was 319lbs entering the league- taylor was 360lbs last year and benched because of poor play....he showing signs of improvement and made some nice plays today but no better than a later rounder and a lot of risk/laziness...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

jenkins was 319lbs entering the league- taylor was 360lbs last year and benched because of poor play....he showing signs of improvement and made some nice plays today but no better than a later rounder and a lot of risk/laziness...
    wanted to bring this up...give Taylor credit- looks in much better shape, moves around 1000% better than one year ago and is not dragging his ass against the no huddle TT defense and this has been a wild first quarter...not going to go crazy on the guy just yet but the arrow is definitely pointing north...

wanted to bring this up...give Taylor credit- looks in much better shape, moves around 1000% better than one year ago and is not dragging his ass against the no huddle TT defense and this has been a wild first quarter...not going to go crazy on the guy just yet but the arrow is definitely pointing north...
    Hopefully he doesn't play himself out of our reach. Though I suppose when we are picking 32nd I won't be too upset at missing out on guys lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Play Like A Jet View Post
    He just came back from a 2 game suspension.

The NT that I have been impress with so far is Nick Fairley from Auburn. He is listed at 6-5 314 and has has been a "BEAST" in all of Auburn's wins so far. He can play the run and rush the passer, in which I believe he has had a sack in every game so far. He is only a JR, so I'm not sure if he will come out but he is definitely somebody to look out for.
    This guy was in the backfield ALL DAY today vs. LSU. Dominating game. A beastly display. Have to think this game really helped his draft stock.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    This guy was in the backfield ALL DAY today vs. LSU. Dominating game. A beastly display. Have to think this game really helped his draft stock.
    Fairley is definitely not a NT....two-gap end, three technique DT...

he's been brilliant all season- likely top 12 pick if his background checks out...

I called Phil Taylor last before the 09 season even started, I called him Mount Taylor in mocking referrence to Mount Cody who was a tub of lard compared to Taylor who looks like a brick house. I love that size and strength in the middle, this is the kind of prospect Rex can work with here, bring back Jenks one more year to groom him and in a couple of years we have a capable starting NT, for now Pouha's working just fine for us.
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 10-23-2010 at 11:44 PM.

heres my prediction the Jets will not draft a run stuffer at NT or DE in the first 3 rounds as long as Rex Ryan is the coach.

they will draft a pass rusher... maybe... but even then this coach would take a cornerback every year and rely upon the Devitos and Pouhas of the world... rather than use a premium draft pick on a DL.

look at the practice squad/bottom of the roster, they already have 2 or 3 sleepers in the pipeline. Marcus Dixon, MTV, Jarron Gilbert etc. This coach doesn't need high priced DL talent to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    heres my prediction the Jets will not draft a run stuffer at NT or DE in the first 3 rounds as long as Rex Ryan is the coach.

they will draft a pass rusher... maybe... but even then this coach would take a cornerback every year and rely upon the Devitos and Pouhas of the world... rather than use a premium draft pick on a DL.

look at the practice squad/bottom of the roster, they already have 2 or 3 sleepers in the pipeline. Marcus Dixon, MTV, Jarron Gilbert etc. This coach doesn't need high priced DL talent to succeed.

Funny, last fall when I brought up the corner from Virginia ( a junior at the time who decided to stay for his senior year) as a possible first rounder for us to pair with Revis you said we didn't need a CB, and I told you Rex cannot have enough of them, but you kept shooting the idea down and lo and behold we draft a corner.

I think the Jets will go BPA this year, maybe a DL or an OL, we know how much you think we don't need offensive linemen since 7 is enough, but I wouldn't put it past them to go OL especially if the go the BPA route.
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 10-25-2010 at 09:09 PM.

slik you make me laugh dude

sorry im not consistent enough for ya... i'll try to improve in the future. LOL

back to the draft I can see the Jets going DL but it won't be a pure runstuffer. NT type of guy isnt going to the Jets with a high pick.

it would be someone they believe can pass rush.

with Rex turning Devito and Pouha into studs, why waste any resources on a run stuffer?

back to the draft I can see the Jets going DL but it won't be a pure runstuffer. NT type of guy isnt going to the Jets with a high pick.

with Rex turning Devito and Pouha into studs, why waste any resources on a run stuffer?

You know I keep you honest, and I have the memory of an elephant just so you know.

YOU: Yeah yeah... with the studs we have on the OL (Turner and Hunter were our only backups at the time btw) why waste a pick on an OL? What we need is a blocking TE!

Me and Tanny say: (Slauson, Ducasse)

YOU: Yeah yeah: With the over abundance of corners we have (Lito, Strickland) we don't need corners.

Me and Tanny say: Wilson and Cro

YOU: Yeah yeah, we don't need a run stuffer with Pito, Tino and DeVito...

P.S- Be careful Bit
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 10-25-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    P.S- Be careful Bit

dude you're scaring me

I think Pouha can go another 5+ years as the teams NT. We simply don't need one. We do need starting DE material and some depth there behind. I don't think the team resigns Ellis, even though he has been incredible, tho not flashy.

Behind Pouha, we have an all-star cast on PS.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    I think Pouha can go another 5+ years as the teams NT. We simply don't need one. We do need starting DE material and some depth there behind. I don't think the team resigns Ellis, even though he has been incredible, tho not flashy.

Behind Pouha, we have an all-star cast on PS.
    Rex can polish turds at DL. I agree.