Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: *** Official '10-'11 New York Rangers Thread ***

Jets Insider VIP

*** Official '10-'11 New York Rangers Thread ***

Should be an interesting year if everyone can stay healthy.

My prayers of 4 years have finally been answered as Sather signed a quality NHL back-up goalie to help keep Henrik fresh throughout the season, especially down the stretch!

Here's my prediction (not necessarily my desired lineup) for the Rangers opening day roster of 23:

Goalies:

Henrik Lundqvist
    Martin Biron

Defensemen:

Marc Staal
    Dan Girardi
    Michael Del Zotto
    Michal Rozsival
    Matt Gilroy
    Steve Eminger
    Ryan McDonagh/Alexei Semenov (the kid has to step it up in the pre-season to make the lineup)

Forwards:

Derek Stepan - C
    Chris Drury - RW
    Erik Christensen - C
    Brandon Dubinsky - RW
    Artem Anisimov - C
    Brian Boyle - C
    Marion Gaborik - RW
    Alexander Frolov - LW
    Ryan Callahan - RW
    Vinny Prospal - LW
    Evgeny Grachev - C
    Sean Avery - LW
    Derek Boogaard - LW
    Brandon Prust - RW

This is assuming Sather goes with his public proclamation of the "youth movement." If he panics, I could see Ruslan Fedotenko forcing Grachev back to Hartford for yet another season.

Victims of the numbers game: Tim Kennedy, Mats Zuccarello-Aasen. I believe Kennedy would have to clear waivers to go to Hartford whereas Mats would not. Kennedy would be insurance in case Stepan hits a wall at some point. Unfortunately, Dane Byers can't crack the lineup yet again. He would have to beat out Prust IMO, but I doubt that will happen as Prust is a team favorite. I wouldn't be heartbroken if Fedotenko made the team in place of Christensen as I'm not sure Christensen will ever show consistency in his game. Fedotenko, while also inconsistent, does have a history with Torts and has a knack for scoring big goals. Michael Sauer and Dale Weise are wildcards. Have fun in Hartford Mr. Redden!

Well, there's my predictions. Would love to hear some of your thoughts.

Edit: Semenov was released so he's out.
    Grachev was sent to Hartford as was Byers and Zuccarello-Aasen.
    Looks like Fedotenko has a foot in the door.
    Last edited by Jordy; 09-28-2010 at 07:02 AM.

Veteran
    If Ruslan Fedetenko and Kennedy keep it up I don't see how they dont crack the line up as well. Waiving Redden was a great move, btw.
    I think Seminov could be there in place of Emminger or Gilroy possibly.
    Love the addition of Biron as well, a true back up that can start any game if needed.
    Overall I like what I'm seeing so far, a true compition for roster spots.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsnrangers View Post
    If Ruslan Fedetenko and Kennedy keep it up I don't see how they dont crack the line up as well. Waiving Redden was a great move, btw.
    I think Seminov could be there in place of Emminger or Gilroy possibly.
    Love the addition of Biron as well, a true back up that can start any game if needed.
    Overall I like what I'm seeing so far, a true compition for roster spots.
    I like Kennedy and I think Fedotenko could give them another guy who has a knack for scoring clutch goals, kinda like Talbot for the Pansies. With the injury to Drury, Kennedy has a shot to make the opening night lineup and I could see Fedotenko beating out Grachev to start the season.

All Pro
    Fedotenko is making it very tough for them to leave him off the roster

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I like Kennedy and I think Fedotenko could give them another guy who has a knack for scoring clutch goals, kinda like Talbot for the Pansies. With the injury to Drury, Kennedy has a shot to make the opening night lineup and I could see Fedotenko beating out Grachev to start the season.
    who are these pansies you speak of?????

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBensAngel7 View Post
    who are these pansies you speak of?????
    Nipple boy up there is one of them. Lord please put a different picture up! I feel so dirty looking at your posts.

Hall Of Fame
    Nipple boy up there is one of them. Lord please put a different picture up! I feel so dirty looking at your posts.
    i knew you were talking about my pens...

you just made me laugh so hard with your comment..lol.i am not taking sidney down until after they win the stanley cup this year. and if they dont i think i will keep it up until they do..lol

Jets Insider VIP
    i knew you were talking about my penis...

Jets Insider VIP
    Pavel Valentenko is making a strong case to make the opening night roster. He is exactly the type of player the Rangers need on the blueline. Solid defender with a good first pass and plays with an edge. I don't know if the Rangers would take the risk of keeping him and either McDonough or Sauer instead of the more experienced Eminger, but it is intriguing.

Hall Of Fame
    you know that isnt what i said Jordy..lol....

Veteran
    Pavel Valentenko is making a strong case to make the opening night roster. He is exactly the type of player the Rangers need on the blueline. Solid defender with a good first pass and plays with an edge. I don't know if the Rangers would take the risk of keeping him and either McDonough or Sauer instead of the more experienced Eminger, but it is intriguing.
    I like PV alot, he hit and has a big shot, Sauer really played well the other night and really made a case for himself. I think Eminger will get a good look the next 2 games but at the end of the day I think that PV or Sauer get the nod. I wouldn't want to see Sauer or PV as the 7th Dman when they could get quality playing time with the Pack. I guess we'll see over the next 3 days.

BTW BBA, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET RID OF SID ON YOUR SIG! AT LEAST HAVE HIM IN UNIFORM, WAY GAY AS IS!

Jets Insider VIP
    you know that isnt what i said Jordy..lol....
    I got you confused with Kelly for a minute...sorry

I like PV alot, he hit and has a big shot, Sauer really played well the other night and really made a case for himself. I think Eminger will get a good look the next 2 games but at the end of the day I think that PV or Sauer get the nod. I wouldn't want to see Sauer or PV as the 7th Dman when they could get quality playing time with the Pack. I guess we'll see over the next 3 days.

BTW BBA, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET RID OF SID ON YOUR SIG! AT LEAST HAVE HIM IN UNIFORM, WAY GAY AS IS!
    +1,000,000

Btw JNR, I think they changed the team name to The Whale.

Jets Insider VIP
    McDonagh and Tank sent to Hartford, but I think we may see them in the near future. Either way, I'm thrilled to have them in the system as both have solid futures. Nice return on the Gomez trade! I believe Sauer made the team over one of them mainly because he would have been exposed to waivers had they sent him to Hartford. I can see a trade happening sometime as we are pretty deep with Dmen in the system and those kids need playing time. If Eminger earns a top 6 spot, having Sauer or Gilroy sit every night is not productive to either's development.

So with Drury and Prospal injured, White makes the team. He was dreadful in the pre-season so unless he picks it up, he'll be the first to go once Dru or Prospal returns. The extra forward spot allows Kennedy to make the team. Fedotenko was awesome and deserved to be signed.

Can't wait for Saturday!

Veteran
    I like the Sauer move, the kids smart with the puck i our end. White and Kennedy were both put on waivers today. If Vinny doesnt come back and Kennedy passes through waivers(which I doubt) he'll be the guy getting signed. I'm liking the moves this year, they don't suck. Thank GOD hockey will be back to get me through the week between Jets games!

Jets Insider VIP
    I like the Sauer move, the kids smart with the puck i our end. White and Kennedy were both put on waivers today. If Vinny doesnt come back and Kennedy passes through waivers(which I doubt) he'll be the guy getting signed. I'm liking the moves this year, they don't suck. Thank GOD hockey will be back to get me through the week between Jets games!
    Yup. Just saw that Kennedy and White were waived. Doubt that White will get picked up primarily due to his salary. Kennedy is more likely to get claimed.

Jets Insider VIP
    The Todd White move was totally expected, especially if the Rangers are targeting Sheldon Souray. But I really don't get the Kennedy move. He's an inexpensive depth player who can play center and wing and kills penalties. And I'm not optimistic about Vinnie Prospal returning anytime soon so Kennedy is even more important. There must be someone the Rangers are eyeing as a potential cut from another team.

Veteran
    I think SS would not make sense with his hug salary and our log jam at D. I like where we're at right now. Comon' Saturday!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    I think SS would not make sense with his hug salary and our log jam at D. I like where we're at right now. Comon' Saturday!!!
    I have no interest in Souray. That would be the SOS (same old Sather) move that we've seen over the years. Getting a guy who had some excellent years in the past but is on the downside of his career at 34 and has had issues being healthy in the last 3 years.

Veteran
    I have no interest in Souray. That would be the SOS (same old Sather) move that we've seen over the years. Getting a guy who had some excellent years in the past but is on the downside of his career at 34 and has had issues being healthy in the last 3 years.
    Totally agree. I don't want SS either. Could be a trade or a move coming, you never know. Let the youth play!

As most of you know from some of my previous Jets interviews, I co-host a 100% commercial-free, no one makes a dime from it, Sports Talk radio show on Long Island. Last night, Daily News Rangers beat reporter Jesse Spector did a Rangers Season Preview with us.

You can find it at http://sportstalk903.libsyn.com

The interview is 31+ commercial-free minutes of nothing but Rangers talk in MP3 format.

Here is a chronological rundown of the topics discussed:

(I won't write out every player that Jesse mentioned, just the main discussion points)

--How the team is shaping up/its vibe (Jesse compares them to the ‘84/’85 Mets)
    --Chris Drury
    --Vinny Prospal
    --Derek Stepan
    --Ruslan Fedotenko
    --Putting Kennedy and White on Waivers
    --The Defense
    --What happens when the Injured Guys come back?
    --The Salary Cap
    --Wade Redden
    --Could the Rangers have been players in the Kovalchuk sweepstakes?
    --The goaltending situation
    --John Tortorella’s Future
    --Glen Sather’s Future
    --A discussion of the Prospects
    --Jesse’s prediction for the season

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy. Please feel free to let other Rangers fans know about this.