Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can someone PLEASE teach Wilson how to turn around? (merged)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3752819]Personally, I felt like he did turn around enough and the call was bogus.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? He got beat like a drum, did not turn around at all. Pass Interference, every time.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have any idea why he doesn't jam WR at the line? Looks like he lets them run right by him and he ends up in a chase.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MCBNY;3752839]Seriously? He got beat like a drum, did not turn around at all. Pass Interference, every time.[/QUOTE]

He clearly had his head turned around by the time the ball got there....we've all seen much more blatant stuff be not-called. Revis gets away with that play every single week. That's just physical play in my book.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3752819]Personally, I felt like he did turn around enough and the call was bogus.[/QUOTE]

I agree. But Wilson still sucks! He can not cover his mouth!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Darth Vader;3752778]i sure do. awareness is diffucult when the offense id two steps ahead of the cb, who is trying to cacth up to a WR that beat him, read the wrs's eyes and hands, etc. the rookie cb isnt always on the level, but rather a few steps behind in his progression, so the cue for "turning" just isnt seen.

it happens wth all of them, including revis. the game at this level is just too fast.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Revis didn't have very many interceptions but he had 17 passes defended his rookie year :eek:

And you're trying to tell me he couldn't locate the ball that year? Revis was simply phenomenal ever since he first put on the green and white. That includes hips, backpedal, recovery speed, and yes even ball skills.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3752849]He clearly had his head turned around by the time the ball got there....we've all seen much more blatant stuff be not-called. Revis gets away with that play every single week. That's just physical play in my book.[/QUOTE]

Nah. He just bowled Hartline over. Id have to see a replay if the head was turned, but he made no attempt on the ball. He just looked like he totally lost track of where the ball was and plowed into Hartline thinking the ball was already there based on how Hartline had set himself up to try to make a catch.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, he handles Wes Welker - arguably the toughest receiver the Jets face every year - for an entire half of football, but he sucks. :rolleyes: How about giving him more than 2 1/2 games of football before saying he sucks. Morons.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=genom;3753051]I disagree. Revis didn't have very many interceptions but he had 17 passes defended his rookie year :eek:

And you're trying to tell me he couldn't locate the ball that year? Revis was simply phenomenal ever since he first put on the green and white. That includes hips, backpedal, recovery speed, and yes even ball skills.[/QUOTE]

his learning curve was definitely shorter -- but he was a much more highly esteemed than Wilson -- we traded up into the top 15. Now he'd be a top 2 or 3 pick.

But he[U] DID [/U]have a learning curve.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Darth Vader;3753101]his learning curve was definitely shorter -- but he was a much more highly esteemed than Wilson -- we traded up into the top 15. Now he'd be a top 2 or 3 pick.

But he[U] DID [/U]have a learning curve.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree on what seems like Wilson's lack of make up speed. That first play of the game where he was beat deep he looked shockingly slow. I just don't see it with this kid. Call me pessimistic, or jumping to conclusions, but I just don't see a #2 CB in this kid. Can he develop? Sure he can, but I just have a bad feeling about him. Listen I want him to succeed as much as the next guy, but nothing jumps out about him for me. Seems an OK tackler, but his hips honestly look suspect. He might just be thinking too much, which is what I hope for, but I'm skeptical of him. He might also be a better corner in a zone defense. I don't see the physical bump and run corner in him. Dwight Lowery looked better at this stage of his rookie year.

The Justin Miller comparison looks very comparable, except Miller's athleticism was off the charts.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=genom;3753172]I'll agree on what seems like Wilson's lack of make up speed. That first play of the game where he was beat deep he looked shockingly slow. I just don't see it with this kid. Call me pessimistic, or jumping to conclusions, but I just don't see a #2 CB in this kid. Can he develop? Sure he can, but I just have a bad feeling about him. Listen I want him to succeed as much as the next guy, but nothing jumps out about him for me. Seems an OK tackler, but his hips honestly look suspect. He might just be thinking too much, which is what I hope for, but I'm skeptical of him. He might also be a better corner in a zone defense. I don't see the physical bump and run corner in him. Dwight Lowery looked better at this stage of his rookie year.

The Justin Miller comparison looks very comparable, except Miller's athleticism was off the charts.[/QUOTE]

Too early toi say JM. When we compare to JM we are calling a finished product. JM was NEVER able to mature past those rookie hangups. He is the outlier.

Most CBs move past them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3752581]Sheezus![/QUOTE]

This kid does not seem to be nearly the player we thought he was. I know he is a noob but you need to at least look for the ****ing ball once in a while. **** this guy never even thinks INT he just goes for the PI penalty. Here I thought nhe would help us omprove THIS ****ING YEAR.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3752581]Sheezus![/QUOTE]

Part of it has to be coaching too. A good percentage of those plays he actually has pretty good coverage but just doesn't turn around. Perfect example was that PI at like the jets 3 where he had perfect coverage.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetglass;3754030]Part of it has to be coaching too. A good percentage of those plays he actually has pretty good coverage but just doesn't turn around. Perfect example was that PI at like the jets 3 where he had perfect coverage.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. And, lots of good comments in this thread.

First, any comparison of Wilson to Revis (or anyone to Revis) is pretty unfair. But with that said, the Jets need to coach him up on his coverage and getting his head around when he sees the WR looking up wide-eyed at the ball. If they don't, he's going to collect a lot of yellow laundry this season.

I think Wilson has the talent and physical tools to be a very good corner, probably a solid #2 CB in this league but it will take time. I think he and the Jets have to do a few things immediately: Watch film and learn what teams are trying to do to him because he's going to be picked on all year. Even if he's good he's still a rookie and on a great Jets D he's the one possible weak spot opponents will target. They also have to get him more technique training. It's the NFL, not Boise State, and just having a good coverage doesn't help you defend a pass....Wide Receivers make catches over, around and through great coverage all the time. Just look at Braylon the past two weeks in the corner of the endzone. Wilson HAS to learn to see the ball approaching at this level.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 09-27-2010 at 01:08 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He pretty much took Wes Welker out of the 2nd half against the Pats. He looked bad tonight though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he needs to stay in the slot, in the middle more like they did later in the game. I thought he would be better against the sideline but I guess not.

But Cromartie does it too. Obviously not as bad as Wilson, but there's times you see the WR turning his head all the way around trying to find the ball and Cromartie doesn't do a thing.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least the coaching staff made the adjustment and had Wilson cover the slot guy, rather than the corner after his bad start. Shows the coaches are on the ball.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is his ROOOKIe year. Cut the kid a break. Right now, he's a slot guy. If you wanna blame someone, blame MEvi$ for sticking the rookie with his job cause of his greed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=yayankee;3754342]At least the coaching staff made the adjustment and had Wilson cover the slot guy, rather than the corner after his bad start. Shows the coaches are on the ball.[/QUOTE]

So who did we have out there at 2? Was it Coleman?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone PLEASE teach Wilson how to turn around?

+1

Call was bogus. Wilson will never be revis, but his coverage is there he needs awareness. He'll get it eventually.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think watching Revis has made us unaware of what the normal CB looks like playing. Revis just plays the ball the well and reads and tracks receivers so well that he looks like he could be the offensive player.