View Poll Results: Did the Spanish in last night's game annoy you?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

89 58.55%
  • No

41 26.97%
  • Don't care

22 14.47%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Did the Spanish in last night's game annoy you?

Veteran

OT: Did the Spanish in last night's game annoy you?

I have not yet seen this discussed but did the Spanish in last night's game annoy you? The team names on the scoreboard were constantly in Spanish and some of the commercials were as well.

Yes
    No
    Don't care

Personally I find it really annoying. Last time I checked this is an English speaking country. On the other hand, it is a good business decision by the NFL to appeal to the Hispanic population. It probably pleased more Hispanics than angered anyone else. I understand it is in Miami and its Hispanic heritage month, but still.

All Pro
    Very annoying. I don't wanna see pink gloves and cleats and I don't want "hispanic month" involved in my football either.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    I have not yet seen this discussed but did the Spanish in last night's game annoy you? The team names on the scoreboard were constantly in Spanish and some of the commercials were as well.

Yes
    No
    Don't care

Personally I find it really annoying. Last time I checked this is an English speaking country. On the other hand, it is a good business decision by the NFL to appeal to the Hispanic population. It probably pleased more Hispanics than angered anyone else. I understand it is in Miami and its Hispanic heritage month, but still.
    Its just a ploy to get my people to watch the NFL and buy NFL stuff.
    Dont take it so seriously. No one is gonna take your job.

I know this can be scary but as hispanics continue to educate themselves and go to college, they will have the finances to buy tickets and merchandise.
    And the NFL continues to grow in viewership across nationalities. Just recently I had a Jamaican brother talk football with me and I was impressed with how much he knew and how he kept up with me regarding some of my NFL thoughts.
    So, its only natural that a great company (the NFL) invest early on the youth of America (like Kraft and Johnson & Johnson) so when that generation has the purchasing power, they know where to spend their entertainment-dollar.
    Last edited by HitSomeone41; 09-28-2010 at 12:27 AM.

Veteran
    si, me molesta

All Pro
    no, why? Did it bother you? Why would that be? What's wrong with giving some acknowledgment to the hispanic population who watch the NFL by mixing in some spanish to the broadcast. It was a show of respect. That's all. Strange thing to get one's panties in a bunch about, don't you think? Unless there are some racist undercurrents here. But of course that's not the case.

Rookie
    Very very very annoying, no mas.....

All League
    no

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Did it annoy me?

Let's just say that I wanted to stab J-Lo and Marc Anothony in the neck with a pencil by the time the first commercial sprung up.

Hall Of Fame
    If the game was at the Meadowlands, there would have been MAYBE a couple of mention of Hispanic Heritage Month or w/e.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliJetsFan View Post
    si, me molesta
    jajajaja

Hall Of Fame
    Look.....I understand that soon there would be Pink-color bracelets(or something) that would be worn for Breast-Cancer awareness. Heard it on Boomer and Moron..err, Carton in the Morning. That's fine.

BUT I kind of like to read a scoreboard without taking out my Spanish-to-English Dictionary every 5 seconds...

I also don't like the Spanish-business 'cause it actually affects my enjoyment of the game. Just my own damn opinion, of course.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by HitSomeone41 View Post
    Its just a ploy to get my people to watch the NFL and buy NFL stuff.
    Dont take it so seriously. No one is gonna take your job.

I know this can be scary but as hispanics continue to educate themselves and go to college, they will have the finances to buy tickets and merchandise.
    And the NFL continues to grow in viewership across nationalities. Just recently I had a Jamaican brother talk football with me and I was impressed with how much he knew and how he kept up with me regarding some of my NFL thoughts.
    So, its only natural that a great company (the NFL) invest early on the youth of America (like Kraft and Johnson & Johnson) so when that generation has the purchasing power, they know where to spend their entertainment-dollar.
    Why would this be scary? I think it's great. Most hispanics I know are very cool, family-oriented, hardworking people. The only thing I dislike is how we have to have a special day/week/month for certain groups. When is national White Guy Month? lol

On the language front, yes, it was kind of annoying that for one game they switched the language to Spanish. I understand the demographics but when other nationalities immigrate here they have to learn English. Should we use a French scoreboard next month, a Chinese one in November? I'm all for celebrating heritage and culture, but not sure we have to use other languages or charge for tickets in pesos in order to do that.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 09-28-2010 at 12:39 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by HitSomeone41 View Post
    ...and to learn English.

Veteran
    No big deal.

Hall Of Fame
    It was annoying but I guess it's better that I couldn't understand the commercials.

F*** COMMERCIALS!

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    no, why? Did it bother you? Why would that be? What's wrong with giving some acknowledgment to the hispanic population who watch the NFL by mixing in some spanish to the broadcast. It was a show of respect. That's all. Strange thing to get one's panties in a bunch about, don't you think? Unless there are some racist undercurrents here. But of course that's not the case.
    It annnoyed the living **** out of me. Especially when a spanish speaking person says New York instead of nueva york when referring to the city or any of its teams. To quote the Great Michael Savage "Borders Language and Culture".

All League
    I don't mind or care. When I can walk into a super market and take a sample of mozzarella cheese and not have to be corrected by some stupid douche with sausage fingers slowly pronouncing it "MOOOZAAAAREEEEHHHLLLL" to my face then they can get one freakin' game where the commercials are in Spanish

Practice Squad
    Yes, it was mucho annoying!! Seriously though, who gives a damn? It was just the team names and a few commercials that were in spanish. Do people also hate the fact that our franchise QB is hispanic??? This is AMERICA! Sanchez needs to change his name!!!!!!!!!!!! So damn annoying!!! C'mon people lighten up. Maybe this is all Obama's fault too?

Rookie
    ABSOFNTIVLY it buged the ship out of me.

Bad enough going to the store and hearing this jibberish.

This is America, learn our language or crawl back under the fence on your way back home.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsonly View Post
    ABSOFNTIVLY it buged the ship out of me.

Bad enough going to the store and hearing this jibberish.

This is America, learn our language or crawl back under the fence on your way back home.
    "they took er jerbs"