Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious if people think we miss kerry rhodes

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3757213]Remember: The best defense is a good offense.

I am all for the secondary sucking a bit because that's the mojo needed to get Son Of Marty to wake the f-ck up and start throwing the ball around. If Kerry Rhodes was any good, then his departure has led to our offensive resurgence. Thanks, Kerry.

We have a franchise quarterback. How about we [I]use [/I]him.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

He really has shown poise, accuracy, arm strength and good decision making as of late. COming along very nicely

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    no

we got two picks for him. much more than expected for a sissymary.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was Pool who zoomed in to knock Marshall out of bounds on the 11 yd line on that last fins possession...preventing a TD. And Pool made the deflection of the last pass by Henne to Marshall at the goal line...which Coleman intercepted. Pool also had a very athletic INT...in that 2nd half of that Pats game. When Moss and Cromarte were contesting that long pass which got deflected.

Pool couldn't practice for a couple weeks with a bad ankle. Missed the Ravens opener. And in his first game ever in a Jets uniform...still not 100%...made that impact INT against the Pats. When he gets acclimated to Ryan's style of secondary play...he will be a force at his safety position. Something Kerry couldn't...or wouldn't ever be in a Rex D.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 09-28-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gijet;3757200]i no Revis has been out [B]but our pass defense went from best to basically the worst in the NFL.[/B]... i have really not been a fan of kerry the past few years but he had good range on pass coverage and im wondering if people think we are missing him and that is one of the reasons for the dramatic drop off in our secondary so far... Eric Smith is a good hitter but lacks range and i have not seen enough of Brodney to have any idea accept he has made a couple of big plays[/QUOTE]

Well, 27th isn't exactly thee worst, but close:

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkjets/profile?team=NYJ[/URL]

;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The proof is in the pudding.....

Our Pass D has been nowheres near as good as it was last year. And that includes when Revis was playing as well...that's just a simple fact.

Make all the excuses you want, but one of the main reasons is we've lost our best coverage guy among our Safties.

Instead, we got an injury prone guy who isn't all that good when he's healthy. (And no, him being injured isn't an acceptable excuse, because he's ALWAYS injured. That's why he was so cheap in the first place.) :rolleyes:

You'd have to be delusional at this point to think losing Kerry hasn't hurt this team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its not being delusional.... First off Revis week 1 was NOT playing like he did last year, they took it easy on him week 1 and he played a side and didn't shadow the #1, what happened? Boldin had a 100+ yard game vs us.... Brodney Pool didn't play that game either and with Pool "always" being injured, he does not always get injured with things like a sprain ankle, he has had head issues. He hasn't missed many games in his career anyways.

Next week 2 Revis clearly wasn't 100%, he didn't take sprints all week or pregame reportedly. He didn't look full speed in the game either. Pool was limited in that game as well.

Last week once again our troubles fell on not having Revis. Marshall had 166 yards vs us. With Revis on the field the coverages changes and the results would of been different.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kerry Rhodes - who is she?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3757630]The proof is in the pudding.....

Our Pass D has been nowheres near as good as it was last year. And that includes when Revis was playing as well...that's just a simple fact.

Make all the excuses you want, but one of the main reasons is we've lost our best coverage guy among our Safties.

Instead, we got an injury prone guy who isn't all that good when he's healthy. (And no, him being injured isn't an acceptable excuse, because he's ALWAYS injured. That's why he was so cheap in the first place.) :rolleyes:

You'd have to be delusional at this point to think losing Kerry hasn't hurt this team.[/QUOTE]

Revis was playing hurt - he didn't even cover Boldin week 1.
    Pool was hurt week 1 - wasn't playing until Revis went out.

I think you have to wait a few games.
    Right now, I don't "miss" a safety when I know Pool is coming on and learning the system still.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MCBNY;3757610][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AapxXRlsdwA[/url]

:D[/QUOTE]

Very well played MCBNY

:clapper:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

You'd have to be delusional at this point to think losing Kerry hasn't hurt this team.[/QUOTE]

Or it could be that after last year, teams know, in order to beat the Jets, you have to pass the ball. If you recall, b4 last year we had a very suspect run D. Then we were #1 against the rush. So if you are an early season opponent's offensive coordinator, what would you try?

With that delusion in mind, how has Arizona's pass D been? One player does not make a defense. While Kerry had great range at one time, it did not seem to be quite effective since the 07 season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys realize that we allowed just as many passing yards last year against the fish right?

We also played the Pats and the Ravens, two teams with EXCELLENT recieving cores.

Oh yea, the best DB on planet earth has been injured.

THis has nothing to do with kerry rhodes

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i miss him on madden with his 88 rating.. rather then pool/e smith with their 72/78

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chupa;3757664]You guys realize that we allowed just as many passing yards last year against the fish right?

We also played the Pats and the Ravens, two teams with EXCELLENT recieving cores.

Oh yea, the best DB on planet earth has been injured.

THis has nothing to do with kerry rhodes[/QUOTE]

Best post in the thread by far. In just three weeks, this team has faced Boldin, Mason, Housmanzadeh, Moss, Welker, and Marshall, not to mention three excellent TEs in Heap, Fasano, and the young kid from the Pats (who has eaten all three teams he's faced this year).

If the team is still giving up chunks of yards like this after playing the Bills, Vikings, and Broncos - three teams with weak passing attacks - THEN it's time to wonder if the team messed up by dropping *****-ass Kerry Rhodes.

Until then, it's a knee-jerk reaction. Yes, Leonhard is a liability in coverage. But the same Jim Leonhard was a part of the #1 pass defense just last year. Let's give Pool a chance to acclimate himself and fully replace Rhodes before we lament the loss of a safety that most of us were glad to see go.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh! hell nooo! I dont miss her!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quite frankly, I wish we had Hank Poteat.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was pretty obvious that Rex-Pettine were not happy with Rhodes play last year. Feeling that Kerry was contributing less then what his abilities were capable of. And we're all aware that Rex made several public statements to that effect. Hoping it would light a fire under Rhodes' preparation and play. And apparently Rhodes never improved enough to the satisfaction of the CS.

Brodney Pool can be a force at safety in this Rex defense. But I'm also aware that it's a risk counting on Pool staying healthy too...and playing a full season. Cause injuries certainly are a big part of his history. Though this is a risk that Rex was well aware of when Jets got Pool. He's still young at 26. So maybe Pool can start a better chapter to his career here.

Rex-Pettine have my trust that they know what's best for their D. The CS took that risk in letting Rhodes go. And have taken another risk in counting on Pool. And in the end...only time will tell if these were good moves or not.

The immediate problems concerning this secondary are more likely to do with factors other then the Rhodes theory. One of them is the fact that it's trying to incorporate 3 new players into a system that they've never played in before. This is not a theory...but a reality. It should also be obvious that Revis not playing has had a rippling negative impact on the play of Cromarte and Wilson. They're both playing out of position to what the CS had in mind for them. Hurting Wilson the most by exposing him too soon to the responsibilities of being a #2 corner. He's supposed to play the nickle this year. #2 corner was only to be a future possibility.

We won't have any clear answers about this unit's capabilities...until this group is all together and plays for awhile. Pool is back...hopefully Revis comes back for the Vikings game. Until then...all these theories are nothing more then hollow answers. The truth will be how well they all play together with a healthy, and a ready to play in the NFL Revis.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 09-29-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets fans, like all NFL fans, have a tendency to overrate our own players and underrate the others... Kerry Rhodes was awesome as a rookie, the best Jets S ever... now that he's gone he sucks donkey balls. The truth is in between.

My take: as much as we want to think otherwise, not having this player is hurting this defense on 3rd and long. The proof is indeed in the pudding. when the Jets send the house they had KR playing centerfield, even when he was "benched" this was the case. He missed a tackle against Mercedes Lewis in 2009 but other than that was a very solid coverage safety.

now we can sit here and make fun of the dude, and put pics of him with his shirt off looking like a pansy but we could do that with Jason Taylor too. that off the field stuff is crap. I personally don't care if a dude acts in terrible movies, raps or dances with the stars, as long as he can play ball.

Bottom line the defense is not more talented without him... and the defense isn't as good as last year (neither is the OL) but it's a downgrade they can overcome, especially if Mark Sanchez keeps playing hot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3757247]Jets fans are the ****ing worst.[/QUOTE]

LOL, no Revis, D struggles a bit in the Miami heat, 3 new starters in the secondary and without Revis, it must be because we don't have Rhodes this year. :rolleyes:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly!! Listen, I for one am happy Rhodes is gone. But I will not deny the fact that we miss his coverage skills. He played pretty darn good centerfield.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rhodes was the best coverage safety we had and it's delusional to think he didn't have a role in our team rarely giving up big plays down the middle of the field. Hopefully Pool gets there when he's healthy but right now Rhodes and not having him plays a role in the huge disparity in pass defense.
    Last edited by kdelgado; 09-29-2010 at 07:48 AM.