Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vernon Gholston

Jets Insider VIP

Vernon Gholston

It's been a few weeks. How do we think Vernon is doing? I remember one tackle against Miami and it seems he only has 4 on the season. Has he been playing much?

All League
    Invisible. Still.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3758708]It's been a few weeks. How do we think Vernon is doing? I remember one tackle against Miami and it seems he only has 4 on the season. Has he been playing much?[/QUOTE]..pretty much the same...this is the best he's ever going to be...

Jets Insider VIP
    Still has a goose egg as far as sacks go.

All League
    He's getting reps but just seems to miss out on being a part of the play.
    I want this dude to so step up but he just seems to lack the skills or desire.
    His first step is nowhere near fast enough to make up for his lack of size.
    Bummer......:(

All Pro
    He's in the rotation. Not making much of an impact but also not getting exploited.

I would say he plays DE so he's not gonna get much, but then again Ellis has been killin it at DE. Soooo...yeah. He ALMOST had pressure on Tom Brady, well until he threw it up to Moss for TD. :O

All Pro
    I understand, though, that he has been staying up very late at night, putting in an extra effort in order to bond with his teammates.:rolleyes:

Hes playing DE in a 3-4 scheme with the body of a 4-3 DE

Hes not going to put up much numbers.

in all fairness our whole team has lacked big plays on the defensive side of the ball...5 sacks in 3 games? 4 INT's in 3 games? erik smith leads the team with 13 tackles? we haven't played like a top defense...

Total JAG...You can get equal production from an undrafted free agent...so for the time being taken at #6 he is a complete bust.

[QUOTE=BleednGreen;3758735]Hes playing DE in a 3-4 scheme with the body of a 4-3 DE

Hes not going to put up much numbers.[/QUOTE]

i dont know how true that is, he seems to do better against the run then he does the pass...which is something 4-3 DE's usually struggle with.

All League
    He still looks tentative to me... there was that running play to Brown, where Cro had his hands on him but Ronnie still added another 5yds to it and watching the replay, Golston is standing there watchign the play rather then helping finish it....he could have drove him out of bounds.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think Vernon Gholston is the Robert Gallery of defensive linemen. Taken very high in the draft to play LT, Gallery couldn't cut it but has become a quality (but not great) starting OG. That's pretty much what's happening with Vernon. He has enough to probably start and hold his own in the NFL but he'll never be a star or have the impact you'd expect given his draft position. His next contract will reflect his market value as borderline starting/rotational DE unless he's cut/traded to a team playing a 4-3 that wants him down to rush the passer and take a flyer on him.

[QUOTE=K-Met57;3758741]i dont know how true that is, he seems to do better against the run then he does the pass...which is something 4-3 DE's usually struggle with.[/QUOTE]

When Rex sends the blitz Verns the one occupying the blockers

I wish Rex would put him at olb for obvious passing down when wed be blizting anyway

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;3758764]Who?[/QUOTE]

Pete Townsend. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=BleednGreen;3758751]When Rex sends the blitz Verns the one occupying the blockers

I wish Rex would put him at olb for obvious passing down when wed be blizting anyway[/QUOTE]

i think at this point Rex knows what vern is and what he isnt, i trust that at this point he is using him in places where he thinks he can give him the most production...and OLB seems like a failed experiment.

He's doing fine as a rotational 3-4 DE, doing a fine job against the run (which is really astounding for someone of his size, but it just shows how strong he is), doing well at occupying blockers and doing the dirty work. He's found a niche where he can actually contribute to this team in some form. I suppose that's progress.

But with all that said, we're paying him for a hell of a lot more then being a poor mans Devito. For #6 pick money, you need to at least be a reliable starter, if not a borderline star, and Gholston is neither.

So unless Vernon is willing to re-negotiate a new contract that pays him in line with his present abilities (and by willing, I mean coerced), I still believe he'll be gone after this year.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=BleednGreen;3758735]Hes playing DE in a 3-4 scheme with the body of a 4-3 DE

Hes not going to put up much numbers.[/QUOTE]

This argument is getting really old. He's only been on the team for 3 years now. If Rex cannot find a way to make something out of him, I don't think anyone will.