Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vernon Gholston

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

There was a play in Sunday's game where Ronnie Brown ran to the outside and Gholston was chasing, and it was almost comical, he looked like Frankenstein, running with giant cement shoes :D Another play Jake Long blocked him with one hand, just like the Matrix.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3758787]He's doing fine as a rotational 3-4 DE, doing a fine job against the run (which is really astounding for someone of his size, but it just shows how strong he is), doing well at occupying blockers and doing the dirty work. He's found a niche where he can actually contribute to this team in some form. I suppose that's progress.

But with all that said, we're paying him for a hell of a lot more then being a poor mans Devito. For #6 pick money, you need to at least be a reliable starter, if not a borderline star, and Gholston is neither.

So unless Vernon is willing to re-negotiate a new contract that pays him in line with his present abilities (and by willing, I mean coerced), I still believe he'll be gone after this year.[/QUOTE]

My guess is that, assuming that the cap rules go back to the norm next year, the Jets already pretty much have the structure all laid out for the renegotiation. I think the dead cap hit is still too large for the team to just cut him without an attempt to renegotiate. I think they go to him next February and say you were willing to play the next two years for the minimum along with a 2.5M roster bonus, but clearly we cant pay you that bonus. They will probably split the difference and offer a 1.25M SB for a 3 year deal with each year at the minimum salary. They would make him eligible for team based escalators in each of the last two years for small salary increases.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3758708]It's been a few weeks. How do we think Vernon is doing? I remember one tackle against Miami and it seems he only has 4 on the season. Has he been playing much?[/QUOTE]

Gholston is a bust i dont no why everyone keeps thinking he is going to turn into something he is not... i have posted b4 i have spoke to a coach from Mangini staff who told me the guy is really soft mentally he gets picked on by teamates and is just not good no burst off the LOS zero moves etc... i wish it wasnt the case but he is officially the GHOST.. and i cant imagine any scenario that he is back next season

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3758750]I think Vernon Gholston is the Robert Gallery of defensive linemen. Taken very high in the draft to play LT, Gallery couldn't cut it but has become a quality (but not great) starting OG. That's pretty much what's happening with Vernon. He has enough to probably start and hold his own in the NFL but he'll never be a star or have the impact you'd expect given his draft position. His next contract will reflect his market value as borderline starting/rotational DE unless he's cut/traded to a team playing a 4-3 that wants him down to rush the passer and take a flyer on him.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this completely. I think he resigns here for peanuts. He's decent depth at the veteran minimum, and honestly, what team is going to throw this guy any serious dough to rush the passer, regardless of scheme? Is there any pass rusher in the history of the league who failed to record a sack in his first two seasons?

DeVito has a sack. Howard Green has a sack. Pouha has a half-sack. Gholston is a little more than an undersized run-stuffer at this point, and last I checked there was no real market for those guys beyond a contract hovering around the minimum. That said, he still has a chance to turn it around...:rolleyes:

All League
    forgot which game but he would have got a sack if he wasnt held

Hall Of Fame
    gholston looks like he belongs out there...he doesn't look like he's a top 10 draft pick but he looks like he belongs on the field now which from outsiders may seem like a punchline but folks this is huge progress...i have confidence in vern out there. he's a lesser bryan thomas at this point.

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;3758764]Who?[/QUOTE]

Emma

Give the guy time, he just changed position for gosh sake.

All League
    He's been more productive than in the past...:rolleyes:

But I guess that's not saying much.

He will get there.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=FF2;3759007]Give the guy time, he just changed position for gosh sake.[/QUOTE]

Yeah,

If only he played for a defensive genius. Oh, wait........ ;)

The worst

Gholston may get more playing time at OLB this week if Westerman can't go.

Cummings will be active and will back-up at ILB, if Pace plays, he'll play sparingly outside, but I think Gholston will get a lot of work at OLB against a Bills offense that figures to feature the running game.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3759087]Gholston may get more playing time at OLB this week if Westerman can't go.

Cummings will be active and will back-up at ILB, if Pace plays, he'll play sparingly outside, but I think Gholston will get a lot of work at OLB against a Bills offense that figures to feature the running game.[/QUOTE]

cummings? isn't he gone?

[QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3759095]cummings? isn't he gone?[/QUOTE]

Nah, he played in the first two games, was inactive last week.

gholston was a special teamer in years 1 and 2

he's a rotational guy in year 3

this is how it goes in the NFL

very few DE coming into the league are instant-good. no matter where they were drafted.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3759209]Nah, he played in the first two games, was inactive last week.[/QUOTE]

kenwin cummings?

I said this last year, but I dont blame the Jets for drafting Gholston. That draft was very top heavy and had very little depth. The Jets got unlucky, what a surprise, by having the 6 pick in a weak draft.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3759239]gholston was a special teamer in years 1 and 2

he's a rotational guy in year 3

this is how it goes in the NFL

very few DE coming into the league are instant-good. no matter where they were drafted.[/QUOTE]

I agree somehow.. But if you draft a player Top10 you expect more out of him than just special teams the first 2 season..
    Players that play special teams first and then have to earn their spot are drafted late rounds not Top10..

All League
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3758815]There was a play in Sunday's game where Ronnie Brown ran to the outside and Gholston was chasing, and it was almost comical, he looked like Frankenstein, running with giant cement shoes :D Another play Jake Long blocked him with one hand, just like the Matrix.[/QUOTE]

Yep...That Ronnie Brown play summed it up, the guy is always late on a play. After the Ponnie Brown play I jumped from my seat and yelled that ****er gotta be benched.:steamin:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... he's gone from -8 to -2 on a 1 to 10 ... making progress ...

l_j_r