Thread: New Story: Jets Sign DE Trevor Pryce

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    RavensInsider
    Derrick mason and ed reed both wearing trevor pryce jerseys

Awww...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3759561]We didn't have to put 2 Linebackers on IR, like we did at D-Lineman[/QUOTE]

True.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3759605]My point is they wouldn't have cut him if they felt he was one of their most valuable defenders, you don't take that risk. They cut him because they judged him to be expendable. Not just for next weeks game, but potentially for the rest of the season, because when you cut someone, you know there's no guarantee you can get them back.

The Richardson stuff still doesn't make any sense. I'm convinced the only reason they signed him back when they did was because of the public outcry. They can spin it however they want, but I'm calling BS on that. I still think the Jets wanted to go without him for that Week 1 game, to save a couple bucks and to have the option of cutting him later on should Conner prove worthy of the starting job, and when they got called out on it, they backtracked.

As for his sack total, Baltimore is the same team that made him come back as a bench player after that 6.5 sack season. Sometimes, those numbers can be misleading.[/QUOTE]

1. Nobody is calling him one of their most valuable defenders.

2. 6.5 sacks is 6.5 sacks; and on a team thats thin on the Dline its a good move. He can also play anywhere on the Dline and can still make enough plays to help.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fullblast;3759611]RavensInsider

Awww...[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://dl2.glitter-graphics.net/pub/743/743662l45g05d1qv.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3759583]Nice point just proves how Rex is touch with talent out there[/QUOTE]

It also proves how closely Cappy T & Terry B watch the waiver wires too. Hey Trevor, welcome to my town and welcome to my team, now get out there and hit somebody.

:welcome:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fullblast;3759611]RavensInsider

Awww...[/QUOTE]

Jetstream23 Insider:

Bart Scott probably wearing an ear to ear smile today. :yes:

Pryce will add depth to a thin D-line and is known by Rex, Scott, Leonhard, etc. He'll fit right in starting today.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3759543]I think he's done, but hopefully he proves me wrong.[/QUOTE]

Pure rotation guy, Ven0m.

He's not going to start so the "done" stuff is irrelevant.

Look at Howard Green, he pretty much sucks if he has to play alot. But the Jets put him in a few plays and look at SNF. Green blew up the center and forced a hurry by Henne.

That's all the Jets need from Pryce. A quality handful of snaps a game to rest the starters.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scouts Inc. still grades him at 67 (average starter)

[url]http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?playerId=1198[/url]

Trevor Pryce #90 DE
    2010 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
    Grade: 67 | Key

Comment: Pryce is a 14-year veteran with diminishing skills. He continues to be an effective pass-rusher but has clearly lost quickness and burst. Pryce has great size; he can be a penetrating one-gap end or can hold the point in the run game. He is powerful with long arms and excellent hand usage. He does a good job of keeping blockers off his body and is quick to shed. Pryce is also a powerful tackler who can jolt ball carriers. As he ages, his leverage becomes more and more of a problem. Pryce shows some stiffness and, at times, his pads can get too high. Also, although he's a crafty pass-rusher, he doesn't offer much from a speed off the edge.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frankiepapa;3759606]wow..no love for manish[/QUOTE]

Not when I see TMZ tabloid s#it like this:

[IMG]http://bit.ly/ajd7Sz[/IMG]

Then he deletes his 140 characters or less when he gets called out on it.

So yes Papa, no love for ship jumping rats from me. :yuch:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jgrlica3;3759636]Scouts Inc. still grades him at 67 (average starter)

[url]http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?playerId=1198[/url]

Trevor Pryce #90 DE
    2010 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
    Grade: 67 | Key

Comment: Pryce is a 14-year veteran with diminishing skills. He continues to be an effective pass-rusher but has clearly lost quickness and burst. Pryce has great size; he can be a penetrating one-gap end or can hold the point in the run game. He is powerful with long arms and excellent hand usage. He does a good job of keeping blockers off his body and is quick to shed. Pryce is also a powerful tackler who can jolt ball carriers. As he ages, his leverage becomes more and more of a problem. Pryce shows some stiffness and, at times, his pads can get too high. Also, although he's a crafty pass-rusher, he doesn't offer much from a speed off the edge.[/QUOTE]

Good assessment. My takeaway from this is that while he won't be a difference maker, when he's in there we don't have to worry about him at all. He won't be a weakness.

Again, very solid move by the Jets to add to our thinnest group on the team (D-line). This was very opportunistic.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;3759634]Pure rotation guy, Ven0m.

He's not going to start so the "done" stuff is irrelevant.

Look at Howard Green, he pretty much sucks if he has to play alot. But the Jets put him in a few plays and look at SNF. Green blew up the center and forced a hurry by Henne.

That's all the Jets need from Pryce. A quality handful of snaps a game to rest the starters.[/QUOTE]

Someone gets it!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3759605]My point is they wouldn't have cut him if they felt he was one of their most valuable defenders, you don't take that risk. They cut him because they judged him to be expendable. Not just for next weeks game, but potentially for the rest of the season, because when you cut someone, you know there's no guarantee you can get them back.

The Richardson stuff still doesn't make any sense. I'm convinced the only reason they signed him back when they did was because of the public outcry. They can spin it however they want, but I'm calling BS on that. I still think the Jets wanted to go without him for that Week 1 game, to save a couple bucks and to have the option of cutting him later on should Conner prove worthy of the starting job, and when they got called out on it, they backtracked.

As for his sack total, Baltimore is the same team that made him come back as a bench player after that 6.5 sack season. Sometimes, those numbers can be misleading.[/QUOTE]

While Baltimore may have shown what they thought of him by cutting him (even if they meant to bring him back), this could also be an example of a team getting bit by being too cute. They probably told him they are cutting him and intend on bringing him back, but when Rex got word of the roster move, he was probably on the phone with Tanny and then with Pryce within 20 minutes of finding out, and convinced him to give the Jets a chance.

If they knew he was going to be swept up, they may not have cut him in the first place.

The part Ive missed is why was Pryce cut in the first place. Who did they need a roster spot for and how were they going to bring him back?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3759648]While Baltimore may have shown what they thought of him by cutting him (even if they meant to bring him back), this could also be an example of a team getting bit by being too cute. They probably told him they are cutting him and intend on bringing him back, but when Rex got word of the roster move, he was probably on the phone with Tanny and then with Pryce within 20 minutes of finding out, and convinced him to give the Jets a chance.

If they knew he was going to be swept up, they may not have cut him in the first place.

The part Ive missed is why was Pryce cut in the first place. Who did they need a roster spot for and how were they going to bring him back?[/QUOTE]

i don't think balt. cuts him if they weren't getting cody back. they gambled b/c they could afford to lose pryce. i just hope the jets can add some young dline depth this offseason.

All Jets 24/7
    Post Thanks / Like

New Story: Jets Sign DE Trevor Pryce

[B]Florham Park, N.J.[/B] - After having lost a couple of their own players from the practice squad to other teams, that felt they needed the players more, the Jets swooped in and signed defensive end Trevor Pryce.

The Ravens waived Pryce on Wednesday due to roster shuffling similar to what the Jets had to deal with in their practice squad moves. The Ravens were confident Pryce would be returning to them, but the Jets weren't going to miss out on the chance to reunite Pryce with his former defensive coordinator.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said, "You've got roster issues that you deal...

[url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/blogs/christopher_nimbley/?p=295]More...[/url]

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3759648]While Baltimore may have shown what they thought of him by cutting him (even if they meant to bring him back), this could also be an example of a team getting bit by being too cute. They probably told him they are cutting him and intend on bringing him back, but when Rex got word of the roster move, he was probably on the phone with Tanny and then with Pryce within 20 minutes of finding out, and convinced him to give the Jets a chance.

The part Ive missed is why was Pryce cut in the first place. Who did they need a roster spot for and how were they going to bring him back?[/QUOTE]

They needed spot for Ken Hamlin.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curse you MM!!!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;3759652]i don't think balt. cuts him if they weren't getting cody back. they gambled b/c they could afford to lose pryce. i just hope the jets can add some young dline depth this offseason.[/QUOTE]

but what I'm missing is....what's the gamble? What were they trying to do by cutting Pryce? OK, they are getting Cody back, but he was on the roster anyway. Who was Pryce cut in favor of and how did they plan on "bringing him back"?

When the Jets cut T-Rich, it probably related to sneaking guys on to the practice squad a few days after every other team made its roster moves. Cutting T-Rich allowed them to have a guy on the active roster for a couple of days and then waive someone in order to put them on the practice squad. Teams would be less inclined to go after a player 2 days after they think their roster is set. At least that's how I interpreted it.

In this instance, I'm just not sure what Baltimore's larger plan was. What spot did they need to cut Pryce?

Edit: I just read that they needed the spot for Ken Hamlin who they just picked up.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;3759655]They needed spot for Ken Hamlin.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - just saw that. I guess Ed Reed ain't comin back any time soon.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anything that bolsters our non-existant pass rush is a GOOD move imo.:yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't be surprised if he started

still one of the better 34 DEs in the league IMO