Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Knicks working on a deal to land melo

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    newark, nj
    Posts
    1,440
    Post Thanks / Like

    Knicks working on a deal to land melo

    Espn is reporting that the knicks are in the works to acquire a first rd pick from houston to put in a package for melo.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,292
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think that what would no doubt be a late first round pick is really enough to tip the scales for the Knicks. What would you be offering?
    Eddy Curry
    Galinari
    Chandler
    Douglas
    1st Rounder

    Its pretty questionable if that is a better package than the Favors, AK47 (an expiring contract who actually doesnt suck), and 2 1st rounders that the Nuggets had cold feet on. Plus it completely guts a team that already doesnt have great depth.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    newark, nj
    Posts
    1,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
    I dont think that what would no doubt be a late first round pick is really enough to tip the scales for the Knicks. What would you be offering?
    Eddy Curry
    Galinari
    Chandler
    Douglas
    1st Rounder

    Its pretty questionable if that is a better package than the Favors, AK47 (an expiring contract who actually doesnt suck), and 2 1st rounders that the Nuggets had cold feet on. Plus it completely guts a team that already doesnt have great depth.
    The beauty of the situation is that he wants to be knick and the knicks will probably be the only team he would sign an extension with. Melo already refused an extension with the nets because he wants to be a knick and he is going to force denver to trade him to the knicks for whatever package the knicks are putting together or risk losing him for nothing ala LBJ. I just hope to god it works and Paul joins them next year.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,921
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jr420x View Post
    The beauty of the situation is that he wants to be knick and the knicks will probably be the only team he would sign an extension with. Melo already refused an extension with the nets because he wants to be a knick and he is going to force denver to trade him to the knicks for whatever package the knicks are putting together or risk losing him for nothing ala LBJ. I just hope to god it works and Paul joins them next year.
    Melo did not turn down an extension with the Nets the Nuggets backed out.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    newark, nj
    Posts
    1,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    Melo did not turn down an extension with the Nets the Nuggets backed out.
    He wouldnt of signed it anyways trust me. He wants to go to new york.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,921
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jr420x View Post
    He wouldnt of signed it anyways trust me. He wants to go to new york.
    He would fit right in another guy who can't play defense.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    newark, nj
    Posts
    1,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    He would fit right in another guy who can't play defense.
    Hey atleast theyll take us to the playoffs. Its now been a good 10yrs that weve absolutely sucked so i would be more then greatful for his services.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    newark, nj
    Posts
    1,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sources: Melo Deal Could Go Down As Early As Tonight To Knicks at Knicks VisionWith Melo to Nets rumors now out the door, the Knicks are apparently stepping in and taking their spot, according to a media source. On the outside, Walsh has been portraying a “we don’t need him” type of attitude, but apparently, on the inside, he’s been trying to get the three time All-Star to New York as soon as possible....

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    newark, nj
    Posts
    1,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    With Melo to Nets rumors now out the door, the Knicks are apparently stepping in and taking their spot, according to a media source.

    On the outside, Walsh has been portraying a “we don’t need him” type of attitude, but apparently, on the inside, he’s been trying to get the three time All-Star to New York as soon as possible.

    The source did not indicate who the Knicks would deal. It seems probable that Eddy Curry’s contract, Gallinari and/or Randolph would likely be involved in the trade.

    Last weekend though, it seemed like the Nets were the sure favorite in the deal. It even looked like Anthony would sign off on the team too, but the Nuggets backed down and nothing would inevitably happen. While the Nuggets/Knicks deal may not happen tonight, the Knicks are certainly the front-runner with last weekend’s event’s are out the door.

    During the Denver press conference on Monday of this week, Melo indicated that he was happy being in Denver.

    ”At the end of the season, I’ll sit down with my team, sit down with the Nuggets, we’ll discuss it and go from there,” the Brooklyn born Nugget said on media day.

    When all is said and done, though, it appears that the Knicks may get the last laugh.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jr420x View Post
    He wouldnt of signed it anyways trust me. He wants to go to new york.
    What sources do you have here that should be trusted and why would the Nuggets ever, ever, want to do a favor for a guy who is pissing on their franchise. The 76'ers and GSW both had deals that didnt hinge on Melo resigning. The only way the Knicks get Melo is if they overpay, since the Melo for AK47/Favors/2 1sts that Denver pulled out of was a borderline overpay, and they have to beat it.

    I love New York since I'm from here but seriously, very few pro athletes ever WANT to come to NY, with its overwhelming media pressure, cold weather, and bitter fans.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,585
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
    What sources do you have here that should be trusted and why would the Nuggets ever, ever, want to do a favor for a guy who is pissing on their franchise. The 76'ers and GSW both had deals that didnt hinge on Melo resigning. The only way the Knicks get Melo is if they overpay, since the Melo for AK47/Favors/2 1sts that Denver pulled out of was a borderline overpay, and they have to beat it.

    I love New York since I'm from here but seriously, very few pro athletes ever WANT to come to NY, with its overwhelming media pressure, cold weather, and bitter fans.
    No disrespect intended, but that's not accurate. A few big names (honestly I can't even think of any except Griffey Jr. and MJ, but that's because they hated the NY teams, not because of NY) doesn't speak for everyone.

    NY is the place to be, and every big time athelete aspiring to be something in this world knows it. And if they don't, their agents make sure they know it by the end of the day.

    Lebron is the ****tard exception to the rule.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
    I dont think that what would no doubt be a late first round pick is really enough to tip the scales for the Knicks. What would you be offering?
    Eddy Curry
    Galinari
    Chandler
    Douglas
    1st Rounder

    Its pretty questionable if that is a better package than the Favors, AK47 (an expiring contract who actually doesnt suck), and 2 1st rounders that the Nuggets had cold feet on. Plus it completely guts a team that already doesnt have great depth.
    The Nuggets turned down the 4 team deal that would have sent Carmelo to the Nets bacause they would have been stuck with an additional $9 million in payroll next season.

    If I'm Walsh here's the deal I offer Denver and it's take it or leave it: Randolph, Gallo and Douglas for Carmelo. The Nuggets get 2 very talented young wingmen who they can rebuild with plus they also get Douglas who I think is a very underrated combo guard prospect. Those are 3 pieces you can rebuild with while saving millions in payroll.

    Then I'd offer Curry's expiring contract and a pick straight up to New Orleans for Okafor.

    PG: Felton
    SG: Chandler
    SF: Carmelo
    PF: Stoudemire
    C: Okafor

    That's a 50+ win team that can compete for a title. Do we miss out on getting Paul? Yes but let's be realistic here: getting both Melo and Paul is tricky as hell and probably a pipe dream. Both of them want to be Knicks but the Knicks don't have enough trade bait to satisfy Denver and NO's GMs.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    No disrespect intended, but that's not accurate. A few big names (honestly I can't even think of any except Griffey Jr. and MJ, but that's because they hated the NY teams, not because of NY) doesn't speak for everyone.

    NY is the place to be, and every big time athelete aspiring to be something in this world knows it. And if they don't, their agents make sure they know it by the end of the day.

    Lebron is the ****tard exception to the rule.
    +1

    Both Carmelo and Chris Paul have made it obvious they want to come to NY. Unlike Lebron, Paul has expressly said in public he wants to form a trio with him, Melo and Stoudemire in NY.

    Lebron decided 2 years ago he was going to Miami when he played with Wade and Bosh in the Olympics. Nobody had a chance. Not Chicago, Houston, Cleveland etc. He picked Miami over NY because 1) he had a chance to play with 2 superstars instead of 1 and 2) it's Miami.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    +1

    Both Carmelo and Chris Paul have made it obvious they want to come to NY. Unlike Lebron, Paul has expressly said in public he wants to form a trio with him, Melo and Stoudemire in NY.

    Lebron decided 2 years ago he was going to Miami when he played with Wade and Bosh in the Olympics. Nobody had a chance. Not Chicago, Houston, Cleveland etc. He picked Miami over NY because 1) he had a chance to play with 2 superstars instead of 1 and 2) it's Miami.
    I would say that they are the exceptions to the rule. Also Melo and wife are both born in NY and your relying on a wedding toast for CP3.

    Looking outside of basketball, Roy Oswalt, Tim Hudson, Roy Halladay, Mark Buerhle, and Bronson Arroyo have all refused to go to NY. The Rangers, Mets, Knicks, and Nets have to overpay for almost every acquisition they make (and that includes Amare) because players dont want to deal with the media and the ineptitude. Players like to go NY teams like the Jets or Yankees because they are well run. So they go to good organizations and not bad ones.

    This is in addition to the famous cases that you mentioned of MJ and Griffey. To turn it on its head: why dont you name some players that have taken a discount or specifically sought out NY in recent years?
    -------------------------------------------------------
    The Nuggets turned down the 4 team deal that would have sent Carmelo to the Nets bacause they would have been stuck with an additional $9 million in payroll next season.

    If I'm Walsh here's the deal I offer Denver and it's take it or leave it: Randolph, Gallo and Douglas for Carmelo. The Nuggets get 2 very talented young wingmen who they can rebuild with plus they also get Douglas who I think is a very underrated combo guard prospect. Those are 3 pieces you can rebuild with while saving millions in payroll.
    Then Denver leaves it. Plus that scenario assumes that you havent signed Melo to an extension before making the trade, which I believe (though am not positive) means that he will lose 20mill$ over the course of a contract.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    No disrespect intended, but that's not accurate. A few big names (honestly I can't even think of any except Griffey Jr. and MJ, but that's because they hated the NY teams, not because of NY) doesn't speak for everyone.

    NY is the place to be, and every big time athelete aspiring to be something in this world knows it. And if they don't, their agents make sure they know it by the end of the day.
    This would be more believable if you ever heard people from outside of New York talk of it that way. Population dynamics have been going against the Northeast for awhile now.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
    I would say that they are the exceptions to the rule. Also Melo and wife are both born in NY and your relying on a wedding toast for CP3.

    Looking outside of basketball, Roy Oswalt, Tim Hudson, Roy Halladay, Mark Buerhle, and Bronson Arroyo have all refused to go to NY. The Rangers, Mets, Knicks, and Nets have to overpay for almost every acquisition they make (and that includes Amare) because players dont want to deal with the media and the ineptitude. Players like to go NY teams like the Jets or Yankees because they are well run. So they go to good organizations and not bad ones.

    This is in addition to the famous cases that you mentioned of MJ and Griffey. To turn it on its head: why dont you name some players that have taken a discount or specifically sought out NY in recent years?
    -------------------------------------------------------


    Then Denver leaves it. Plus that scenario assumes that you havent signed Melo to an extension before making the trade, which I believe (though am not positive) means that he will lose 20mill$ over the course of a contract.
    1) For all the examples you mention I can give you plenty of superstars who did want to go to NY or at least play in the NY-area: Arod, CC Sabathia, Roger Clemens, Mike Mussina, Mark Texiera, Mark Messier, Wayne Gretzky, Gary Sheffield, Jason Kidd, Johan Santana, Mike Piazza, Ladainian Tomlinson, Jason Taylor, Curtis Martin, Ronnie Lott, Eli Manning (forced SD to trade his rights to NY), Allan Houston and, ofcourse, Amare Stoudemire. Pat Riley was not a superstar player but he was a superstar coach who signed to coach a Knicks team that went 39-43 the previous season.

    2) Carmelo already turned down the $65 million extension from Denver so your point about him losing money doesn't really hold water.

    3) I'm not the one who mentioned MJ and Griffey and besides - when was either one of them coming here? MJ was a Bull his entire career until years after his second retirement - he wasn't leaving Chicago to play for another team. I suppose the Yankees had a shot at Griffey but they probably figured they didn't need him and would be better served spending their money on pitching and depth.

    4) The Nuggets already rejected the deal from the Nets b/c it would have given them an additional $9 mil in payroll next season. Chicago probably has to offer Joakim Noah in order to get Melo and they are probably not willing to do that. The rest of the NBA is at or over the cap. The list of possible trading partners for Denver is shrinking.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 10-01-2010 at 04:36 PM.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    No disrespect intended, but that's not accurate. A few big names (honestly I can't even think of any except Griffey Jr. and MJ, but that's because they hated the NY teams, not because of NY) doesn't speak for everyone.

    NY is the place to be, and every big time athelete aspiring to be something in this world knows it. And if they don't, their agents make sure they know it by the end of the day.

    Lebron is the ****tard exception to the rule.
    LeFraud is already exposing himself to be an idiot poseur. Amazing athlete and player who lacks the class and heart of a Jordan, Duncan or Bird.

    Now he's saying we're all picking on him because he's black. Guess what Lebron? If you were a white guy who said FU to your home state and decided to play Robin to Wade's Batman we'd still hate you.

    As for the whole "nobody wants to go to NY" argument it's been debunked. Superstars in all the sports have come here. Are there some superstars who are afraid to come here? Sure. But there are others who unlike LeB*tch have the bawls to play here.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,292
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is some of the biggest revisionist history I have ever seen, and I am aware this is on a message board. Lets divide them into categories

    1) Flat out False - Jason Kidd was traded to NJ, wanted to sign with San Antonio (who didnt want him), forced his way out of the NY area, and badmouths the area at every opportunity. Eli Manning wanted to leave the Ryan Leaf badness and potential Brees QB controversy behind him and held out in an enormously dick move. The Chargers needed a young QB to build around, which limited their potential trading partners to a whopping 2, NYG and Pitt.
    Check this board circa five months ago on whether people thought that JT 'wanted' to go to NY. The best you can say is he wanted to play for Rex Ryan, which is not the same thing. I think its fair to say that LT wanted to stay with San Deigo and got forced out.

    2) Traded to NY, did not arrive on own volition - Mike Piazza, Johan Santana, ARod, Clemens, Curtis Martin,

    3) Attracted to NY by NY teams overpaying - Sabathia, Mussina, Texeira, Stoudemire

    4) Lebron James was 8 years old when these happened - Mark Messier, Wayne Gretzky, Ronnie Lott

    5) Semi Legitimate - Allan Houston came to the Knicks, but then only stayed with them because of a bat**** insane max contract extension offered in 2001.

    6) Legitimate - Gary Sheffield turned down a comparable offer to go to the Yankees.

    So uhh thats one. If players wanted to go to the 9 NY area teams than 5 of them wouldnt perennially suck and more than 3 of them would be good.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    LeFraud is already exposing himself to be an idiot poseur. Amazing athlete and player who lacks the class and heart of a Jordan, Duncan or Bird.

    Now he's saying we're all picking on him because he's black. Guess what Lebron? If you were a white guy who said FU to your home state and decided to play Robin to Wade's Batman we'd still hate you.

    As for the whole "nobody wants to go to NY" argument it's been debunked. Superstars in all the sports have come here. Are there some superstars who are afraid to come here? Sure. But there are others who unlike LeB*tch have the bawls to play here.
    Oh good, a few have the balls to play here. Thats a ringing endorsement for the city of New York. They come to NY teams when they are good and dont when they suck. Plus your using a pretty bad argument to say that anybody argues that "nobody wants to go to NY". The words were very few athletes WANT to come here. Like on their own. Like without getting traded here. Like without having to get signed to a contract that vastly overpays. What you showed was that players dont quit playing sports instead of getting traded to NY, and that players view a 10 million$ incentive as solid reason to play in NY. Watching Knicks fans repeat the same tired mantra the last ten years is funny.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    between melo, paul and lebron signings the knicks should win a title any day now....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us