Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The OFFICIAL "First Quarter of Season" Chat Thread

JetsInsider.com Legend

The OFFICIAL "First Quarter of Season" Chat Thread

Have at it folks. One quarter of the year down, second quarter coming up.

--3-1, with our lone loss by 1 point to the 3-1 Ravens.

--3-0 in the AFCE

--Revis, Pace and Holmes return imminent

--Sanchez many TD's, no Turnovers.

--LT running like old, O-line looks great, Greene starting to get his grooze perhaps....

--Keller having career year start.

--Defense a bit sketchy, a step back from 2009 thus far, especially on Pass Coverage, but more than enough to win games, without two of it's best players.

--On the downside, Jenkins gone again. And......um.........anythign else?

In my view, we as Jets Fans have a TON to be pleased about after the first 1/4 of 2010 comes to an end. This was (perhaps) the hardest 4-game-portion of our 2010 season, and we came through it, and all the other stuff (holdout, Hard Knocks, Revis injury, Pace Injuryt, Holmes Supsension, Drunk Edwards, etc) with shining colors.

I see little cause for unhappyness or pessimism, based purely on Games 1, 2, 3, and 4. D needs to step up some, but lets see how it works with Pace and Revis back before we worry. O looks a million miles better than 2009.

Bring on Quarter #2.

All League
    Aside from tightening up the Pass D by getting Revis back and getting WIlson away from single outside coverage, I think they're right where they need to be.

5-1 at the bye....

Jets Insider VIP
    Further proof that preseason means squat.

Offense was horrible in preseason, and been red hot the past 3 weeks.

All League
    Next 4: Vikes, Broncos, Packers, Lions
    4 very tough teams, even the Lions of late.

One game at a time fellas, one game at a time.

Who wouldn't have signed up for 3-1 at the first quarter? I had the Jets at 2-2 before Minny, and at least one of those losses would have been a division loss. To have the only loss be a non-divisional one-pointer to the Ravens is a solid accomplishment, especially when you play that game back through your head and realize how many different ways the Jets could have won it.

This is a team that prides itself on defense, and has won three in a row without its best players at each level. Two of those players should come back next week. When you factor in that the offense has put up an average of 32 ppg in the last three weeks (without Santonio!), we have every reason to be confident as fans.

Plus, no one can say that luck has had anything to do with the Jets' wins thus far. These have been undeniable wins, nothing like the last two down the stretch of the regular season or the SD game where the Green run was the only offensive output. This is a team that now requires a pretty extensive game plan to beat - that's a great thing.

[QUOTE=tedtedthefootballhead;3763564]Next 4: Vikes, Broncos, Packers, Lions
    4 very tough teams, even the Lions of late.

One game at a time fellas, one game at a time.[/QUOTE]

if you qualify all four as very tough teams, then any team is a tough team. And it is the NFL, so no game should be taken lightly. But, being realistic, the first quarter was much tougher on paper than Q2. But paper means nothing.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3763561]Further proof that preseason means squat.

Offense was horrible in preseason, and been red hot the past 3 weeks.[/QUOTE]

:yes::yes:

[QUOTE=Warfish]I see little cause for unhappyness or pessimism...[/QUOTE]

Fish...perhaps this will help...

[IMG]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8F4QY7OkzeFprQ7tDmuC93yq59CcdyqwwzGMaY3CZumSD94w&t=1&usg=__YVg3boTAy33IXqbEuUi4LyLi_to=[/IMG]

[QUOTE=Warfish;3763520]Have at it folks. One quarter of the year down, second quarter coming up.

--3-1, with our lone loss by 1 point to the 3-1 Ravens.

--3-0 in the AFCE

--Revis, Pace and Holmes return imminent

--Sanchez many TD's, no Turnovers.

--LT running like old, O-line looks great, Greene starting to get his grooze perhaps....

--Keller having career year start.

--Defense a bit sketchy, a step back from 2009 thus far, especially on Pass Coverage, but more than enough to win games, without two of it's best players.

--On the downside, Jenkins gone again. And......um.........anythign else?

In my view, we as Jets Fans have a TON to be pleased about after the first 1/4 of 2010 comes to an end. This was (perhaps) the hardest 4-game-portion of our 2010 season, and we came through it, and all the other stuff (holdout, Hard Knocks, Revis injury, Pace Injuryt, Holmes Supsension, Drunk Edwards, etc) with shining colors.

I see little cause for unhappyness or pessimism, based purely on Games 1, 2, 3, and 4. D needs to step up some, but lets see how it works with Pace and Revis back before we worry. O looks a million miles better than 2009.

Bring on Quarter #2.[/QUOTE]

There is ZERO cause for pessimism. Anyone who still hangs onto those feelings just has the Negative Nancy persona.

The only other Jets team that I really felt would go out and win every game was the 98 Jets, toward mid to late season. Every time the ball kicked off, I felt the team would win. That's how i am feeling now.

3rd down pass defense was really the only big flaw this team showed through the first 4 games. Chalk that up to no Revis plus players getting comfortable in the scheme.

To that end, kudos to Drew Coleman, he stepped into a big role and shut it down today. :yes:

Getting healthy now... time for Act 2.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

We were 2-4 versus the AFC East last season. We should end up no worse than 5-1 this season, which would put us in pretty good position to win the division.

Here's a negative stat: 6 passing TD's allowed through 4 games this season, only allowed 8 passing TD's for the entire 16 game season in 2009. A big reason is not having Revis of course, but our safeties are pretty poor in coverage as well.

Plus you gotta love a 2-0 start on the road ... both against the AFCE.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3763586]We were 2-4 versus the AFC East last season. We should end up no worse than 5-1 this season, which would put us in pretty good position to win the division.

Here's a negative stat: 6 passing TD's allowed through 4 games this season, only allowed 8 passing TD's for the entire 16 game season in 2009. A big reason is not having Revis of course, but our safeties are pretty poor in coverage as well.[/QUOTE]

I would just hate to assume that we'll split with NE and Mia the rest of the way (win one, lose to other). Actually, I like how the Jets play at Buff more than when it's at home. All i know is that we're at worst 3-3 in the division, but 5-1 is a big leap at this point.

I thought the Jets would be 2-4 through their first 6. I guess I must have been thinking of the Same Old Jets?:rolleyes:

Certainly not my best moment in predicting a win/loss record.

All things considered, I do not know how anyone couldn't be happy. We're beating the teams we are supposed to beat and almost beat the Ravens also. I think the Jets are a better team than the Ravens and I think if we meet them in the playoffs, we'll show that we are much better than we were in week 1.

How you can go 3-1 with your 3 best defensive players out and another great WR out, is beyond me. This just proves Rex can coach with anyone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Considering the personnel issues and the first four opponents, I have to say I am duly impressed with not only the record, but with the performance of guys like LT and Cromartie, neither of which I was initially sold on. I was pretty confident Sanchez would be playing at a Pro-Bowl level, but even he has exceeded expectations for me.

Little disappointed with the play of the pass defense. Presumably it is because Revis is absent, but if that's the case he is even better than we thought because before today the Jets were ranked 26th in pass defense after finishing #1 last season!

Overall, great start to a great season!:cool:

[QUOTE=Mainejet;3763603]I thought the Jets would be 2-4 through their first 6. I guess I must have been thinking of the Same Old Jets?:rolleyes:

Certainly not my best moment in predicting a win/loss record.

All things considered, I do not know how anyone couldn't be happy. We're beating the teams we are supposed to beat and almost beat the Ravens also. I think the Jets are a better team than the Ravens and I think if we meet them in the playoffs, we'll show that we are much better than we were in week 1.

How you can go 3-1 with your 3 best defensive players out and another great WR out, is beyond me. This just proves Rex can coach with anyone.[/QUOTE]

actually we weren't supposed to beat NE or Mia, at least according to the lines i bet on.

okay, i'll say it. this team should be 4-0. they still have trouble putting up points after gifts. today was at least the second game where they got the ball on a turnover in the red zone and then couldn't get a touchdown. this falls squarely on sch$tty. the play of sanchez, keller, tomlinson, edwards, the oline et al are the guys who are making this happen not sch$tty's lame azz play calling. and sch$tty's paly calling already cost the jets a game.

obviously 3-1 is excellent considering the 3 wins are all in the division. the next 4? largely the nfc group. they should easily go 2-2 and maybe 3-1 again. i'll take 6-2 or even 5-3 at the season midpoint.

[QUOTE=sameoldjets;3763732]okay, i'll say it. this team should be 4-0. they still have trouble putting up points after gifts. today was at least the second game where they got the ball on a turnover in the red zone and then couldn't get a touchdown. this falls squarely on sch$tty. the play of sanchez, keller, tomlinson, edwards, the oline et al are the guys who are making this happen not sch$tty's lame azz play calling. and sch$tty's paly calling already cost the jets a game.

obviously 3-1 is excellent considering the 3 wins are all in the division. the next 4? largely the nfc group. they should easily go 2-2 and maybe 3-1 again. i'll take 6-2 or even 5-3 at the season midpoint.[/QUOTE]

6-2 would be sweet! Who would we lose to then? :eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3763586]We were 2-4 versus the AFC East last season. We should end up no worse than 5-1 this season, which would put us in pretty good position to win the division.

Here's a negative stat: 6 passing TD's allowed through 4 games this season, only allowed 8 passing TD's for the entire 16 game season in 2009. A big reason is not having Revis of course, but our safeties are pretty poor in coverage as well.[/QUOTE]
    You think having 3 new players in the pass defense also may have something to do with it?? Plus like you said without Revis we are only a 8-8 team..:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Warfish iz Happyz?

Its a Trap.

Veteran
    I am as confident as one, realistically, can be when I say this Jet team is headed for another AFCCG. Hopefully, they can win enough games to host it.