Thread: There's only one team in the NFL right now who should worry the Jets

Jets Insider VIP

There's only one team in the NFL right now who should worry the Jets

And that's the Jets. Seriously, this team controls it's own fate, and after 3 straight Divisional wins the Jets have shown they're one of the elite teams in the AFC.

The Jets have a balanced offense that's scored at least 28 points on each team in the Division in three consecutive weeks. :eek: They have a Defense that is extremely tough even though its 3 best players (Revis, Jenkins, Pace) have all been out. :eek: Sanchez is the smartest football player in the League right now at the QB spot (making GREAT decisions) and LT looks like he's 25 years old. Heck, even Jason Taylor is playing like a kid again out there!

[IMG]http://media.nj.com/jets_impact/photo/jason-taylorjpg-f6efaa9f6dd38895_large.jpg[/IMG]

So at this point, what team poses the biggest threat to the Jets? Only the Jets I think.

This team is playing better and better football each week and they'll soon get another weapon (Santonio Holmes), the League's best defender (Revis) and the Jets' best passrusher (Pace) back in the lineup. I could make a strong argument that come next week the Jets will be fielding the most talented team in the NFL. Honestly, look at the starting lineup from top to bottom...it's like a past and present All Star team.

So the challenge is this - It's all in Rex's hands to manage this team, its expectations and its attitude. He has to keep their eye on the ball. I'm hopeful that they've weathered the storm of Hard Knocks, Ines, Braylon's DUI, etc. and that football is now the focus 100% of the time because after watching how many ways this Jets team has to beat its opponents, I'm less concerned with Adrian Peterson, Andre Johnson or Peyton Manning. Continuing to be balanced on offense, unpredictable on defense and minimizing mistakes (we were better with penalties this week and Sanchez has done a stellar job not turning over the ball) means the Jets can play with and beat any team in the NFL....as long as they don't beat themselves.

Go Jets!
    Last edited by jetstream23; 10-04-2010 at 02:54 AM.

Agree, but still think we are vulnerable to an exceptional passing attack. Peyton still scares me. We still can't generate pressure without blitzing (although Pryce showed bursts today), and with a good game from an elite QB I could see us being in big trouble defensively, fully hamstrung Revis or no.

But hey, saying that I am really only scared of a 'good' game from an 'elite' QB is a far cry from the Jets I have known most of my life, where you could substitute 'good' for 'average' and 'elite QB' to 'a QB'.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Astoria;3764378]Agree, but still think we are vulnerable to an exceptional passing attack. Peyton still scares me. We still can't generate pressure without blitzing (although Pryce showed bursts today), and with a good game from an elite QB I could see us being in big trouble defensively, fully hamstrung Revis or no.

But hey, [B]saying that I am really only scared of a 'good' game from an 'elite' QB is a far cry from the Jets I have known most of my life[/B], where you could substitute 'good' for 'average' and 'elite QB' to 'a QB'.[/QUOTE]

True, the Jets had a habit of making pedestrian QBs look like Hall of Famers in the past.

But I think our secondary is really going to show improvement when Revis gets back. There's a huge difference in putting Cromartie on the other team's #1 vs. #2 WR and then being able to take guys like Coleman off the field. Also, having Wilson at the nickel will help him quite a bit. It will take some time to gel a little bit but a secondary of Revis, Cromartie, Leonhard and Pool is a big improvement over last year IMO.

The Team that still concerns(not scares) me are the Colts and Patriots.

Until I read that the Pats are out of the playoffs, they are a threat.

As for the Colts, Peyton Manning......'nuff said.

Yeah, Peyton Manning still scares the **** out of me.

[QUOTE=JB1089;3764397]Yeah, Peyton Manning still scares the **** out of me.[/QUOTE]

agreed:confused:

i tend to agree with that. the jets have the ability on both sides of the ball. i would like them to get more touchdowns when they get the gifted turnover inside the red zone and sch$tty still doesn't call a great football game. obviously the injuries can be a factor and they can't afford to lose many more players.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3764377]And that's the Jets. Seriously, this team controls it's own fate, and after 3 straight Divisional wins the Jets have shown they're one of the elite teams in the AFC.

The Jets have a balanced offense that's scored at least 28 points on each team in the Division in three consecutive weeks. :eek: They have a Defense that is extremely tough even though its 3 best players (Revis, Jenkins, Pace) have all been out. :eek: Sanchez is the smartest football player in the League right now at the QB spot (making GREAT decisions) and LT looks like he's 25 years old. Heck, even Jason Taylor is playing like a kid again out there!

[IMG]http://media.nj.com/jets_impact/photo/jason-taylorjpg-f6efaa9f6dd38895_large.jpg[/IMG]

So at this point, what team poses the biggest threat to the Jets? Only the Jets I think.

This team is playing better and better football each week and they'll soon get another weapon (Santonio Holmes), the League's best defender (Revis) and the Jets' best passrusher (Pace) back in the lineup. I could make a strong argument that come next week the Jets will be fielding the most talented team in the NFL. Honestly, look at the starting lineup from top to bottom...it's like a past and present All Star team.

So the challenge is this - It's all in Rex's hands to manage this team, its expectations and its attitude. He has to keep their eye on the ball. I'm hopeful that they've weathered the storm of Hard Knocks, Ines, Braylon's DUI, etc. and that football is now the focus 100% of the time because after watching how many ways this Jets team has to beat its opponents, I'm less concerned with Adrian Peterson, Andre Johnson or Peyton Manning. Continuing to be balanced on offense, unpredictable on defense and minimizing mistakes (we were better with penalties this week and Sanchez has done a stellar job not turning over the ball) means the Jets can play with and beat any team in the NFL....as long as they don't beat themselves.

Go Jets![/QUOTE]

ThHis was my thinking all week leading up to yesterday..my biggest concern with Buffalo was the New York Jets and how they would handle the game but as you look at other games around the league....

Manning lost to Jax, they are 2-2
    Green Bay struggled with Detroit
    New Orleans has looked shaky
    The Bears who I was worried about playing, basically embarassed themselves on National TV.
    Cincinnati who we play loses to Cleveland..

If we just play our game you are 100% correct, we will be hard to beat

Veteran
    [QUOTE=frankiepapa;3764425]ThHis was my thinking all week leading up to yesterday..my biggest concern with Buffalo was the New York Jets and how they would handle the game but as you look at other games around the league....

Manning lost to Jax, they are 2-2
    Green Bay struggled with Detroit
    New Orleans has looked shaky
    The Bears who I was worried about playing, basically embarrassed themselves on National TV.
    Cincinnati who we play loses to Cleveland..

If we just play our game you are 100% correct, we will be hard to beat[/QUOTE]
    imo, there really isn't any team out right above the jets at this point. of course this past sunday shows that on any given day a good team can lose or struggle to an inferior team. no one would say Jacksonville is as good or better than Indianapolis. but Indy's performance so far has definitely been uncharacteristic.

i think the 2 top dogs in the AFC right now are the Jets and Ravens. Flacco got some mojo yesterday in Pittsburgh that can make that raven's offense pretty dangerous.

i'd say the early line for the AFCC is Ravens at Jets for a week 1 rematch.:)

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Astoria;3764378]Agree, but still think we are vulnerable to an exceptional passing attack. Peyton still scares me. We still can't generate pressure without blitzing (although Pryce showed bursts today), and with a good game from an elite QB I could see us being in big trouble defensively, fully hamstrung Revis or no.

But hey, saying that I am really only scared of a 'good' game from an 'elite' QB is a far cry from the Jets I have known most of my life, where you could substitute 'good' for 'average' and 'elite QB' to 'a QB'.[/QUOTE]

Very true. But we now have an offense (And most importantly a QB) capable going toe to toe in a shootout.

Outside of Peyton, Indy is a very mediocre team now anyway. Our biggest hurdles are going to be Pittburgh and Baltimore.

[QUOTE=Cole;3764430]Very true. But we now have an offense (And most importantly a QB) capable going toe to toe in a shootout.

Outside of Peyton, Indy is a very mediocre team now anyway. Our biggest hurdles are going to be Pittburgh and Baltimore.[/QUOTE]

Pittsburghs defense is VERY GOOD, BUT, the Jets are easily more talented across the board as a football team.
    The Steelers offense is pedestrian compared to the Jets right now.
    Jets can do it ALL
    Run the ball with two studs
    Throw the ball- Holmes coming back
    Stop the run
    Stopping the pass is the only problem Jets have had and soon they will get back the BEST CORNER in the league & their own best pass rusher.
    So I think the pass defense will get better each week when Revis & Pace get acclimated back into the lineup.
    Grabbing Pryce was just so lucky it's unbelievable! We just added a guy to our defensive rotation that knows how to play in Ryans system & his forte is pass rushing!
    Pryce might be old but it's the constant pressure the Jets put on an offense for 60 minutes that changes games.
    This guy has the same juice coming into the 4th quarter than he has in the 1st quarter because how Rex uses these guys.

But, the coup de gras is Sanchez & the offense. You BETTER score when you get your chances because the last thing you want now is to let the Jets offense get into a rhythm.

[QUOTE=Cole;3764430]Very true. But we now have an offense (And most importantly a QB) capable going toe to toe in a shootout.

Outside of Peyton, Indy is a very mediocre team now anyway. Our biggest hurdles are going to be Pittburgh and Baltimore.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Think about it this way, Pittsburgh has been close to the best team in football despite not having their QB who is one of the top 5 in the league easily. They have basically been us from the end of last year (great D, good running, no QB) and they are now getting someone more battle tested and experienced than Sanchez.

I don't think they have as many weapons as we do, but they are, to me, the top team right now. It's close between the Jets, Steelers and Ravens in my mind for the best team in football at this point, with a nod to Pittsburgh because their defense is just playing at an incredibly high level right now.

[QUOTE=rick34125;3764429]imo, there really isn't any team out right above the jets at this point. of course this past sunday shows that on any given day a good team can lose or struggle to an inferior team. no one would say Jacksonville is as good or better than Indianapolis. but Indy's performance so far has definitely been uncharacteristic.

i think the 2 top dogs in the AFC right now are the Jets and Ravens. Flacco got some mojo yesterday in Pittsburgh that can make that raven's offense pretty dangerous.

i'd say the early line for the AFCC is Ravens at Jets for a week 1 rematch.:)[/QUOTE]

Pitt with big ben back will be a strong team too, I wouldn't count them out. I think we play them in Dec at Pitt if I remember correctly.

The Steelers are still a better team right now, and Peyton scares me because he can still rip our defense apart. Pittsburgh's offense will be so much better once their scumbag QB gets rolling.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... a national unbiased rating in the afc would probably read ...

1. pitt

2. balt

3. nyj

... houston, the colts & the winner of tonights game (particularly if that's n.e. will probably get some love as well ) ...

... a agree though if sanchez can keep growing, the returning guys get into the flow, and we can avoid any more big injuries we have as good of a chance as anybody! :rockon: ...

l_j_r