Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schotty debate

Schotty debate

I'm one of the people that thinks that Schotty gets far too much blame when things go wrong. I also think he still makes some bizarre play calls, but overall things have been going well.

One thing I have noticed in his favor. The number of plays the Jets have had over the last few weeks where one (or more!) players are wide open on the field. I've never seen so many plays where guys get open like that downfield and in the endzone.

That is as telling as everything else he does. Yes, he has his tendencies, he doesn't seem to let the RBs get into a rhythm sometimes, and he often goes into shotgun on 3rd and short (a big pet peeve of mine). But, the offense is clicking and he deserves some credit for that.

Schotty has done a good job, Tanny has givin him the players, and Rex has givin him the vision and Schotty has become a top coordinator.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3764596]
    One thing I have noticed in his favor. The number of plays the Jets have had over the last few weeks where one (or more!) players are wide open on the field. I've never seen so many plays where guys get open like that downfield and in the endzone.
    [/QUOTE]

On Kellerís TDís it seemed we had every TE wide open in the EZ. It might have also been the case on the 3rd and goal play in the 1st where Sanchez threw it away above Keller. I remember a shot of Hartsock saying WLF?

My first thought was "oh no, not another schotty thread", but let me interject this thought...i really think sanchez needs schotty!! The more you hear the post game interviews from sanchez, the more i think he needs schott and the more schott has helped him progress!! I know some of the play calls make us scratch our heads but if we lose him and sanchez needs to then start in a whole new system, this could hinder his development.

All Pro
    Schotty has been solid, but the Bills were also just completely incompetent.

[QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3764622]On Kellerís TDís it seemed we had every TE wide open in the EZ. It might have also been the case on the 3rd and goal play in the 1st where Sanchez threw it away above Keller. I remember a shot of Hartsock saying WLF?[/QUOTE]

Hartsock was WIDE OPEN on that play
    I'll give Mark a pass, he's still learning but I don't know how he didn't see him, must have had tunnel vision on Keller.

As long as the offense does well I dont think there is much to complain about even if he does some wacky things. The bottom line is results and right now the team is producing. Ill admit his playcalling by the goal off that fumble was a bit weird, but that directive may have also come from the coach to make sure they got points on the board. I thought the wisest thing they did yesterday was to simply avoid Byrd in the middle. He gave Sanchez fits in the first game last year and is the only good player on the Bills defense especially with the corner ruled out. So they just never used that part of the field. Watching the game the playcalls were basically run, run, run, deep sideline in 1 on 1 coverage, run, run, short 3 step pass, run, deep sideline in 1 on 1 coverage. I thought that worked extremely well even if Sanchez' stat line was kind of poor because of it.

I still think some of his philosophy is wacky, but he's done a good job of opening up the offense and I have to give credit where it is due. The real barometer should come late in the season against the Steelers w/ that ridiculous defense.

I have been anti-schotty because of his play calling. I have to give him credit for the past few weeks, although I would think most people would do well against the Bills. However, I still question his play calling at times. I think it was last week against the Dolphins when we had the lead with like four minutes left and he was still passing the ball, even though we should have run the ball to run out the clock.

he still has weird tendencies, like taking Greene out immediately after he gets a big gain, or going to the Wildcat on 3rd and goal (it worked, but still hated the call), shotgun on short yardage situations, etc.

that being said, this is the best i've seen the Jets offense play in a LONG time, and after scaling things back after the Week 1 debacle, Sanchez seems to be in complete control out there.

so yeah, keep it up :)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Austin;3764627]Schotty has been solid, but the Bills were also just completely incompetent.[/QUOTE]

I'm generally a Shotty supporter, but yesterday's game does nothing really to change my opinion of him. For the most part, when the plays work, the Coordinator looks great, when they don't, he looks bad. I guess that's how it should be, but its probably best to avoid the highs and lows.

He has some quizzical play calls at times, but that's probably the same for every Coordinator out there, if you micro-analyze the play calling. What I like about Shotty is that he is good at devising mismatches, whether its Keller 1 on 1 on a safety, LDT out of the backfield or WRs in motion to get them matched up on LBs.

Yesterday, it seemed like he was hell bent on getting LDT in the rhythm of the game at the expense of Greene, at least early on. I would have liked to see Greene get some more carries in a row as he was the one who has started a bit slow....but that's totally nit picking.

After the slow start on opening night, the Offense has looked good and Sanchez looks comfortable. I'll credit Shotty in that regard as he is in charge of that unit. Its only fair as we'll blame him when things go South, which they inevitably will.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3764708]he still has weird tendencies, like taking Greene out immediately after he gets a big gain, or going to the Wildcat on 3rd and goal (it worked, but still hated the call), shotgun on short yardage situations, etc.

that being said, this is the best i've seen the Jets offense play in a LONG time, and after scaling things back after the Week 1 debacle, Sanchez seems to be in complete control out there.

so yeah, keep it up :)[/QUOTE]

co -sign :yes:

My big beef with the whole "Shotty" scenario is people lambasting the guy when a call does not work or is not executed and then patted on the back or no criticism when things are executed and work.

The play calls near the goal line this last game is a classic example. The anti Shotty faction should have been howling with rage about those calls even though they worked if they had any cred in my eyes.

People bellowing about how horrible our OC has been in developing the young QB.

I have no problem not liking the guy or his philosophy even though I may disagree with them. The thing that bugs me is waffling that goes on in this forum.

I definitely still have issues with the play calling. How many times are we going to see the same roll out play near the goal line.

We still need to run from the spread formation more. We've got one of the best OLs in the league, yet we telegraph running plays by bringing the receivers toward the line every play we run. Let's finally put Edwards, Homes, Keller and Cotch out wide and run the ball! We'll break off some huge gainers.

The unsung effectiveness of our running game was the fact that we took early shot down the field. We need to to continue to do this with Holmes joining the lineup.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3764720]My big beef with the whole "Shotty" scenario is people lambasting the guy when a call does not work or is not executed and then patted on the back or no criticism when things are executed and work.

The play calls near the goal line this last game is a classic example. The anti Shotty faction should have been howling with rage about those calls even though they worked if they had any cred in my eyes.

People bellowing about how horrible our OC has been in developing the young QB.

I have no problem not liking the guy or his philosophy even though I may disagree with them. The thing that bugs me is waffling that goes on in this forum.[/QUOTE]

But how do you track the waffling? For every Shotty critic when the team is down, you have a Shotty supporter when the team is doing well....but they don't always overlap. Besides a few guys who I may have been having a discussion/debate with, I really couldn't tell you how the bulk of the individuals on this board feel about a certain situations, or Shotty in particular.

And if you expect for someone to post something negative about a play that worked, well, that ain't happening. In that vein, can you imagine if that 3rd and 16 Wildcat play against Miami didn't work? There would have been calls for his head. But it worked, so everyone was largely silent.

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3764596]I'm one of the people that thinks that Schotty gets far too much blame when things go wrong. I also think he still makes some bizarre play calls, but overall things have been going well.

That is as telling as everything else he does. Yes, he has his tendencies, he doesn't seem to let the RBs get into a rhythm sometimes, and he often goes into shotgun on 3rd and short (a big pet peeve of mine). But, the offense is clicking and he deserves some credit for that.[/QUOTE]

bottom line coordinators overall get WAY too much credit when their offense or defense is playing well and get too much blame when they are playing bad. Norv Turner was praised as this great OC in Dallas but he had Aikman, Novacek, Emmit Smith, Michael Irvin and the best O Line I've ever seen in my life. In washington he had a problem putting up points ... gee i wonder why? He's picked it up in San Diego but Phillip Rivers is easily a top 3 QB in this league. Bottom line fans have this obsession now in this "Madden Era" with play callers .... more often than not if you go around the internet and see fans comments or hear sports radio talk players get less blame than the coaches .... i think thats nonsensical cause the players are the one's on the field ... people get too caught up with the X's and O's thinking they actually know what their talking about making suggestions like "throw the ball to this guy more" like its that freaking simple.... even worse Schotty can call a great play and guess what .... the defense can read it and make a play! ... doesn't mean he's predictable but hey guys on defense have instincts too .... they make plays too! ... it happens ... people are too obsessed with coordinators all around ....i think its starting to get annoying ... fans are trying to sound more educated than what they are ... cause reality is ... none of know about calling plays in the NFL against a NFL D .... we never will ... certain plays look like bone head calls sure but only after you see the result ...

One thing Schotty did yesterday that I think had a huge impact on the game:

By the 2nd quarter, while the game was still close, Sanchez had thrown a few deep balls that were nowhere near being completed. Schotty then called some roll out and short passing plays to get Sanchez back into a rhythm. Result? The deep pass to Braylon that was right on the money, and 21 third quarter points. I like how Schoty recognized that maybe Sanchez was pressing for the deep ball, so he called plays that allowed Sanchez to get some completions and keep the offense flowing.

I don't know how this offense looked so lost in week 1 but thank goodness that appears to be an abberation. The O has been absolutely clicking lately, and that's been without Santonio Holmes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Scotty has finally seemed to learn these last 3 weeks that deep balls are necessary even if they are incomplete. It shows your qb that you have confidence in him and shows the d they cant cheat up all day.

The deep ball back into our offense has been the key.

[QUOTE=JoeyStylez;3764961]One thing Schotty did yesterday that I think had a huge impact on the game:

By the 2nd quarter, while the game was still close, Sanchez had thrown a few deep balls that were nowhere near being completed. [B]Schotty then called some roll out and short passing plays to get Sanchez back into a rhythm[/B]. Result? The deep pass to Braylon that was right on the money, and 21 third quarter points. I like how Schoty recognized that maybe Sanchez was pressing for the deep ball, so he called plays that allowed Sanchez to get some completions and keep the offense flowing.

I don't know how this offense looked so lost in week 1 but thank goodness that appears to be an abberation. The O has been absolutely clicking lately, and that's been without Santonio Holmes.[/QUOTE]

Yes, at one point he was 4-9 then rolled off his next six or so passes...

All League
    I really dislike when we stall inside the Red Zone. Thankfully the Bills just had no answers yesterday.

I love when OC take shots at the end zone right around the 25, 30 yard line. Because at that point in time you are clearly moving the ball. The defense are on there heals. It's really a great time to strike and make a play. He has done that the last 2 games, Keller vs Miami, and Braylon vs the Bills. And I commend him for it.

Recently the deep outs have been working, which is a great mix up to the run game. When those corners creep up because of the run, and then a WR runs them off on a deep out, it is almost uncoverable, because the DB gets turned around. The WRs seem to be running sharper routes which, to me, is so underrated. Especially in a timing based passing game.