Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you see the offense changing with Holmes-Who loses snaps?

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you see the offense changing with Holmes-Who loses snaps?

Obviously, we're all excited about the addition of Holmes to the offense, but I'm curious about how everyone thinks this will effect the offense. I have a couple guesses

1. Cotchery loses a lot of snaps. He already seems to be 3rd on Sanchez's list of targets behind Braylon and DK, and I have a feeling he'll go further down the list now. I think we'll see Cotchery come in to the slot a lot more and become a 3rd down threat almost exclusively.

2. We won't see Keller split out wide as much. With two huge threats on the outside, this should free up more space down the middle of the field for Keller to exploit.

3. Braylon still won't get too many targets a game, but he will remain the primary downfield threat, while Holmes focuses on the mid-range game.

What does everyone else think?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=njherdfan;3764615]Obviously, we're all excited about the addition of Holmes to the offense, but I'm curious about how everyone thinks this will effect the offense. I have a couple guesses

1. Cotchery loses a lot of snaps. He already seems to be 3rd on Sanchez's list of targets behind Braylon and DK, and I have a feeling he'll go further down the list now. I think we'll see Cotchery come in to the slot a lot more and become a 3rd down threat almost exclusively.

2. We won't see Keller split out wide as much. With two huge threats on the outside, this should free up more space down the middle of the field for Keller to exploit.

3. Braylon still won't get too many targets a game, but he will remain the primary downfield threat, while Holmes focuses on the mid-range game.

What does everyone else think?[/QUOTE]

I think Holmes will eventually supplant Edwards as the major downfield threat...he can fly

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cotchery loses the most snaps but the Jets are lucky because he's cool with it.

As good as Santonio is, he's not as good a blocker as Cotchery though so the running game loses a little bit.

Part of the reason that the running game is so damn good is because Braylon and Cotchery are unbelievably good blockers on the outside. Usually you don't get that on the outside.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3764636]Cotchery loses the most snaps but the Jets are lucky because he's cool with it.

As good as Santonio is, he's not as good a blocker as Cotchery though so the running game loses a little bit.

Part of the reason that the running game is so damn good is because Braylon and Cotchery are unbelievably good blockers on the outside. Usually you don't get that on the outside.[/QUOTE]

Braylon is the best blocking WR we've had since Keyshawn.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clowney/Smith will be none-existant in WR roles (for brad that is), Keller won't split out as much too.

I think all 3 (Edwards, Holmes, Cotch) though rotate fairly consistently. each have their own play designs and Cotch just knows this offense too well.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two words, Double Threat!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the FB position will lose snaps. I think you'll see a lot of:

3 WR
    1 TE
    1 RB

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Cotchery, but he can't consistently get open. It's going to be fun to watch Braylon and Santonio on the field at the same time, how do you stop that?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cotch is clearly the guy to lose out the most. I have his numbers up on my site and they are flat out terrible. He is actually the second most targeted receiver in the offense (behind Keller) so Id imagine those throws now go to Holmes and the other two guys participation remains the same. I dont think well see too much change with Edwards and Keller, though I hope this means they wont send Edwards over the middle anymore. His jump catch he always does is why he got his bell rung yesterday and he does that far too often because he doesnt trust his hands to catch the ball. I could see less of Keller split wide, but I think they like him there and if its working I would not change it. My only worry is if they decide to get cute and start sending him in motion. I still dont think Sanchez is comfortable with all the motion that the Jets at times like to run and the scaleback from week 1 to 4 in that regard has helped him out. I dont want that back.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KRL;3764658]I believe the FB position will lose snaps. I think you'll see a lot of:

3 WR
    1 TE
    1 RB[/QUOTE]

To some extent, I think you are right. With 3 potent WRs like the Jets have, its kind of a waste to have 2 FBs and 4 TEs on the roster.

Ideally, all of the WRs will be involved in the Offense at different times. Hopefully its a meritocracy....if you're open, you'll get the ball.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3764660]I like Cotchery, but he can't consistently get open. It's going to be fun to watch Braylon and Santonio on the field at the same time, how do you stop that?[/QUOTE]

ya, i kinda agree with this. There are times when he has touble getting seperation. With that said though, Cotch knows this offense better than anyone else and will still rotate in there quite regularly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3764677]To some extent, I think you are right. With 3 potent WRs like the Jets have, its kind of a waste to have 2 FBs and 4 TEs on the roster.

Ideally, all of the WRs will be involved in the Offense at different times. Hopefully its a meritocracy....if you're open, you'll get the ball.[/QUOTE]

I also agree. I think that what we might see is a consolidation of talent and offensive sets. Rex clearly believes that if you have an advantage you should keep going to that well until the other team shows an ability to stop it. So I think that a lot of the trick plays, counters, and misdirections, will be phased out. I also think that, now that the #1 unit is pretty universally formidable, we wont be seeing as many second team personnel. Unfortunately, I dont really think the Jets will pass more, since Schotty likes the 50/50 run/pass split. However, given how elusive LT looks, the Jets might run more out of passing formations to take advantage of mismatches.

Basically:
    * Smith loses over half of his snaps
    * TRich loses 1/2 of his snaps
    * Fringe offensive players (Clowney/Mulligan/Cumberland) basically lose all of their snaps
    * Edwards (not Cotch) will lose some snaps. Holmes is a burner (harhar) and Cotchis a better 3rd down option due to concentration/balance.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hamburglar;3764717]I also agree. I think that what we might see is a consolidation of talent and offensive sets. Rex clearly believes that if you have an advantage you should keep going to that well until the other team shows an ability to stop it. So I think that a lot of the trick plays, counters, and misdirections, will be phased out. I also think that, now that the #1 unit is pretty universally formidable, we wont be seeing as many second team personnel. Unfortunately, I dont really think the Jets will pass more, since Schotty likes the 50/50 run/pass split. However, given how elusive LT looks, the Jets might run more out of passing formations to take advantage of mismatches.

Basically:
    * Smith loses over half of his snaps
    * TRich loses 1/2 of his snaps
    * Fringe offensive players (Clowney/Mulligan/Cumberland) basically lose all of their snaps
    * Edwards (not Cotch) will lose some snaps. Holmes is a burner (harhar) and Cotchis a better 3rd down option due to concentration/balance.[/QUOTE]

Braylon is our best Reciever. He needs to stay on the field as much as possible. I say cotchery will loose some snaps, but in 3wr sets I want to see holmes move to the slot.

I think Holmes will be slowly worked in as to not completely disrupt the office by forcing it to him.

Holmes will make a pretty good #2 threat, and should open up some things for us, but Braylon has to remain our #1 and should still be demanding the double coverage.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that the FB loses out. I see us running a 3WR, 1TE, 1RB set with LT on passing downs. That could be a good draw formation cuz Keller is a good blocker when he wants to be.

Of the WR's Cotch loses touches and Edwards loses a few deep balls. I keep having a flashback of Santonio on Hard Knocks running some deep crosses and corner routes. I expect at least one pylon touchdown this season.

Holmes/Keller will the top 2 targets.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cotchery and Richardson/Connor are the guys who will lose the most snaps IMO.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Funaz;3764729]
    Holmes will make a pretty good #2 threat, and should open up some things for us, but Braylon has to remain our #1 and should still be demanding the double coverage.[/QUOTE]

Why does Braylon [B]have to be #1?[/B] Let the best man win the spot, a natural competition. Ideally we cycle evenly through them and stay unpredictable. a la nawlins

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=njherdfan;3764615]Obviously, we're all excited about the addition of Holmes to the offense, but I'm curious about how everyone thinks this will effect the offense. I have a couple guesses

What does everyone else think?[/QUOTE]

Addressing a few points from multiple people through out this thread:

1) I agree that Cotchery may lose some snaps overall, but I would not be surprised to see more of a "rotation of WRs", rather than "The Edwards & Holmes show, with occasional guest star Cotchery". Just my gut feeling on this one - there is a lot of love on the coaching staff and team for J-Co, as there should be.

2.) I will hate it if they stop putting Keller wide because of the return of Holmes. As he is a total nightmare for opposing Defenses, especially if you have Braylon in close to the line (If you go to NFL.com and see the Gamecast highlights, at the very end, Mooch diagrams 2 of LT's big runs, and on both, Edwards was close to the OLine supply strong blocks).

I can easily see, with the improved communication between Keller and Sanchez, "go-stop" option routes with Keller wide, where both players will know what to do based on who lines up across from Keller:

- If it's a safety or slower player, like Yeremiah Bell in the Miami game, Keller will know to release off the line and "Go" straight down the field.

- If it's a CB or smaller player, Keller will know to do a designated short route, where he can "post up" the smaller player and use his size advantage to maximum effect to give Sanchez a good target for a 1st down.

3.) While we could have the occasional "11" personnel group (1 TE, 1 RB, 3 WRs), the Jets know that LT and Greene do some of their best work from the I-formation with a lead FB. And as the weather gets colder, Rex will emphasize to Schotty that effective run formations should get preference over wacky pass formations. And I don't think Schotty will have a problem with that, because effective running opens up all kinds of play action to Keller and whoever the 2 WRs on the field at the time are.

4.) As a side note to 2.), what a hell of a blocker Braylon Edwards has turned out to be in the run game. And with him supplying at least 1 TD reception and 1 crucial defensive PI call per game, he has just been awesome - gotta laugh at the Browns letting him go like that. I am REALLY hoping Braylon has learned his lesson from the DUI thing, and in turn, the Jets find a way to re-sign him to a 4-6 year contract.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say Clowney loses the most snaps!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KRL;3764658]I believe the FB position will lose snaps. I think you'll see a lot of:

3 WR
    1 TE
    1 RB[/QUOTE]

Not disagreeing, but we are still going to be a run first team. Rex has said that's what he wants, but he knows he needs weapons on the outside to keep teams from the 8 in the box D. That being said I think alot of first and second downs you'll still see 2 WRs TE FB RB. If you look at the 3 WRS, in pairs, and their specific talents you can almost predict how they will be used most. Cotch and BE better blockers, Cotch Holmes better hands, BE Holmes more big play ability. The beauty is they are all good enough that we can switch things up with those looks, eg. pass with Cotch and BE in, run with the "go" WRs.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Funaz;3764729]Braylon is our best Reciever. He needs to stay on the field as much as possible. I say cotchery will loose some snaps, but in 3wr sets I want to see holmes move to the slot.

I think Holmes will be slowly worked in as to not completely disrupt the office by forcing it to him.

Holmes will make a pretty good #2 threat, and should open up some things for us, but Braylon has to remain our #1 and should still be demanding the double coverage.[/QUOTE]

Even with out Santonio, Braylon is not on the field every play, even when they are passing. They shuttle in and out all the time, and that's probably what's going to happen now.

As long as 1 guy doesn't get the shaft for a prolonged period of time, I think they'll be just fine. If Holmes has 100+ yds and a TD one week, I'm sure he'll be OK with having just a few catches the week after, as long as the Offense is rolling.

It would be nice to see Sanchez light up the stat sheet for over 300 yds at some point. But, I guess having 250+ on the ground means that you are dominating, so I'm good with that as well. ;)