Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you see the offense changing with Holmes-Who loses snaps?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    does anyone think that with santonio comming back it helps cotchery out the most? Teams will be game planning more against braylon, keller and holmes, double teams, zones , ect... i would think that would leave cotchery more 1 on 1's to wreak havoc. just my thoughts..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    J-Coch will lose snaps. The FB tandem will not.

Agree that J-Coch may be a better blocker than Holmes, but the running game will suffer far more without a Fullback.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Shahataman;3764743]Why does Braylon [B]have to be #1?[/B] Let the best man win the spot, a natural competition. Ideally we cycle evenly through them and stay unpredictable. a la nawlins[/QUOTE]

I fully expect the best man to win the spot. Braylon. Santonio is a nice player, but really nothing special. He isn't a #1 but he is a good #2. He is a fast shifty dude, who do well in the slot.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=njherdfan;3764615]Obviously, we're all excited about the addition of Holmes to the offense, but I'm curious about how everyone thinks this will effect the offense. I have a couple guesses

1. Cotchery loses a lot of snaps. He already seems to be 3rd on Sanchez's list of targets behind Braylon and DK, and I have a feeling he'll go further down the list now. I think we'll see Cotchery come in to the slot a lot more and become a 3rd down threat almost exclusively.

2. We won't see Keller split out wide as much. With two huge threats on the outside, this should free up more space down the middle of the field for Keller to exploit.

3. Braylon still won't get too many targets a game, but he will remain the primary downfield threat, while Holmes focuses on the mid-range game.

What does everyone else think?[/QUOTE]

I think we'll see a hearty use of sets that look like this:

Edwards-----Cotchery-----O-line--Keller--------Holmes

Edwards------------------O-line--Keller---------Holmes

Cotchery-----------------O-line--Keller----------Homes/Edwards

Trouble we have is we have two good fullbacks, but running 3-wide+TE means 1-RB.

Lets just say we'll have plenty of flexabillity, barring injury.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't this such a great problem to have?

The one thing about cotchery is that he is so good on 3rd down and I think sanchez feels real comfortable going to him on third down. I think he will need to gain a little confidence knowing he can use santonio on the 3rd and 7 and 8's...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nybaseball5;3764783]does anyone think that with santonio comming back it helps cotchery out the most? Teams will be game planning more against braylon, keller and holmes, double teams, zones , ect... i would think that would leave cotchery more 1 on 1's to wreak havoc. just my thoughts..[/QUOTE]

i agree for those exact reasons. it also seems that Sanchez and Cotch aren't on the same page quite yet. i recall a few throws to him that were off when he was open. i'm hoping his numbers will pick up because i'd hate to see him traded if they decide with Holmes and Braylon next year. that's a high risk tandem even though they would be a scary duo.
    Last edited by rayzor; 10-04-2010 at 12:53 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well this is nice to hear...
    [QUOTE]"It could be deadly," Keller said of adding Holmes to the mix. "Itís going to be tough to stop us. Itís tough when you have as many threats in the passing game as we do and then you have the best rushing attack in the NFL. [B]You almost have too many options. Luckily for us we have guys on this team that only care about winning.[/B][/QUOTE]

I just hope they don't over complicate things and try to force anything trying to get everyone involved. Cotchery is obvious to lose the most snaps. But depends on the gameplan, if they want to run it more Cotchery is better at blocking. Sanchez and Edwards are definitely clicking right now. The pump fake and TD yesterday was evidence of that and the 3rd down play in Miami on the last drive. That's just chemistry between those two.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Funaz;3764841]I fully expect the best man to win the spot. Braylon. Santonio is a nice player, but really nothing special. He isn't a #1 but he is a good #2. He is a fast shifty dude, who do well in the slot.[/QUOTE]

He definitely is a fast shifty dude, and the stats would suggest that he is better than Edwards. In his career Holmes has more catches/game, a lower drop %, and more Y/C than Edwards. As a fairly normal sized 5'11 190 he isnt the physical specimen that BE is, but then again Jerry Rice wasnt a physical specimen either. A WR is a WR, and the #1 and #2 dont require different skill sets. I bet you will be very pleasantly surprised by how well Holmes does. He is probably the 3rd best player on the Jets behind Revis/Mangold.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    For as good as Cotch has been the past few years, and I've always been a big fan of his, he is just not having a good year. He wasn't too good last year either. Many of us chalked that up to him playing with a rookie QB. But nobody wants to mention that he just might not be the player he was in 2008.

I think he's the biggest loser with Holmes coming back because I don't see the Jets making any serious schematic changes in the offense, meaning they probably aren't going to use a 3 WR set more now than they have so far.

Having Santonio, Braylon, and Keller out wide with a RB/FB in the backfield will be the bread and butter. Defenses will have to pick their poison -- stop the run or the pass -- and both options are lethal so long as Sanchez keeps doing what he's doing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is going to be so many multiple sets, some with just Cotchery and Braylon on the field, some Braylon and Holmes, and some with Cotchery and Holmes.

They all bring something diffrent to the table and all can help us win. I would love to see Cotchery in the slot, he will be deadly on 3rd downs ala Wayne Chrebet.

Holmes can use his quickness and speed to get down the field, make plays on slants and posts. He will also be very good after the catch.

Braylon's size and speed is so much of a threat it isnt even funny. Regardless of how talented the other two are, neither are as much of a threat as Braylon. He seems to draw a PI atleast once a game on a jump ball. Plus in the Endzone/Redzone his size and jumping ability is huge for this offense, not to mention he is one hell of a run blocker.

Throw in Keller and LT out of the backfield, Sanchez just has to find the open man and this offense will be top 5-7 by the end of the season.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nybaseball5;3764783]does anyone think that with santonio comming back it helps cotchery out the most? Teams will be game planning more against braylon, keller and holmes, double teams, zones , ect... i would think that would leave cotchery more 1 on 1's to wreak havoc. just my thoughts..[/QUOTE]

+1. Cotch should be able to get open easier in the slot. It is also worth noting that it might take Santonio a couple of weeks to get into the flow of the offense. Just imagine what our offense will be like after the bye week. Teams are going to have to pick their poison and decide who they want to cover. Guys like Keller, Cotch and even LT out of the backfield should constantly have favorable match ups. I hope that it gets to the point where our passing game opens the run, the run opens the pass and we can do whatever we want on offense

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Clowney and Patrick Turner were cut

[URL="http://thejetsblog.com/"]http://thejetsblog.com/[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetlifer;3764631]I think Holmes will eventually supplant Edwards as the major downfield threat...he can fly[/QUOTE]

I think they BOTH can fly, actually. They're Jets after all. ;)

[QUOTE=Shahataman;3764743]Why does Braylon [B]have to be #1?[/B] Let the best man win the spot, a natural competition. Ideally we cycle evenly through them and stay unpredictable. a la nawlins[/QUOTE]

Why does Braylon have to be #1, you ask? Because Holmes hasn't proven sh*t yet....

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... forget about the offense ... our defense is going to lose the most snaps!!! ...

... we're going to be having many more extended touchdown drives!!! :yes::cool: ...

l_j_r

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KRL;3764658]I believe the FB position will lose snaps. I think you'll see a lot of:

3 WR
    1 TE
    1 RB[/QUOTE]

only on obvious passing down..cant take threat of play action out of equation...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is an interesting thread, and while many have said this is a good problem to have, I'm not sure that it is. It SHOULD work out perfectly for the Jets, but we have to remember that this team boasts a QB who's still developing and comes with a gunslinger mentality, and we have an OC who prides himself on outsmarting the defense. Is it possible that the inclusion of Holmes complicates matters by having the team try to work him in?

Do the Jets throw more on 1st down now than they have in the past? Will the team end up in more 3rd & long situations due to trying to hard to take advantage of talent mismatches? It's one thing to have a ton of weapons, it's another thing to use them properly. I think Schotty's done a great job of mixing Green & LT, but now he has to manage those two in addition to making sure their biggest downfield threat sees his opportunities.

Again, it should go well, but I wonder about the Jets getting away from what appears to be a working offensive formula at the moment.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cotchery will most certainly go into the slot.
    He would absolutely abuse 3rd corners. Edwards & Holmes speed on the outside will open up the middle of the field for Keller, and for delays and flares to LT.

The best part of this depth is that there is no excuse for the Jets wideouts to play fast for 60 minutes.
    Look what happened to Marshall in Miami. He was gassed at the end of the game. The way we'll play our wideouts, Holmes will still be smoking in the 4th quarter when the defense has lost a step.

The most exciting thing is that Santonio is explosive & elusive in the open field.
    Quick slants could go for 70 yard TDs. Holmes is a big time YAC guy. Look at his completions/yards from 2009.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=njherdfan;3764615]Obviously, we're all excited about the addition of Holmes to the offense, but I'm curious about how everyone thinks this will effect the offense. I have a couple guesses

1. Cotchery loses a lot of snaps. He already seems to be 3rd on Sanchez's list of targets behind Braylon and DK, and I have a feeling he'll go further down the list now. I think we'll see Cotchery come in to the slot a lot more and become a 3rd down threat almost exclusively.

2. We won't see Keller split out wide as much. With two huge threats on the outside, this should free up more space down the middle of the field for Keller to exploit.

3. Braylon still won't get too many targets a game, but he will remain the primary downfield threat, while Holmes focuses on the mid-range game.

What does everyone else think?[/QUOTE]
    holmes may take a few snaps from cotchery, but i think we'll see a lot more 3 wide sets used and edwards might be affected more. some of those deep throws will go holmes' way.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FloridaJetsFan;3764754]I'd say Clowney loses the most snaps![/QUOTE]

Are u serious? Dude.. Clowney lost his job.. got cut

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    One word that cannot be put towards the Jets reciever is "selfish" and that bodes well for us...Cotch will lose touches but he is the ultimate pro and will always make the great 3rd down catch.....Holmes must be frothing at the mouth coming back to this squad.