Thread: Bryan Thomas

Bryan Thomas

Unsung hero. Playing out of his mind right now. Must be a contract year. :D

Anyone else been impressed with his play thus far? He's having a big impact out there in the run game and he's getting really good pressure on the QBs... much more than his 1 sack and 1 FF would suggest.

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    IMO, he has become worthy of his once-thought-too-high draft pick. He's not flashy, but he's steady, durable and reliable.

i'd say he's been our best player on D, or damn close to it.

Jets Insider VIP
    BT, Ellis, JT, LT are all having their best seasons in years. Dunno if they can keep it up, but it's great seeing these guys playing reborn.

[QUOTE=southside;3764740]Unsung hero. Playing out of his mind right now. Must be a contract year. :D[/QUOTE]

I was thinking along the same lines. I wonder if his contract is structured in such a way that this is a significant year contracturally. Is he do some obsence bonus next year if he's on the roster. Is it easier to cut him cap wise next year as opposed to the following year. Whatever the case, the guy is unusually motivated.

Like other veterans(from LT to JT...all the way to Ravens escapee Pryce) I believe BT has bought in...to the Rex persona. And will play his heart out for the Lionhearted One. When Pace, the Jets best pass rusher went down in late preseason, BT really stepped up big to compensate for the loss.

He's always been a talented player. And many of us have felt in some past years his production could've been better. But now...we're seeing vintage BT playing like a Rex Jet...like he oughta be. And I'm soaking it in and enjoying it.

All League
    This is NOT a contract year for BT. He has always been solid as and OLB in the 3-4 but under Rex the past year and a half he has really thrived.

He is probably our best LB in coverage, is always solid against the run, and has been getting pressure on the QB all year so far. Not to mention he has been delivering some big hits and forcing fumbles.

He has been underrated IMO in the past, he is starting to get more credit now that he has taken his game up to another level and thrived under Rex. Look at how he played last year in the playoffs, he was making plays for us left and right.

All League
    [QUOTE=kcb160;3764795]I was thinking along the same lines. [B] I wonder if his contract is structured in such a way that this is a significant year contracturally[/B]. Is he do some obsence bonus next year if he's on the roster. Is it easier to cut him cap wise next year as opposed to the following year. Whatever the case, the guy is unusually motivated.[/QUOTE]

Could be, this is NOT the last year of his contract however.

He has always been a solid player for us and underrated IMO. Since Rex has been here though he has really thrived under him and Pettine, just look at how he played in the playoffs last year, he was making big plays for us consistently and getting good pressure.

I just think having a full year in this defense has benifited him tremendusly. He has to think less and just react, making it even easier for him to make plays.

I remember a time where many jets fans wanted BT to be cut because he was considered a bust.

Those days seem a long time ago, don't they?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=rbstern;3764744]IMO, he has become worthy of his once-thought-too-high draft pick. He's not flashy, but he's steady, durable and reliable.[/QUOTE]

+1 a lesser Shaun Ellis but a player who has proven worthy of playing & starting in this league for 7+ seasons...very impressive...this guy started out VERY slow but patience has paid off for the Jets, he's playing some incredible football right now.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3764745]i'd say he's been our best player on D, or damn close to it.[/QUOTE]

+1 another stud in the making is undrafted NT Mike Devito..this kid..all he does is make plays and kill plays...very impressed with his play..incredible he went undrafted.

[QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3765062]+1 another stud in the making is undrafted NT Mike Devito..this kid..all he does is make plays and kill plays...very impressed with his play..incredible he went undrafted.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. What a great pickup. That kid is unblockable. Everytime I see who it is getting that pressure and cause pileups in the backfield I see #70 in Green and White. His play speaks for itself.

Bryan Thomas is fish food for the people who still believe in Vernon Gholston. I don't think that VG will ever thrive in a 3-4, since there's really no good place for him, but Bryan Thomas is a good barometer for anyone thinks he can mature into a solid, contributing starter.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;3765091]Bryan Thomas is fish food for the people who still believe in Vernon Gholston. I don't think that VG will ever thrive in a 3-4, since there's really no good place for him, but Bryan Thomas is a good barometer for anyone thinks he can mature into a solid, contributing starter.[/QUOTE]

+1 Gholston is interchangable..I hope the Jets keep him around for the right price..hell he plays ST and contributes on D and is a matchup problem...forget his draft slot for a second and he's a player you want on your sqaud.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I cannot believe this is the same player who admittedly dogged it. I don't think I've ever seen a turnaround like this.

My take on BT is that he has been consistent, durable, and reliable since Mangini's first year. A few years he has been more consistently making his plays around the QB, or making more tackles, but that sort of production has mostly been due to scheme/ role and not any sort of laziness or fitness issue. He was drafted by herm to be a pass rusher playing w/ a hand on the line, and that didn't turn out to be the case. But, he has turned out to be as effective as any LB I can think of in the league right now at sealing his edge, giving blockers fits, and all in all contributing to total defense. Pace goes out, he's called on to rush more, and he's effective in that role, too.

By virtue of everyone everywhere finally calling David Harris the most underrated LB in the league, I think BT has taken that mantle.

I think his motivation is wanting to win a Superbowl.

He is basically playing for a new deal. The Jets save 3.7M next year if they release him, so he has to play well to stay here. Given his history Id say ot plays a big role in his effort.

[QUOTE=GreenReaper;3764958]Like other veterans(from LT to JT...all the way to Ravens escapee Pryce) I believe BT has bought in...to the Rex persona. And will play his heart out for the Lionhearted One. When Pace, the Jets best pass rusher went down in late preseason, BT really stepped up big to compensate for the loss.

He's always been a talented player. And many of us have felt in some past years his production could've been better. But now...we're seeing vintage BT playing like a Rex Jet...like he oughta be. And I'm soaking it in and enjoying it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he's earned a lot of people's respect with the impact he's had on the field. I'd say he's proven his worth and his merit in being a 1st rounder, he's been playing like a man possessed, against the run, in coverage etc.

Keep it up, BT