Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MMQB LT quote

Jets Insider VIP
    Images

MMQB LT quote

[QUOTE]"I'm pinching myself,'' Tomlinson said. "I love this team. I love running behind such a great line. It's incredible, really, that I was able to come here.''[/QUOTE]

A rejuvinated, future HOF running back telling a national sportwriter how happy he is to be a Jet. If anybody ever mutters "same old Jets" again, that person should be tarred anf feathered.

Woody, Mike and Rex: [I]Thank you[/I].

Truthfully, SOJ died the day Parcells came here. Even in some of those bad years under Herm, it was never at the next level of being a complete joke.

Rex and co. has taken it to another level. Hopefully we get a super bowl because I'd like Rex to be here for a long, long time.

All League
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3764761]Truthfully, SOJ died the day Parcells came here. Even in some of those bad years under Herm, it was never at the next level of being a complete joke.

Rex and co. has taken it to another level. Hopefully we get a super bowl because I'd like Rex to be here for a long, long time.[/QUOTE]

This is very true...and it's amazing how many people don't realize it. We've been a better than average team over the course of the past 12 years. The goal now is to take the next step -- from respectable to elite.

No one can doubt that the NY Jets are one of the better teams in the league

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;3764785]No one can doubt that the NY Jets are one of the better teams in the league[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.tiricosuave.com/images/martyball.jpg[/IMG]

WARNING:

Our success was brought to us by the brutal offensive showing against the Ravens, where our OC's gameplan was to tell his QB to play not-to-lose.

As soon as Marty goes back to putting Mark in a box, it's all over. We are one of the 'better' teams in the league because our OC has decided to trust his QB to actually win games for us; we can NOT let Marty forget this.

SAR I

[QUOTE=SAR I;3764970][IMG]http://www.tiricosuave.com/images/martyball.jpg[/IMG]

WARNING:

Our success was brought to us by the brutal offensive showing against the Ravens, where our OC's gameplan was to tell his QB to play not-to-lose.

As soon as Marty goes back to putting Mark in a box, it's all over. We are one of the 'better' teams in the league because our OC has decided to trust his QB to actually win games for us; we can NOT let Marty forget this.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

You can't accuse the OC of being too conservative by nature when it was pretty clear last year that he was far too aggressive with Sanchez. Schotty has proven a good willingness to put the ball in the air.

If anything, Rex is the one who wants to run more.

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3764761]Truthfully, SOJ died the day Parcells came here. [B]Even in some of those bad years under Herm[/B], it was never at the next level of being a complete joke.

Rex and co. has taken it to another level. Hopefully we get a super bowl because I'd like Rex to be here for a long, long time.[/QUOTE]

Say what you will about Herm, and I know the way he went to KC left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, but the guy made the playoffs 3 of 5 years that he was here and won a division. The bad years were when he lost his starting QB to injury. Do I want him back? No way. But I think people forget that he wasn't all that bad as a head coach. Also, players loved him as much as they love Rex.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3764976]You can't accuse the OC of being too conservative by nature when it was pretty clear last year that he was far too aggressive with Sanchez. Schotty has proven a good willingness to put the ball in the air.

[/QUOTE]

Schotty lost the AFC Championship Game. When Greene went out with injury and Manning was lighting up the scoreboard, he stuck to the ludicrous Ground 'N Pound and had Thomas Jones take a knee the entire second half. On his best day as a pro, Mark Sanchez was not allowed to fight the fight with Peyton.

Schotty lost the Week 1 Ravens Game. Dumbest gameplan we've ever seen. Run three times and punt. Knowing what we know now, we could have won that game by 14 points if we'd just trusted the talent on the field.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=OBENjet;3764982]Say what you will about Herm, and I know the way he went to KC left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, but the guy made the playoffs 3 of 5 years that he was here and won a division. The bad years were when he lost his starting QB to injury. Do I want him back? No way. But I think people forget that he wasn't all that bad as a head coach. Also, players loved him as much as they love Rex.[/QUOTE]

Oh. My. God.

Herman Edwards was Ritch Kotite. Same guy. Difference was that Kotite was given no talent to work with and Edwards was given a Parcells masterpiece.

Give Ritch Kotite the 2001-2005 Jets and he too would have eeked out a few wildcard showings and a 9-7 three-way-tie "division championship" too. The Jets problem since the beginning of time has been hiring rookie head coaches. Had the Jets brought in a guy like Bill Cowher or Mike Shanahan, we'd have Super Bowl t-shirts in the closet, not the Patriots.

Herman Edwards is the Devil.

SAR I

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=OBENjet;3764982]Say what you will about Herm, and I know the way he went to KC left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, but the guy made the playoffs 3 of 5 years that he was here and won a division. The bad years were when he lost his starting QB to injury. Do I want him back? No way. But I think people forget that he wasn't all that bad as a head coach. Also, players loved him as much as they love Rex.[/QUOTE]

... :eek: ... :eek: ... :eek:

... say what i will ... herm's a nice guy who's a clueless bum on gameday ...

l_j_r

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=gaffneycatch;3764774]This is very true...and it's amazing how many people don't realize it. We've been a better than average team over the course of the past 12 years. The goal now is to take the next step -- from respectable to elite.[/QUOTE]

This is sooo very true; the constant carping feeds on a negative agenda of some that repeats like a mantra that we have had a terrible team forand that the last decade of making the playoffs don't matter. That we are a team no better in fact than say Detroit and to me nothing reflects SOJ fans then their mindless bashing of the team based on this mindless negativism....:rolleyes:

Herm never put his stamp on the team, neither did Mangini. They never gave the Jets an identity. They were always that team that did a bunch of things pretty well but nothing great. I think that's the problem I had with them and the reason why I never fully bought in. Rex has put his stamp on this team. Physical on defense, physical on offense.

For the first time in a good while it actually means something to be a Jet. We are establishing a brand of football that is distinguishable among the NFL and even an all-time great like LT can see what it means to be a Jet in 2010.

[QUOTE=SAR I;3764991]Oh. My. God.

Herman Edwards was Ritch Kotite. Same guy. Difference was that Kotite was given no talent to work with and Edwards was given a Parcells masterpiece.

Give Ritch Kotite the 2001-2005 Jets and he too would have eeked out a few wildcard showings and a 9-7 three-way-tie "division championship" too. The Jets problem since the beginning of time has been hiring rookie head coaches. Had the Jets brought in a guy like Bill Cowher or Mike Shanahan, we'd have Super Bowl t-shirts in the closet, not the Patriots.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Dude...Sorry but if you think Kotite would've done as well as Herm did, you have to remember : It's RICH KOTITE we're talking about here. :eek:

Herm, for all his goofiness and stupidity, has at least SOME semblance of a brain. Rich did not have that luxury...

All Pro
    Here's the key with LT, and with JT as well.

They are older players. No doubt they can be good in Sept/Oct. Do not over use them so they can still be good in Dec/Jan. LT needs to keep getting his 10-12 carries per game. Don't go crazy, even if he is running well. With older players, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=Vin;3765050]Dude...Sorry but if you think Kotite would've done as well as Herm did, you have to remember : It's RICH KOTITE we're talking about here.

Herm, for all his goofiness and stupidity, has at least SOME semblance of a brain. Rich did not have that luxury...[/QUOTE]

Sorry, wrong.

Herman Edwards devised one gameplan for opening day 2001 and did not alter it once until his departure in 2006. For all his reputation for being some 'master motivator', tell me, can you name [I]one [/I]player that played above his abilities under Herman Edwards? One? I can't. The fact that the Jets improved markedly after he and his loyalists were punted out of dodge speaks volumes.

Look at the Jets team of 1998. Look at how well they performed down the stretch of 1999. Look at Al Groh's 7-1 start. Had Bill Parcells stayed then Bill Belichick would have stayed and we would have won at least one measly Super Bowl with that talented team.

[I]That's[/I] the team that Herman Edwards inherited. That's the type of young and mature talent we were left with. He did nothing with it. He's the worst Head Coach in New York Jets history as a result.

SAR I

[QUOTE=SAR I;3764988]Schotty lost the AFC Championship Game. When Greene went out with injury and Manning was lighting up the scoreboard, he stuck to the ludicrous Ground 'N Pound and had Thomas Jones take a knee the entire second half. On his best day as a pro, Mark Sanchez was not allowed to fight the fight with Peyton.

Schotty lost the Week 1 Ravens Game. Dumbest gameplan we've ever seen. Run three times and punt. Knowing what we know now, we could have won that game by 14 points if we'd just trusted the talent on the field.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Agree with your take on Herm / Kotite, but can't agree with this. Have you seen the AFCCG since it was played? I actually felt the same as you did initially, but then I watched it back. The Jets were in that game until the 4th-quarter was almost over - Schotty would have been roasted if he turned Sanchez loose any earlier than then. Mark looked good all game, but other than a good showing against the Bengals in the playoff game, you're talking about a QB who hadn't had a good regular-season game since the Pats in Week 2. Hard to put that on Schotty, when an INT (which Sanchez eventually threw, BTW) would have ended the game much sooner.

Week 1's gameplan was weak, and Schotty's admitted that. But if Braylon doesn't commit two key penalties, the Jets likely win that one anyway. He's a solid OC, and if he wasn't, I doubt LT performs well enough this year to be as happy as he is.

Some people don't like the way Green and Tomlinson are shuffled in and out - I think Schotty's handling the rotation as well as you possibly can when you have a two-headed monster in the backfield. Both backs look fresh all game - that's what you want. Compare what Schotty is doing with LT & Green vs. how Hackett managed Martin and Jordan - it's literally apples and oranges.

Schotty is the epitome of the middle of the road guy - he's infuriating at times, but there are also those times when he's right on the money. That formula is enough for this offense, especially as Sanchez improves and learns to get the Jets out of the bad plays.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3764991]Oh. My. God.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I love you SAR but you are Insane!!!! Do you honestly think that the talent level of the Jets was "elite" when Parcells left!!!!

Some of you act like Parcells left believing that the Jets were a SB headed team he didn't and he wouldn't. The man in the mirror crap notwithstanding Parcells left here thinking the teams best days were behind it. And I am a Parcells booster.

Only delusional Jets fans somehow believed that we were the most talented team in the NFL, built to win it all in 1999 & 2000 & 2001 etc. Yea we were the 1990's Bills are you MAD!!!!:P

Basic question how could we win it all when our QB position was in constant flux? Remember when Herm had to save the season and go against the vertern input by benching Vinnie? How many insane posts were out here then saying Herm couldn't do it becuase he and Vinnie stood next to each other during the National Anthem?

How could we win it all when our QB couldn't stay on the field for an entire season (aka Chad)?

Chad was great IMO but he was not Brady, Manning or even Farve ten years ago, Period!!!! We were never a top ten defense even with Bellichick as our DC and that wasn't because he wasn't trying or because he didn't know defense. No, it was because we didn't have the personnel that we have now!!!

Now we have a talented team!!! The team the Jets had before talent wise was good but not great. Now we have a tremendously talented team and we will see how far we go.

How dare you mention Kotite and any other Jets coach in Jets' history as being the same!!! Are you kidding? Kotite by his own admission was frequently out playing golf instead of coaching the team and Kotite again by his own admission didn't even know the names of the players on his own TEAM!!!

To compare Herm to Kotite just shows you how angry you are at Herm for what you perceive to be his "ruining" of the Jets SB aspirations. Caretaker Herm, as you have called him won significant playoff games while he was HC. Significant Games.

Was Herm as good a HC as REX? IMO, no he was not!!! But to say we had no success over the last decade is a little bit nutty.... Sorry

Herm as the devil come on now… Good Grief!!!!:eek:

Now if you said Herm was a drooling motivator you might have been on to something, but you didn't now did you:D
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 10-04-2010 at 02:27 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3764761]Truthfully, SOJ died the day Parcells came here. Even in some of those bad years under Herm, it was never at the next level of being a complete joke.

+1 the Jets from (1997-Present) have been an above avg. franchise..keep in mind the jets played in the same division as the Patriots during their dynasty and in the same conference as perennial powerhouses Indianpolis & Pittsburgh but still managed to earn 2 division titles & 6 playoff appearences in that span..not to mention only 2 losing seasons in that same span (05 & 07)..this is the golden age of being a jet fan imo

the '10 jets remind me of the '04 red sox..stacked team with a devil may care attitude....dangerous.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=Charlie Brown;3765082]I love you SAR but you are Insane!!!! Do you honestly think that the talent level of the Jets was "elite" when Parcells left!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Yes. In fact, we now know that the talent Parcells left behind was significant.

Herman Edwards is a terrible head coach. Proven 2X by stints in New York and Kansas City. Yet he made the playoffs 3 times in 5 years here.

Proof positive we would have won 5 straight Super Bowls with a competent head coach.

SAR I

All League
    [QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3765086]+1 the Jets from (1997-Present) have been an above avg. franchise..keep in mind the jets played in the same division as the Patriots during their dynasty and in the same conference as perennial powerhouses Indianpolis & Pittsburgh but still managed to earn 2 division titles & 6 playoff appearences in that span..not to mention only 2 losing seasons in that same span (05 & 07)..this is the golden age of being a jet fan imo

the '10 jets remind me of the '04 red sox..stacked team with a devil may care attitude....dangerous.[/QUOTE]

+1 Completly hit the nail on the head!

We have been pretty damn good the past 10-12 years, above average. All that without an elite QB and average to slightly above average talent overall.

That 2004 season we had no business beating San Diego in the Wild Card. We beat them earlier in the year when they were just gelling as a team and were trying to shake a reputation as being one of the leagues worst. At best we were about even talent wise, playing on the road Chad did a hell of a job and we won that game.

Pittsburgh should have killed us in the divisional round, but not only did we hold our own we had a very good chance to win, barring a couple missed FGs. There was no way that team had SB talent as some claim, say we upset the 15-1 Steelers on the road, we go to NE in the AFCCG and while we would of give them a better game then Pittsburgh, we are still losing unless Brady goes down early or something of that nature.

Herm was NOT terrible, he had that team playing smart as one of the least penaltized and turnover prone teams during his tenure with the Jets. He was no Xs and Os mastermind by any means, but Rich Kotite? [B]C'MON MAN![/B]