Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MMQB LT quote

All League
    [QUOTE=fullblast;3765042]Herm never put his stamp on the team, neither did Mangini. They never gave the Jets an identity. They were always that team that did a bunch of things pretty well but nothing great. I think that's the problem I had with them and the reason why I never fully bought in. Rex has put his stamp on this team. Physical on defense, physical on offense.

For the first time in a good while it actually means something to be a Jet. We are establishing a brand of football that is distinguishable among the NFL and even an all-time great like LT can see what it means to be a Jet in 2010.[/QUOTE]

+1

F**K YEAH.

All League
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3765088]Yes. In fact, we now know that the talent Parcells left behind was significant.

Herman Edwards is a terrible head coach. Proven 2X by stints in New York and Kansas City. Yet he made the playoffs 3 times in 5 years here.

Proof positive we would have won 5 straight Super Bowls with a competent head coach.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Parcells definatly left us in way better shape then when he first got here (not saying much considering what he started with) but by no means did we have a top 7-10 team in terms of talent either.

We had an aging QB in Vinny (38 years old in '01), who I was a big fan of, but lets be real he only had one great season. Keyshawn was out the door, guys like Mo Lewis, Victor Green and Marvin Jones best years were behind them. Our secondary was average at best, Aaron Glenn was gone the year the Texans came into the league along with Marcus Coleman.

Dont get me wrong, we did have some young talent (Abraham, Ellis, Moss, etc.) and a pretty good OLine, but we werent elite either. I would say we were basiclly just about above average, probably between the 10-15 team range talent wise on average. Add in a dynasty in our own division (Pats) and teams like the Colts and Steelers in our confrence, plus the Raiders in the early 2000s, we played to our talent range, at times slightly above.

All League
    [QUOTE=rbstern;3764757]A rejuvinated, future HOF running back telling a national sportwriter how happy he is to be a Jet. If anybody ever mutters "same old Jets" again, that person should be tarred anf feathered.

[B][U]Woody, Mike and Rex: [I]Thank you[/I[/U][/B]].[/QUOTE]

+1 :yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=Vin;3765050]Dude...Sorry but if you think Kotite would've done as well as Herm did, you have to remember : It's RICH KOTITE we're talking about here. :eek:

Herm, for all his goofiness and stupidity, has at least SOME semblance of a brain. Rich did not have that luxury...[/QUOTE]
    are you really saying the person who agreed to be the "herminator" on espn has a brain?

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3764976]You can't accuse the OC of being too conservative by nature when it was pretty clear last year that he was far too aggressive with Sanchez. [B]Schotty has proven a good willingness to put the ball in the air.[/B]

If anything, Rex is the one who wants to run more.[/QUOTE]

Not in that Ravens game. :steamin:

All League
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;3765082]I love you SAR but you are Insane!!!! Do you honestly think that the talent level of the Jets was "elite" when Parcells left!!!!

Some of you act like Parcells left believing that the Jets were a SB headed team he didn't and he wouldn't. The man in the mirror crap notwithstanding Parcells left here thinking the teams best days were behind it. And I am a Parcells booster.

Only delusional Jets fans somehow believed that we were the most talented team in the NFL, built to win it all in 1999 & 2000 & 2001 etc. Yea we were the 1990's Bills are you MAD!!!!:P

Basic question how could we win it all when our QB position was in constant flux? Remember when Herm had to save the season and go against the vertern input by benching Vinnie? How many insane posts were out here then saying Herm couldn't do it becuase he and Vinnie stood next to each other during the National Anthem?

How could we win it all when our QB couldn't stay on the field for an entire season (aka Chad)?

Chad was great IMO but he was not Brady, Manning or even Farve ten years ago, Period!!!! We were never a top ten defense even with Bellichick as our DC and that wasn't because he wasn't trying or because he didn't know defense. No, it was because we didn't have the personnel that we have now!!!

Now we have a talented team!!! The team the Jets had before talent wise was good but not great. Now we have a tremendously talented team and we will see how far we go.

How dare you mention Kotite and any other Jets coach in Jets' history as being the same!!! Are you kidding? Kotite by his own admission was frequently out playing golf instead of coaching the team and Kotite again by his own admission didn't even know the names of the players on his own TEAM!!!

To compare Herm to Kotite just shows you how angry you are at Herm for what you perceive to be his "ruining" of the Jets SB aspirations. Caretaker Herm, as you have called him won significant playoff games while he was HC. Significant Games.

Was Herm as good a HC as REX? IMO, no he was not!!! But to say we had no success over the last decade is a little bit nutty.... Sorry

Herm as the devil come on now… Good Grief!!!!:eek:

Now if you said Herm was a drooling motivator you might have been on to something, but you didn't now did you:D[/QUOTE]
    herm stunk as a head coach. the jets team in 98 and 99 and even 2000 was a spread offense that went vertical. herm came in and forced a bunch of square pegs into round holes by switching the offense to a west coast style and the D to a cover 2. of course vinnie had trouble. he's a vertical qb with a shotgun arm trying to dink and dunk like he's joe montana or steve young. it's not his style and he was never any good at it. we all knew that! herm ruined everything the jets had going and the players bailed him out of stupid decisions with their discipline learned from parcells. the only coach worse than herm is kotite, and not by a whole lot. :steamin:

[QUOTE=fullblast;3765042]Herm never put his stamp on the team, neither did Mangini. They never gave the Jets an identity. They were always that team that did a bunch of things pretty well but nothing great. I think that's the problem I had with them and the reason why I never fully bought in. Rex has put his stamp on this team. Physical on defense, physical on offense.

For the first time in a good while it actually means something to be a Jet. We are establishing a brand of football that is distinguishable among the NFL and even an all-time great like LT can see what it means to be a Jet in 2010.[/QUOTE]

Oh, they put their stamps on those Jets teams all right. They played down to the competition on a weekly basis, while never rising to the challenge against better teams consistently :steamin:

[QUOTE=Zombo;3765180]are you really saying the person who agreed to be the "herminator" on espn has a brain?[/QUOTE]

Yes. But you're mistaking "Brain" with "Self-Respect", something he does not have right now since he's humiliating himself in this way on National TV.

[QUOTE=SAR I;3765072]Sorry, wrong.

Herman Edwards devised one gameplan for opening day 2001 and did not alter it once until his departure in 2006. For all his reputation for being some 'master motivator', tell me, can you name [I]one [/I]player that played above his abilities under Herman Edwards? One? I can't. The fact that the Jets improved markedly after he and his loyalists were punted out of dodge speaks volumes.

Look at the Jets team of 1998. Look at how well they performed down the stretch of 1999. Look at Al Groh's 7-1 start. Had Bill Parcells stayed then Bill Belichick would have stayed and we would have won at least one measly Super Bowl with that talented team.

[I]That's[/I] the team that Herman Edwards inherited. That's the type of young and mature talent we were left with. He did nothing with it. He's the worst Head Coach in New York Jets history as a result.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

[b]SAR, GET OFF IT[/b], buddy. No matter how you look at it, one's Coaching Career is what Defines how that person is perceived.

Herm's Coaching Career is perceived as him being a Mediocre Head Coach who couldn't manage the Clock to save his life. Also, his willingness to continuously use the Cover-2 defense instead of Man-to-Man was maddening..

Kotite's Coaching Career is Defined by 2 numbers : 1 and 15.

Sorry but as mediocre a coach as herm was, he will NEVER approach the Level of Suck attained by Kotite.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3764970][IMG]http://www.tiricosuave.com/images/martyball.jpg[/IMG]

WARNING:

Our success was brought to us by the brutal offensive showing against the Ravens, where our OC's gameplan was to tell his QB to play not-to-lose.

As soon as Marty goes back to putting Mark in a box, it's all over. We are one of the 'better' teams in the league because our OC has decided to trust his QB to actually win games for us; we can NOT let Marty forget this.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I see what you are doing here and.....I APPROVE!:yes:

SOJ won't die unril we make a SB and perhaps until we win one. It is all perception at this point but it is what it is. We have had 3 losing seasons in the last 14. While we have had very few great teams (98 really the only one) we have had several good to be very good teams. The perception of being a perennial loser is absurd.

Also in the article, and something I completely agree with, is we've got to make sure we don't wear LT down by giving him too many carries. I think so far the coaching staff has done a great job, but I want to see him fresh for our long playoff run.:yes:

Another somewhat amazing stat in that same article:

I got a kick out of looking at the four-week rushing leaders this morning. Look who's 6 and 7:
    Rush Yds. Avg/Carry
    Chris Johnson, Tenn. 94 354 3.77
    L. Tomlinson, NYJ 56 341 6.09

Read more: [url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/10/04/week4/index.html#ixzz11RoMXFc8[/url]

[QUOTE=Vin;3765202]

[b]SAR, GET OFF IT[/b], buddy. No matter how you look at it, one's Coaching Career is what Defines how that person is perceived.

Herm's Coaching Career is perceived as him being a Mediocre Head Coach who couldn't manage the Clock to save his life. Also, his willingness to continuously use the Cover-2 defense instead of Man-to-Man was maddening..

Kotite's Coaching Career is Defined by 2 numbers : 1 and 15.

Sorry but as mediocre a coach as herm was, he will NEVER approach the Level of Suck attained by Kotite.[/QUOTE]

A blind squirrel could have had the type of 'success' Herman Edwards had in New York. How do we know? Just look at Kansas City. Just look how the Jets players quit on him.

Show me another NFL head coach who make the playoffs in 3 of the last 10 years who isn't an NFL head coach right now besides the likes of Cowher who retired and is still very much in demand. Show me.

SAR I

[QUOTE=OBENjet;3764982]Say what you will about Herm, and I know the way he went to KC left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, but the guy made the playoffs 3 of 5 years that he was here and won a division. The bad years were when he lost his starting QB to injury. Do I want him back? No way. But I think people forget that he wasn't all that bad as a head coach. Also, players loved him as much as they love Rex.[/QUOTE]

herm certainly wasn't the worst coach we've ever had...as a leader and motivator I think he was top notch...

but let's not forget some of the in game decisions he made that cost us some games...if herm was a better game/clock manager who knows how far some of those teams could have gone...

When I think of the Herm era my stomach by no means turns, but it's more of the "it wasn't all left on the field" feeling

[QUOTE=TurkJetFan;3765912]herm certainly wasn't the worst coach we've ever had...as a leader and motivator I think he was top notch...

but let's not forget some of the in game decisions he made that cost us some games...if herm was a better game/clock manager who knows how far some of those teams could have gone...

When I think of the Herm era my stomach by no means turns, but it's more of the "it wasn't all left on the field" feeling[/QUOTE]

Can you please tell "SAR I" that? I can't get through to this guy....

in fairness to herm, you forgot that bradway is the guy who brought in jolley and a number of other bad draft picks and trades. also the tuna did leave them with a cap problem that caused the trade of a number of talented guys.

this team? they're doing well and they do have some real talent. tanny has been able to keep the talent coming in without wrecking the cap. but they've still only made the playoffs once under rex. let's see them make the playoffs for a few years in a row before declaring them a dynasty.

[QUOTE=SAR I;3765072]Sorry, wrong.

Herman Edwards devised one gameplan for opening day 2001 and did not alter it once until his departure in 2006. For all his reputation for being some 'master motivator', tell me, can you name [I]one [/I]player that played above his abilities under Herman Edwards? One? I can't. The fact that the Jets improved markedly after he and his loyalists were punted out of dodge speaks volumes.

Look at the Jets team of 1998. Look at how well they performed down the stretch of 1999. Look at Al Groh's 7-1 start. Had Bill Parcells stayed then Bill Belichick would have stayed and we would have won at least one measly Super Bowl with that talented team.

[I]That's[/I] the team that Herman Edwards inherited. That's the type of young and mature talent we were left with. He did nothing with it. He's the worst Head Coach in New York Jets history as a result.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Vin;3765050]Dude...Sorry but if you think Kotite would've done as well as Herm did, you have to remember : It's RICH KOTITE we're talking about here. :eek:

Herm, for all his goofiness and stupidity, has at least SOME semblance of a brain. Rich did not have that luxury...[/QUOTE]

Herm had to hire someone to watch the clock. Kotite did not.

[QUOTE=sameoldjets;3766202]in fairness to herm, you forgot that bradway is the guy who brought in jolley and a number of other bad draft picks and trades. also the tuna did leave them with a cap problem that caused the trade of a number of talented guys.

this team? they're doing well and they do have some real talent. tanny has been able to keep the talent coming in without wrecking the cap. [B] but they've still only made the playoffs once under rex[/B]. let's see them make the playoffs for a few years in a row before declaring them a dynasty.[/QUOTE]

So far under Rex they are 1 for 1 making it to the AFC Championship Game. You certainly have the correct user name.

[QUOTE=petejet;3766244]Herm had to hire someone to watch the clock. Kotite did not.[/QUOTE]

Dude, [b]THE TEAM WAS 1-15!! WE HAD MORE PROBLEMS THAN WORRYING ABOUT THE FREAKIN' CLOCK BACK THEN!![/b] :steamin:

You think anyone gave a crap whether Kotite had good clock-management or not at that point? He could've been JUST AS BAD as Herm was but we don't really know....

Good grief.....