Thread: The dumbing down and over coaching of football...

The dumbing down and over coaching of football...

This is something that has bugged me for a while now and seems to be getting worse with the great game of football at all levels and in all leagues. That is over coaching of the game and almost totally taking any in game decisions sway from any but the most savvy players.

This leads to the horrendously embarrassing results you see in a game like the LSU/Tennessee game this past weekend. Two teams when in crunch time totally incapable of functioning properly with the QB looking over to the bench with time running out. A team running on and off substitutions with 10 seconds left and the clock ticking.

The leagues just keep taking on field responsibility away from players (allowing coaches to call time outs for instance) making them more and more dependent on being told what to do, what to call etc on darn near every play. This reliance over time is making fewer players that can or be willing to think when things are on the line because over a season and often when the game is on the line the coaches can't hold your hands.

There are obviously some players that do get handed more thinking responsibility and those that can handle it prosper in tight situations (Peyton Manning for example). It makes really appreciate the guys in our fair game that are smart in game players.

This may sound like a preachy editorial but it's an annoyance watching NFL or high end college games in which you shake your head legitimately think Joe Schmuck fan could have managed a game better than some of the pros.

Thankfully it seems to me the Jets have some smart guys who can think for themselves both on offense and defense.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3764894]This is something that has bugged me for a while now and seems to be getting worse with the great game of football at all levels and in all leagues. That is over coaching of the game and almost totally taking any in game decisions sway from any but the most savvy players.

This leads to the horrendously embarrassing results you see in a game like the LSU/Tennessee game this past weekend. Two teams when in crunch time totally incapable of functioning properly with the QB looking over to the bench with time running out. A team running on and off substitutions with 10 seconds left and the clock ticking.

The leagues just keep taking on field responsibility away from players (allowing coaches to call time outs for instance) making them more and more dependent on being told what to do, what to call etc on darn near every play. This reliance over time is making fewer players that can or be willing to think when things are on the line because over a season and often when the game is on the line the coaches can't hold your hands.

There are obviously some players that do get handed more thinking responsibility and those that can handle it prosper in tight situations (Peyton Manning for example). It makes really appreciate the guys in our fair game that are smart in game players.

This may sound like a preachy editorial but it's an annoyance watching NFL or high end college games in which you shake your head legitimately think Joe Schmuck fan could have managed a game better than some of the pros.

Thankfully it seems to me the Jets have some smart guys who can think for themselves both on offense and defense.[/QUOTE]

Rex mentioned one time that his theory is the KISS theory (Keep it simple stupid). As complex as his scheme might seem, it's all based on simple fundamentals that Rex & Pettine are really good at coaching.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetster;3765035]Rex mentioned one time that his theory is the KISS theory (Keep it simple stupid). As complex as his scheme might seem, it's all based on simple fundamentals that Rex & Pettine are really good at coaching.[/QUOTE]

I remember KILL (Keep it likeable and learnable)

I have no problem with even complex schemes for teams on offense and defense but coaches also have to realize that they will not always be in a position to command the game and thus get the players ready to make in game decisions on their own.

[QUOTE=TJ;3765094]I remember KILL (Keep it likeable and learnable)[/QUOTE]

Your right it was KILL, KISS was from my company memos.