View Poll Results: Is Cotchery a number 1 receiver?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll

10 11.24%

68 76.40%

11 12.36%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cotchery a #1?

Someone describe what a #1 receiver is supposed to be then because I'm not understanding.

Is he a top 10 WR in the league?

No, but there are a handful of guys that are just special elite players at that position, like any other in the NFL, and then there's a significant drop off. Is he Randy Moss? No, but he's got everything you'd ask for in a #1 receiver.

Bottom line is he hasn't had the opportunities in this offense to make those types of plays because of the coordinator and because of the QB. Anyone that wants to say he doesn't have the speed... look at Jerry Rice and say the same thing because he wasn't a speed guy.

Too often speed is over rated by the fans. Cotchery has plenty of burst, plenty of ability to get off the line (he isn't physical? :rolleyes:), plenty of jumping ability and he can find the ball in the air and adjust. The guy is a playmaker that suffers because we're not a gunslinging offense and he's never had the opportunity to be THE go to guy.

However, he's plenty capable of putting up 1000 yard seasons.

To each his own. But I guarantee you that if you put him on the Saints or with Peyton Manning or with Tom Brady the league fanbase in general would feel much different than you guys do. Once again, I'm not saying he's a Top 10 or even Top 20 WR in the league. But I am saying he's a #1 WR in this league.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3765441]He's a solid #2, but I think he might be best suited for the slot. He's quick, has good hands, just not the speed you need to get a couple steps on cornerbacks. The Jets have never had the luxury of putting him there, until now.

X Santonio Holmes
    Y/TE Dustin Keller
    Slot Jerricho Cotchery
    Z Braylon Edwards

You can't stop that. Oh, and this guy name Ladanian Tomlinson will be in the backfield.[/QUOTE]

Just amazing thinking about it...

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=southside;3765406]I voted #1.

I honestly think he's the best WR on our team.[/QUOTE]
    IF "best" = "Biggest heart", THEN...[I]correctamundo![/I]

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Austin;3765479]He's a good possession receiver.

Anyone who thinks he's a #1 doesn't know what a #1 WR in the NFL is supposed to be.[/QUOTE]
    SO...to clarify, the #1 is the guy that gets doubled all game, while still producing results that help the team win. His being "double teamed" represents opportunities for other mismatches.

this is homerism at its finest.

Jericho is a good possesion reciever. Lets not get out of control people.

Santonio Holmes, on the other hand, is a tested bona-fide #1.

I think he's a pretty solid #2, given his history, who we'll have the luxury of using as the #3 WR and #4 target (After Keller as well) in our passing game.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3765468]Oh no, tell me you're drunk again!

:P

Seriously, I think Cotchery is an excellent #2 WR for most NFL teams including ours. But in a League with guys like Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Bradon Marshall, Randy Moss, Steve Smith, Santonio Holmes, and many others running around, Cotchery is just not quite there.....he's close, but he's not on the level of those guys.

He's the #2 right now with Braylon in the lineup, he'll be #3 when Holmes is back.[/QUOTE]
    I have good news for you. He's back.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;3765550]I have good news for you. He's back.[/QUOTE]

off the paper and onto the field? :D

yeah, most people consider him a #2 receiver now but I feel like a year or two ago everybody was calling him a bonafide #1

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3765431]Love Cotch but he is not in the elite league per se. Even Braylon, when he is at his best, seems to show a skill set that is not part of Cotch's arsenal.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Braylon can't be single covered. We see Edwards get 10 yards behind defenders and is a threat to score on any given play. Even when he's covered, you can throw it up to him and he'll a make something happen or draw a penalty on the defender.

Cotchery is solid, but he isn't a threat to score any time he gets his hands on the ball.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3765441]He's a solid #2, but I think he might be best suited for the slot. He's quick, has good hands, just not the speed you need to get a couple steps on cornerbacks. The Jets have never had the luxury of putting him there, until now.

X Santonio Holmes
    Y/TE Dustin Keller
    Slot Jerricho Cotchery
    Z Braylon Edwards

You can't stop that. Oh, and this guy name Ladanian Tomlinson will be in the backfield.[/QUOTE]

In that context Cotch would be absolutelt deadly, same for the other receivers - the sum of the whole and all that. Even when he's moved to other spots he's proven himself quite adequate. I do agree that he has great hands but his lack of top end speed hurts his cause to be a true #1, though he has shown some serious flashes at times.

[QUOTE=detectivekimble;3765577]Exactly. Braylon can't be single covered. We see Edwards get 10 yards behind defenders and is a threat to score on any given play. Even when he's covered, you can throw it up to him and he'll a make something happen or draw a penalty on the defender.

Cotchery is solid, but he isn't a threat to score any time he gets his hands on the ball.[/QUOTE]

So a legit #1 WR is a threat to score at any time? Boldin isn't that guy IMO but everyone thinks he's a #1.

By the way, I do think many people (technically including myself) have grossly underestimated Braylon Edwards and forget that he was a Top 5 draft pick. He's got amazing ability and a bad rap from Cleveland. Bottom line is that the guy has a rare blend of attributes. He's tall and has top speed and incredible ball skills. The only knock on him was his lack of focus and dropping the ball.... mostly IMO because he was looking to make a play before he secured the catch. But he definitely has circus catch ability.

Honestly, this whole #1 WR crap is nonsense anyway. That hierarchy doesn't exist on our team anyway. We've got a bunch of castaways looking to win a Super Bowl and feel accepted by their team. Without Rex, it doesn't work. Either way, I think Cotchery has displayed all the attributes you want in a starting WR in the NFL.

My opinion has been well documented by now so I'll let this thread move along without me from here on out.

He may not be a "#1" WR, but if it's 4 and goal, 00:01 on the clock, down by 4. I want him getting the ball because he makes tough catches.

He's a terrific possession receiver, a great compliment as a #2 receiver. A true #1 has gamebreaking ability, Cotch doesn't have that, and that's okay. And there's a difference between a #1 receiver and the receiver at the top of the depth chart. I don't think there are 32 "#1s" in the league. Welker is one of the 15 best receivers in the league, but he's not a #1. Physical attribute do play a role in being designated a "#1."

cotch isn't randy moss, andre johnson, or brandon marshall .... frankly he's no santonio holmes or braylon edwards talent wise but he'll show up when you need him to. i can only recall him missing 2 passes the entire time he's been a jet which is saying something ... excellent blocker and just a solid football player ... he breaks up interceptions more than any other receiver .... his talent doesn't wow you but he makes plays, he's clutch, and has never brought negativity on to the team .... he's a number 2 in this league but right now the jets have so much talent on offense he's their 6th option on offense ... keller, holmes, braylon, LT, brad smith and then Cotch ... he's lead the team in receptions and etc the past couple of years but this year i knew he'd take a huge hit with his stats but it isn't his fault ... if he was on a team like the Giants he'd easily have 60 plus receptions. on these jets this year he'll probly have 40 receptions tops but that doesn't mean he's not a number 2 ... look at the damn team he's on

[QUOTE=southside;3765596]So a legit #1 WR is a threat to score at any time? Boldin isn't that guy IMO but everyone thinks he's a #1.

By the way, I do think many people (technically including myself) have grossly underestimated Braylon Edwards and forget that he was a Top 5 draft pick. He's got amazing ability and a bad rap from Cleveland. Bottom line is that the guy has a rare blend of attributes. He's tall and has top speed and incredible ball skills. The only knock on him was his lack of focus and dropping the ball.... mostly IMO because he was looking to make a play before he secured the catch. But he definitely has circus catch ability.

Honestly, this whole #1 WR crap is nonsense anyway. That hierarchy doesn't exist on our team anyway. We've got a bunch of castaways looking to win a Super Bowl and feel accepted by their team. Without Rex, it doesn't work. Either way, I think Cotchery has displayed all the attributes you want in a starting WR in the NFL.

My opinion has been well documented by now so I'll let this thread move along without me from here on out.[/QUOTE]

I've always been a big Braylon fan. He was just stuck in an awful situation in Cleveland. I think Lee Evans is in that same boat right now.

But, what's scarier than a guy who can score any time he touches the ball? Guys like Randy Moss, Chris Johnson, etc. keep defenses up at night. Who do you think is more important to the Pat's offense, Moss or Welker?

Boldin is faster and more explosive than Cotchery. I haven't watched Boldin much lately, but he used to be great after the catch. If you watch Cotchery, he doesn't get much separation and isn't a big threat to score. He is really just a possession receiver.

With that said, Holmes, Edwards and Cotchery compliment each other perfectly.

[QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;3765609]cotch isn't randy moss, andre johnson, or brandon marshall .... frankly he's no santonio holmes or braylon edwards talent wise but he'll show up when you need him to. i can only recall him missing 2 passes the entire time he's been a jet which is saying something ... excellent blocker and just a solid football player ... he breaks up interceptions more than any other receiver .... his talent doesn't wow you but he makes plays, he's clutch, and has never brought negativity on to the team .... he's a number 2 in this league but right now the jets have so much talent on offense he's their 6th option on offense ... keller, holmes, braylon, LT, brad smith and then Cotch ... he's lead the team in receptions and etc the past couple of years but this year i knew he'd take a huge hit with his stats but it isn't his fault ... if he was on a team like the Giants he'd easily have 60 plus receptions. on these jets this year he'll probly have 40 receptions tops but that doesn't mean he's not a number 2 ... look at the damn team he's on[/QUOTE]

Well at the end of the day his touches will go down, as will all the receivers IMO not named LT or Keller.... and that's not a bad thing, but I do think he'll have a career best in TDs. He's going to be so freaking open all the time it's ridiculous.

On this team he's a 3, overall I'd say he's a very good 2.

[QUOTE=southside;3765616]Well at the end of the day his touches will go down, as will all the receivers IMO not named LT or Keller.... and that's not a bad thing, but I do think he'll have a career best in TDs. He's going to be so freaking open all the time it's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

holmes opens the game up for keller not cotch .... cotch will have no more than 4 or 5 TD's this year and he's already got one. holmes will get his, braylon will get his as well just off breakout Td's and being main options ... keller will get all the TD's when teams key in on braylon or holmes ... and if teams key in on keller holmes will get it ... u gotta remember rex wants to keep this a running team more than anything and we still are a running team at heart especially once the weather gets cold ... cotch wont even be in the 2 WR sets ... not to mention the sets when we split keller out ... no way he has a career year as far as Td's are concerned. that would mean we're running more singleback formations with 3 WR's than anything ... there's no way thats going to be the main package this team runs ....

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;3765420]lol at anyone thinking Cotchery is even close to being a #1.

Cotchery isn't and never was a #1.

He is a solid player, and a great guy to root for, but can not take over games like #1's can.[/QUOTE]

Possibly one of the sainest and smartest post I read here.