Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex: McKnight can be a two-way player- NY Post

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex: McKnight can be a two-way player- NY Post

Jets coach says McKnight could be two-way player
    Jets BlogPOST STAFF REPORT

Last Updated: 6:10 PM, October 4, 2010

Posted: 5:50 PM, October 4, 2010

Comments: 0 More Print Joe McKnight couldn't get on the field for the Jets' first three games. Now Rex Ryan is talking about McKnight never coming off.

The Jets head coach on Monday said the running back's performance on the scout team defense has initiated ideas of him playing two ways.

"Yes. Why not? Itís been done. Guys can play both ways," Ryan said. "Troy Brown was one. I think Cleveland had a guy with a receiver jersey last year (on defense). Itís been done.

"Weíre pretty set now at corner, but it just shows you. Heíll go out there now and compete. When our guys are running routes against him, heís competing like crazy out there. You see some natural corner skills."

McKnight was active for the first time in Sunday's win over the Bills, playing mostly on special teams before getting some garbage time on offense.

Ryan said McKnight's enthusiasm never waned while not playing, and his athleticism impressed the team during practice.

"I think he could play corner. I donít think thereís any doubt when you see him," Ryan said. "I think (defensive backs coach) Dennis Thurman would love to have that opportunity to coach him. I was told when we took him out of (USC), I had a coach tell me that he was the best receiver and the best corner on their campus the day he showed up. He has that kind of athleticism."

McKnight's slow adaptation to the NFL was a topic on "Hard Knocks" and his roster spot was questioned as the Jets have let go of Leon Washington, Danny Woodhead and Chauncey Washington to keep him around.

Ryan showed he thinks the Jets will be proven right in the end.

"I can say this, heís the guy that had to make himself a better player," he said. "His enthusiasm and everything else, when he hits the practice field, has been different. I donít know why that is. I donít want to say pressure, but maybe thereís just something to it, where he decided that, 'Hey, I know a way to get myself back on this team and to be active, and thatís to do it myself.' I think thatís what heís done."

Read more: [url]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_coach_says_mcknight_could_be_3yBPkddjPvjeUD41qpVibK?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz11R3cJxCh[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    if he can be a worthy 5th or 6th corner.. and be a #3hb, kr, pr....... and not **** up

he with be worth alot of value to us

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    McKnight is an incredible athlete with lots of potential. If he gets his head in the game we will have a dangerous player on our hands.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    We cut the Washington Brothers? :eek:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fullblast;3765529]McKnight is an incredible athlete with lots of potential. If he gets his head in the game we will have a dangerous player on our hands.[/QUOTE]

What Rex also said at the press conferance is that he looked real good on special teams, being the first one down on coverage teams ( I didn't see it , I will look foe Joe next time). That will get him on the 45. What Rex also said was that according to a unnamed USC coach McKnight was the best receiver on campus as a freshmen. Thoughts of Lavernes Cole comes to mind...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fullblast;3765529]McKnight is an incredible athlete with lots of potential. If he gets his head in the game we will have a dangerous player on our hands.[/QUOTE]

Id love to see some footage of him playing DB in practice. :D

I know Id want to play offense and defense if i were on an NFL team.

:D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's good, so when he fumbles and turns the ball over he should at least be able to make the tackle.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Corner is McKnight's original position. He didn't start playing HB until after Hurricane Katrina, when he had to transfer to another high school (he played both positions for the rest of his HS career). When he got to USC, they strongly considered him playing at corner, but the defense was loaded and they needed playmakers on offense. Rex didn't pull this one out of his ass. McKnight has experience at the position.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i watched some trojan games where he was split out and the guy knows how to run routes ... he never lived up to the hype but his talent is there he just never had a coach bring it out of him. Pete Carroll towards the end lost that team and the players and the program was in chaos ...... joe mcknight has never been pushed the way Rex is pushing him now .... i know guys destroyed him cause of 1 pre season and etc but once rex is done with him you'll see a DEADLY reggie bush type guy on this roster ... i truly believe rex can bring out the best out of all his guys .... i expect to see mcknight be a factor next year more so than this year but i wouldn't be suprised if he turns out being a lethal 3rd down option on this team where they throw him screens or something ... no linebacker in this league can cover this kid in coverage i promise u that

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another jack of all trades? Brad Smith 2.0?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He cant be any worse then wilson.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;3765658]i watched some trojan games where he was split out and the guy knows how to run routes ... he never lived up to the hype but his talent is there he just never had a coach bring it out of him. Pete Carroll towards the end lost that team and the players and the program was in chaos ...... joe mcknight has never been pushed the way Rex is pushing him now .... i know guys destroyed him cause of 1 pre season and etc but once rex is done with him you'll see a DEADLY reggie bush type guy on this roster ... [B]i truly believe rex can bring out the best out of all his guys[/B] .... i expect to see mcknight be a factor next year more so than this year but i wouldn't be suprised if he turns out being a lethal 3rd down option on this team where they throw him screens or something ... no linebacker in this league can cover this kid in coverage i promise u that[/QUOTE]

I don't know. Still waiting for an impressive game from Gholston. Hope McKnight isn't another physically gifted player that doesn't play with heart.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3765579]That's good, so when he fumbles and turns the ball over he should at least be able to make the tackle.[/QUOTE]

There has got to be one in every crowd.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;3765658]i watched some trojan games where he was split out and the guy knows how to run routes ... he never lived up to the hype but his talent is there he just never had a coach bring it out of him. Pete Carroll towards the end lost that team and the players and the program was in chaos ...... joe mcknight has never been pushed the way Rex is pushing him now .... i know guys destroyed him cause of 1 pre season and etc but once rex is done with him you'll see a DEADLY reggie bush type guy on this roster ... i truly believe rex can bring out the best out of all his guys .... i expect to see mcknight be a factor next year more so than this year but i wouldn't be suprised if he turns out being a lethal 3rd down option on this team where they throw him screens or something ... no linebacker in this league can cover this kid in coverage i promise u that[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. REX has got to be the single biggest factor in the resurrection of LT; Taylor, drew Coleman and maybe McKnight. Kudos to rex.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;3765597]Corner is McKnight's original position. He didn't start playing HB until after Hurricane Katrina, when he had to transfer to another high school (he played both positions for the rest of his HS career). When he got to USC, they strongly considered him playing at corner, but the defense was loaded and they needed playmakers on offense. Rex didn't pull this one out of his ass. McKnight has experience at the position.[/QUOTE]

Great information. Thank you. I appreciate it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3765666]He cant be any worse then wilson.[/QUOTE]

No, there's two in every crowd.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=theVinman;3765686]No, there's two in every crowd.[/QUOTE]

you are right! :O

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We cut Danny Woodhead for McKnight. He better have something to offer...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RoadFan;3765856]We cut Danny Woodhead for McKnight. He better have something to offer...[/QUOTE]

CORRECTION: We cut WOODHEAD because he could not make our team. He was a nice player but not as athletic as McKnight. On the PATTYCAKES he could be a star as they are a lot less talented then we are. All things are relative.:eek:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone explain to me the last time we saw an example of this so called athletic ability out of McPukerson? Last time I watched him do anything remotely near calling on his athletic ability was him completely running out of gas after running for 50 yards and getting tackled from behind while looking like he was running with sh!t in his pants.

I swear, some of you guys are delusional. Seriously, show me one play in the NFL where this so called speed and athletic ability is on display. Because his USC days are widely considered to be "bust" quality and I'm not impressed that he is faster than a bunch of nerds in the PAC10 playing defense against him.

Rex says great things about every one of his players. He's trying to motivate this loser and that's all. I seriously doubt McPukerson could cover any receiver on our team. Just because he played CB in high school doesn't make him an NFL CB.