Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Woodhead

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3766609]I wish nothing but the best for this player, he's a cast off in the eyes of scouts but mentally he's exactly what a football player should be... tremendously hard working and gutsy.

that being said he's a cast off and not good enough to get reps on this Jets team. the Pats are not as talented and are better playing the Jets cast offs. It wasn't too long ago it was the other way around. The Jets are a more talented team than the Pats in 2010.[/QUOTE]

Excellent point and I sure do agree with you on this one.

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;3766578]you need to relax.

Woodhead made the Jets roster, that means he's a good player. but his stay would've been short-lived, as he likely would've gotten cut with Holmes coming back.

he would've had 3 RB's and 4 WR's ahead of him in the depth chart, it's not a BS argument to say that the we had no room for him. it's a fact.

the Pasts* had depth/talent problems in the backfield at the beginning of the season, then they traded Maroney and lost Faulk and Taylor to injuries. it makes sense that Woodhead would get more opportunities in NE than he did for us.

i agree when you say that it's stupid to say that Woodhead is worthless and can't play. but it's even more idiotic to completely dismiss McKnight and call him a bust at this point in his career.[/QUOTE]

I'm not calling McPukerson a bust. I'm calling him a loser that sucks at football that will never reach his potential due to his incredible lack of dedication to his craft. He might be god gifted but that doesn't mean he's gonna be a good NFL player. I hope you're holding out the same sentiment for Gholston. Can't have it both ways.

All League
    why we would cut Woodhead and bring back Clowney, who had no real spot here, never contributed, and was hated by ST coach, I didnt understand. Even the casual fan can see DW is a FOOTBALL PLAYER.

Below is a pic taken after the Ravens MNF game, he stopped to take a pic with my 9 year old son. About 8-10 hours later he got cut by the NYJ.

[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/stewdawg68/0913002307.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=Stewdawg;3766693]why we would cut Woodhead and bring back Clowney, who had no real spot here, never contributed, and was hated by ST coach, I didnt understand. Even the casual fan can see DW is a FOOTBALL PLAYER.[/QUOTE]

if it makes ya feel better, Clowney was cut for Holmes. So likely Woodhead would have gotten cut for holmes too. It wasn't a real roster spot.

[QUOTE=southside;3766680]I'm not calling McPukerson a bust. I'm calling him a loser that sucks at football that will never reach his potential due to his incredible lack of dedication to his craft. He might be god gifted but that doesn't mean he's gonna be a good NFL player. I hope you're holding out the same sentiment for Gholston. Can't have it both ways.[/QUOTE]

Gholston was the #6 pick overall and is now in his 3rd season and has disappointed again and again. i've given up all hope of him being a star player, but i still hope he at least develops into a solid rotation DE/OLB.

"McPukerson" (how clever :rolleyes:) is a 4th round pick at the beginning of his rookie season, and should hardly be held to the same standards of a Top 10 pick.

that being said, you've clearly made up your mind already over the fact that he's "a loser that sucks at football that will never reach his potential" 4 games into his rookie campaign.

Rookie
    I have been one of the bigest bashers of little Danny Boy here. Well, I was somewhat wrong.
    If your an NFL team down to your 3rd option at RB, because of injuries, and play a wide open passing offence, where no defence expects you to run the ball, then Danny Boy's your man.
    There's only one team I can think of in that situation, the Pats.
    Any other team in the NFL this scrub doesn't come close to seeing any playing time.
    Time to let go of the Wood, fellas. It'll make ya go blind. ;)

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;3766711]that being said, you've clearly made up your mind already over the fact that he's "a loser that sucks at football that will never reach his potential" 4 games into his rookie campaign.[/QUOTE]

And you've clearly made up your mind that Woodhead has no where near the talent of McKnight (happy now :rolleyes:) despite the fact that he ran a better 40 time and had better cone speed which is WAY more important than whatever other "potential" McKnight supposedly possesses. No one likes that kid, nobody, not even his old NCAA coach who had the chance to draft him and would have rather taken a hobbling Leon Washington who's about 8 years older than this young stud RB out of USC.

You're right there's a difference between Gholston and McKnight. Gholston unfortunately is having a slow development process but at least he's one of the hardest working guys on the team. McKnight has zero work ethic, showed up TWICE out of shape as a skills position guy, and has a serious entitlement issue much like Clowney. This kid isn't even returning kicks for us. He can't even beat out Brad Smith as a returner.

It's really simple: The Jets didn't keep McKnight over Woodhead for any other reason other than he was a 4th round pick who would have never made this roster otherwise due to his absolutely dreadful performance. I can guarantee you that if the Jets could do that pick over they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Defend the "Rookie" all you want. Unless he changes his attitude he's never going to be anything other than an utter disappointment.

[QUOTE=southside;3766737]And you've clearly made up your mind that Woodhead has no where near the talent of McKnight (happy now :rolleyes:) despite the fact that he ran a better 40 time and had better cone speed which is WAY more important than whatever other "potential" McKnight supposedly possesses. No one likes that kid, nobody, not even his old NCAA coach who had the chance to draft him and would have rather taken a hobbling Leon Washington who's about 8 years older than this young stud RB out of USC.

You're right there's a difference between Gholston and McKnight. Gholston unfortunately is having a slow development process but at least he's one of the hardest working guys on the team. McKnight has zero work ethic, showed up TWICE out of shape as a skills position guy, and has a serious entitlement issue much like Clowney. This kid isn't even returning kicks for us. He can't even beat out Brad Smith as a returner.

It's really simple: The Jets didn't keep McKnight over Woodhead for any other reason other than he was a 4th round pick who would have never made this roster otherwise due to his absolutely dreadful performance. I can guarantee you that if the Jets could do that pick over they'd do it in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

you "know" all of this? you can "guarantee" that they wouldn't take McKnight??

get real.

draft status matters in the NFL, whether you like it or not. that's why high draft picks are given more time and more opportunities to develop and make a difference than lower-drafted or undrafted players. it's not the first time it's happened in the league, and it won't be the last.

but even taking away draft status, i'd say that keeping McKnight over Woodhead is absolutely the right choice to make. McKnight is bigger, stronger, faster and 5 years younger than Woodhead.

the Jets are grooming McKnight to be LT's replacement in 2 years, who'd you rather have then, a 24 year old McKnight or a 29 year old Woodhead? if the Jets were looking for an impact RB this year, then maybe the latter would've made more sense, like he made sense for the Pasts* given their problems at the position.

[QUOTE=Savage69;3766282]He was no longer practice squad eligible having been active for 9 games in his career..[/QUOTE]

I was talking about McKnight. What team would give up a spot on their 53 man roster other than the team that drafted him?

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;3766748]you "know" all of this? you can "guarantee" that they wouldn't take McKnight??

get real.

draft status matters in the NFL, whether you like it or not. that's why high draft picks are given more time and more opportunities to develop and make a difference than lower-drafted or undrafted players. it's not the first time it's happened in the league, and it won't be the last.

but even taking away draft status, i'd say that keeping McKnight over Woodhead is absolutely the right choice to make. McKnight is bigger, stronger, faster and 5 years younger than Woodhead.

the Jets are grooming McKnight to be LT's replacement in 2 years, who'd you rather have then, a 24 year old McKnight or a 29 year old Woodhead? if the Jets were looking for an impact RB this year, then maybe the latter would've made more sense, like he made sense for the Pasts* given their problems at the position.[/QUOTE]

Get real? Did you watch Hard Knocks? Did you hear Rex say that the kid wouldn't even be active all season and that he had to keep him for the obvious reasons of his draft position? That's not getting real.... that's being about as real as it gets. They couldn't have been more down on this kid at all.

Look, I realize you have some sort of hard on for McKnight. Not sure why, but that's your prerogative. But if you don't like the position I'm taking then look yourself right in the mirror. Because all you're doing is talking nonsense about Woodhead and telling everyone that YOUR opinion is more important than theirs. You can try and make a case for McKnight all you want. Facts are that Danny Woodhead in two games for the Pats has now scored 2 big TDs and has quite a nice yards per touch average. You have absolutely nothing positive to even point to about why we shouldn't be down on McKnight other than some "potential" you're claiming he has. All he did was fumble and puke and look slow as hell all season while getting chided by the coaching staff and even Santonio Holmes who doesn't even play the same position.

What makes you so sure the Jets drafted McKnight to take over for LT anyway? Like that's even possible to begin with. LT is the best RB to ever play in the league. There's no replacing him. Ask SD how they're doing with that. The Jets drafted a scat back to replace Leon. If they had any intention on giving this kid 20 carries a game then I'm sure they've changed their mind by now. If anything else he's here to backup Shonn Greene as a change of pace back. That's it. And those guys are a dime a dozen.

Joe McKnight has some really awesome potential.... because they waited 4 years for it at USC and now we're still here in the NFL waiting for that amazing potential from such an awesome athlete who ran a 4.47 at the combine. :rolleyes: Yeah what an amazing athlete.
    Last edited by southside; 10-05-2010 at 01:50 PM.

[QUOTE=southside;3766769]Get real? Did you watch Hard Knocks? Did you hear Rex say that the kid wouldn't even be active all season and that he had to keep him for the obvious reasons of his draft position? That's not getting real.... that's being about as real as it gets. They couldn't have been more down on this kid at all.

Look, I realize you have some sort of hard on for McKnight. Not sure why, but that's your prerogative. But if you don't like the position I'm taking then look yourself right in the mirror. Because all you're doing is talking nonsense about Woodhead and telling everyone that YOUR opinion is more important than theirs. You can try and make a case for McKnight all you want. Facts are that Danny Woodhead in two games for the Pats has now scored 2 big TDs and has quite a nice yards per touch average. You have absolutely nothing positive to even point to about why we shouldn't be down on McKnight other than some "potential" you're claiming he has. All he did was fumble and puke and look slow as hell all season while getting chided by the coaching staff and even Santonio Holmes who doesn't even play the same position.

What makes you so sure the Jets drafted McKnight to take over for LT anyway? Like that's even possible to begin with. LT is the best RB to ever play in the league. There's no replacing him. Ask SD how they're doing with that. The Jets drafted a scat back to replace Leon. If they had any intention on giving this kid 20 carries a game then I'm sure they've changed their mind by now. If anything else he's here to backup Shonn Greene as a change of pace back. That's it. And those guys are a dime a dozen.[/QUOTE]

now you're just making **** up. seriously.

i don't have a hard on for McKnight, i just don't see the point on ****ting on a kid that has barely played in his rookie season. he's not off to a great start, to be sure, but he has plenty of time to get better.

he has apparently earned enough trust from the coaching staff to be activated, played on ST and given garbage time carries. and now Rex is talking about him maybe becoming a two-way player. it's not my prerogative and it's certainly not me trying to impose my opinion on anybody else. it's just what's happening right before our eyes.

and i have NOTHING against Woodhead. i was very happy that he made the roster, and somewhat bummed that we dropped him for Clowney. but given that Clowney was dropped to make room for Holmes, it seems as though Woodhead's stay with the Jets wasn't gonna be very prolonged. and how could it be, when there are 3 RB's and 4 WR's ahead of him on the depth chart?

and as far as replacing LT, i meant in the sense that he'll be the guy that runs outside and catches passes out of the backfield, acting as a change-of-pace back for Shonn Greene. i obviously don't mean replacing LT as a football player, duh, LT is arguably a Top 5 RB in the history of the game. the fact that you would even interpret my post in that sense is mindboggling.

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;3766787]now you're just making **** up. seriously.

i don't have a hard on for McKnight, i just don't see the point on ****ting on a kid that has barely played in his rookie season. he's not off to a great start, to be sure, but he has plenty of time to get better.

he has apparently earned enough trust from the coaching staff to be activated, played on ST and given garbage time carries. and now Rex is talking about him maybe becoming a two-way player. it's not my prerogative and it's certainly not me trying to impose my opinion on anybody else. it's just what's happening right before our eyes.

and i have NOTHING against Woodhead. i was very happy that he made the roster, and somewhat bummed that we dropped him for Clowney. but given that Clowney was dropped to make room for Holmes, it seems as though Woodhead's stay with the Jets wasn't gonna be very prolonged. and how could it be, when there are 3 RB's and 4 WR's ahead of him on the depth chart?

and as far as replacing LT, i meant in the sense that he'll be the guy that runs outside and catches passes out of the backfield, acting as a change-of-pace back for Shonn Greene. i obviously don't mean replacing LT as a football player, duh, LT is arguably a Top 5 RB in the history of the game. the fact that you would even interpret my post in that sense is mindboggling.[/QUOTE]

Ehh fair enough. :D

All Pro
    [QUOTE=southside;3766737]It's really simple: The Jets didn't keep McKnight over Woodhead for any other reason other than he was a 4th round pick who would have never made this roster otherwise due to his absolutely dreadful performance.[/QUOTE]

I'd also argue this : that there's no way the Jets would have drafted McKnight if they were sold on Woodhead as a player to start with. The fact they picked McKnight says to me that they'd already decided Woodhead wasn't fit to be the #3 RB / ST guy on this team. (Nor was Leon, though his contract / injury status also played a part in that decision).

All League
    a college buddy of mine has already ordered and received (rush delivery) a Woodhead #39 Pats jersey. don't know why, but it really bothers me:mad:

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=southside;3766680]I'm not calling McPukerson a bust. I'm calling him a loser that sucks at football that will never reach his potential due to his incredible lack of dedication to his craft. He might be god gifted but that doesn't mean he's gonna be a good NFL player. I hope you're holding out the same sentiment for Gholston. Can't have it both ways.[/QUOTE]

Well, you have a kid in Los Angeles. It's a town full of fawning boot-lickers just waiting to ride the gravy train. Add Pete Carroll, and that pretty much was Joe's former point of reference for his vision of success in the NFL.

<fast forward>

Today, Rex has his ear; Rex holds his paycheck....now the kid is getting excited about what he can do as a contributor for a loaded team. Rex apparently has found a vein of gumption somewhere in Joe, and it looks pretty good.

I have a feeling that Joe is a talented athlete among focused NFL elites, and he's starting to realize he can get to that elite level.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3766839]Well, you have a kid in Los Angeles. It's a town full of fawning boot-lickers just waiting to ride the gravy train. Add Pete Carroll, and that pretty much was Joe's former point of reference for his vision of success in the NFL.

<fast forward>

Today, Rex has his ear; Rex holds his paycheck....now the kid is getting excited about what he can do as a contributor for a loaded team. Rex apparently has found a vein of gumption somewhere in Joe, and it looks pretty good.

I have a feeling that Joe is a talented athlete among focused NFL elites, and he's starting to realize he can get to that elite level.[/QUOTE]

You're crazy, you have no idea wht you are talking about.

McKnight will NEVER be the stud that Woodhead is.

The Woodhead Debacle will bring down this team.

Just because Rex think's he may have something in McKnight and let Woodhead go--that means NOTHING.

:rolleyes:

_

[QUOTE=JStokes;3766851]You're crazy, you have no idea wht you are talking about.

McKnight will NEVER be the stud that Woodhead is.

The Woodhead Debacle will bring down this team.

Just because Rex think's he may have something in McKnight and let Woodhead go--that means NOTHING.

:rolleyes:

_[/QUOTE]

Stop antagonizing me. :D