Thread: A contract issue that may come up sooner rather than later

Veteran

A contract issue that may come up sooner rather than later

Dustin Keller is awesome. Dustin Keller may want more money if he continues his current pace of production. That is all.

[QUOTE=kdelgado;3766267]Dustin Keller is awesome. Dustin Keller may want more money if he continues his current pace of production. That is all.[/QUOTE]

Two factors should slow Keller's production without hurting the team.

1. Holmes will be a second security blanket for Sanchez as he runs great routes and has good hands.

2. As Sanchez matures, he will spread the ball around more.

This team is loaded and we can't keep everyone. For every Revis we lock up someone will have to go. I was wrong about Keller on draft day, hopefully we can afford to keep him.

All Pro
    I think you'll also see more teams doubling Keller to stop him killing them. That's when Sanchez will have to look elsewhere. Not a knock on Keller at all, but may rein in his numbers a bit.

we should trade him now that his value is sky-high.

save some money, acquire some picks, develop Cumberland as the next pass-catching TE.

TE's don't win championships.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3766564]we should trade him now that his value is sky-high.

save some money, [B]acquire some picks[/B], develop Cumberland as the next pass-catching TE.[/QUOTE]

No, trade him to New England.

For Danny Woodhead.

_

[QUOTE=JStokes;3766569]No, trade him to New England.

For Danny Woodhead.

_[/QUOTE]

even better.

SUPER BOWL!!!! :rockon:

Trade him for Stucky and Kenyon Coleman!

He's in the third year of a five year contract, why are we worrying about this now? Not everyone is Revis.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=kdelgado;3766267]Dustin Keller is awesome. Dustin Keller may want more money if he continues his current pace of production. That is all.[/QUOTE]

He is in yr 3 of a 5 yr deal. He's not Revis.

Plus, why do even care about this now? The Jets have 12 regular season games left and the postseason in what could be a very special year and you're thinking about something in 2013?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3766564]we should trade him now that his value is sky-high.

save some money, acquire some picks, develop Cumberland as the next pass-catching TE.[/QUOTE]

Saving money & depth >>>>>>>>>>>>>> elite talent

[QUOTE=JamesR;3766559]I think you'll also see more teams doubling Keller to stop him killing them. That's when Sanchez will have to look elsewhere. Not a knock on Keller at all, but may rein in his numbers a bit.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I actually think that the reason he is wide open is because the defense can't afford to not double Braylon. Wait till Holmes shows up, they're all going to be wide open.

[QUOTE=MDL_JET;3766568]TE's don't win championships.[/QUOTE]

That's not what DWC said.

[QUOTE=SMC;3766746]Saving money & depth >>>>>>>>>>>>>> elite talent[/QUOTE]

it's the Patriots* model.

why have guys like Holmes, Keller and Edwards when you can fill your roster with the Edelmans and Woodheads of the world?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=SMC;3766745]He is in yr 3 of a 5 yr deal. He's not Revis.

Plus, why do even care about this now? The Jets have 12 regular season games left and the postseason in what could be a very special year and you're thinking about something in 2013?[/QUOTE]

Eh I figured I should just start a thread about it since everyone tends to come to the same realization at 1 point in the season I figured I'd get ahead of the pack. This is mostly to get some information given I wrote two simple sentences in my original post. And this board tends to be really lame after wins anyway so why not.

[QUOTE=JamesR;3766559]I think you'll also see more teams doubling Keller to stop him killing them. That's when Sanchez will have to look elsewhere. Not a knock on Keller at all, but may rein in his numbers a bit.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that is waaaaay too farsighted....how about we hope teams don't start doubling him and he continues killing them.....you know, until we clinch a playoff spot at least.

Next offseason is definitely going to have some difficult decisions involved, and the impending lockout is not going to help anything, but for now I'd like to concentrate on being the defending superbowl champions whenever the next season starts, and catches, yards, TDs, and Ws are good for that.

All League
    [QUOTE=James Hasty;3766376]Two factors should slow Keller's production without hurting the team.

1. Holmes will be a second security blanket for Sanchez as he runs great routes and has good hands.

2. As Sanchez matures, he will spread the ball around more.

This team is loaded and we can't keep everyone. For every Revis we lock up someone will have to go. I was wrong about Keller on draft day, hopefully we can afford to keep him.[/QUOTE]
    if i'm not mistaken, holmes is a rfa next season, so the jets should be able to tender him like they did with braylon before this season. as for keller, i think the jets will do everything they can to lock up sanchez's favorite target. a young qb needs a tight end. he has one now. no reason not to keep him.

I have a few questions:

1) How many years are remaining on his contract?
    2) What is the next tier pay scale wise at his position?
    3) How much of his current money is guarenteed and how much is perfomance based?

Buffalo Bills, enough said.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=NewYorkSackExchange;3767025]Buffalo Bills, enough said.[/QUOTE]

Right... but what does that have to do with the topic at hand?

[QUOTE=TurkJetFan;3766974]I have a few questions:

1) How many years are remaining on his contract?
    2) What is the next tier pay scale wise at his position?
    3) How much of his current money is guarenteed and how much is perfomance based?[/QUOTE]

1) Keller is under contract for two years beyond this one

2)The next comparable tier I guess would be Heath Miller, who received a 5 year 34 million deal with close to 13 million in guarantees. He would have to explode to reach the top tier money of Dallas Clark and Antonio Gates which are around 40 million half of which is guaranteed. I think the TE market is pretty much set to where if you are a "potential" player you can get above market (like Miller) but low guarantees. Clark, Gates, and Winslow all got big deals and big guarantees. Keller would have to put up at least 2 years of close to 900 yards to get into that category

3) I believe Keller's guarantees are paid off. His final year has an escalator to the 3 million dollar range based on easily attainable incentives (its basically already been earned).