Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me if I am crazy (last nights non-calls)

Undrafted Free Agent

Please tell me if I am crazy (last nights non-calls)

I am sure no one here will be shy to tell me if they think I am off base...:confused: This is from my blog, and I am shocked no one is talking about the way the game was tipped in favor of the Pats. Have I lost my mind or did these plays totally change the game?????????????

[URL="http://j-e-t-s-jets.blogspot.com/2010/10/pats-steal-another-win.html"]http://j-e-t-s-jets.blogspot.com/2010/10/pats-steal-another-win.html[/URL]

[B]The Pats and Dolphins just faced off on MNF in what should have been a shoot out to decide 2nd place in the hotly contested AFC East. The Pats won by almost 30 points and the game was simply unwatchable.

Let me start off by saying that I am a life long Jets fan and obviously a Patriot hater. But, there is no team in the entire league I hate more than the Dolphins. I am going to point out a few, very significant plays where the referees changed the momentum and coarse of this game. I will be defending the Dolphins (who got robbed) and if anyone thinks that I am being unfair because Tom Brady is a douche, just remember who's side I am taking here.

The game was just starting the second quarter and the Dolphins are leading 7-3. Ricky Williams breaks off a huge run and after his 3rd juke he had a clear shot to the endzone. That would have made the score 14-3 and the Dolphins would have complete control of the game. Instead the final Patriot defender, who missed the tackle badly, sticks out his right leg and BLATANTLY trips Williams. No flag and not a word from the studio commentators even after the second replay. He tripped the guy in the open field and prevented the TD. Another play is forced and immediately Henne throws his 2nd INT. That (ill-advised) pass should have never been necessary.

Now it's 7-6 and the 2nd half kickoff is in the air. #19 Tate takes the ball from the endzone and starts heading up the field. He follows a lane along the sideline. #39 (Yes, Woodhead) of the returning team BLATANTLY and very obviously blocks a Miami player in the back and springs Tate for a 103 yd TD. The kick return was replayed 3 times. The first time showed the return after the illegal block, the second was cut off right before the block happened and the last replay actually edited out the illegal move by showing the beginning and end of the play, conveniently omitting the middle. This TD should have been called back but instead it completely changed the game.

Later in the 3rd quarter Cameron Wake, the young CFL transplant who has been making some serious waves as the newest elite pass rusher in the AFC, bullrushed the patriots LT. His whole existence is about protecting Brady's blindside. Wake got an amazing first step and the savvy tackle knew he had no choice but to grab him and hold on for dear life. It was another BLATANT penalty, and it was the right choice by the linemen. It is more important to protect your franchise than to worry about getting called. The ref threw the flag and after a conference the head referee decided to make him pick it up and announced "there was no holding on the last play". The replay showed exactly what the original ref called... unmistakable HOLDING. Again, not a word from the guys in the booth.

That last play may seem insignificant, but it is a microcosm for what is wrong with the NFL and it's select few superstars. Players like Tom Brady are not allowed to lose in key games and the outcome is controlled by a few, very significant calls and non-calls by the officials. Tom Brady needs to be in the post season as far as the NFL is concerned. If anyone thinks that they would have let the Pats slip to 3rd place in the AFC East, and let their golden child start to become an after thought, you are ****ing nuts.

The 2010 Patriots are simply garbage. They stole the game against the Bills and another against the Dolphins. Their secondary is inexperienced and weak, as is their backfield and defensive line. Teams that are built like them win 3 games all year, and somehow they are 3-1 after four. It must be the genius of Mr. Belichick.[/B]

i noticed a few of those plays.

on the holding call (or non-call), Tirico did raise the question, "Why throw the flag for holding if you're then going to say there wasn't a hold?"

Undrafted Free Agent
    I have been so frustrated watching the calls and non-calls so far this season in the NFL that I am losing my enjoyment of the game. This is one situation where I would like some people to tell me I am crazy and making too big a deal out of this. :confused:

Undrafted Free Agent
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3766418]i noticed a few of those plays.

on the holding call (or non-call), Tirico did raise the question, "Why throw the flag for holding if you're then going to say there wasn't a hold?"[/QUOTE]

I know that was the most insignificant of the 3 but it was like the cherry on top. and they scored immediately on the next play. :steamin:

i was thinking the same thing during the game. those were all penalties and not called but there are games where you have teams being called for over 10 penalties

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=sect313;3766436]i was thinking the same thing during the game. those were all penalties and not called but there are games where you have teams being called for over 10 penalties[/QUOTE]

It's the inconsistency of the officiating crews. Some crews call everything, some not so much.

Jets Insider VIP
    non-calls against the Pats??

well, the ref was Walt "Tuck Rule" Coleman who singlehandedly wearing his Patriot underwear propelled the Cheating Douche Pattycakes into a Super Bowl when he reversed the most obvious fumble in NFL history taking away a hard won victory from the Raiders and handing it to the undeserving cheaters on whose payroll he resides

:bigcry:

Really dunno why the Woodhead block in the back was totally ignored. Seen it as well but it seemed like everyone was so excited that Tate brought the kick back that nobody cared.

Allen was in a good position there but Woodhead just shoved him out.

I did notice the trip on the Williams run but didn't check the replay (DVR).

Bottom line - if a team that lost by 27 starts blaming the officials, they might as well just forfeit the rest of the season. They got their asses kicked in the 2nd half. They didn't even show up.

[B]on the holding call (or non-call), Tirico did raise the question, "Why throw the flag for holding if you're then going to say there wasn't a hold[/B]?"[/QUOTE]

Yup, if Slauson's play (which negated Sanchez' TD run against the Fish) was a penalty, then that certainly should have been also. It's ridiculous. It seemed like we had to score three times against the Dolphins for one to stick and the Patriots are being given TDs. I didn't catch the other non-calls that the OP described b/c I was flipping btwn channels all night long but if the accounts are accurate then that tripping should have been called.

I can understand some calls being missed on returns b/c there are so many guys flying around but if the [B]ball carrier [/B]is tripped then someone should have caught it. If Braylon can get called for tripping while he's upside down then a Pat who sticks out his leg should be called also.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I can't remember what quarter it was in but the Pats had the ball. The play clock was clearly at 0 and the refs never called a delay of game.

[QUOTE=LockeJET;3766736]I can't remember what quarter it was in but the Pats had the ball. The play clock was clearly at 0 and the refs never called a delay of game.[/QUOTE]

that was at the 2 minute warning before the half. they were trying to get a play in and they clearly did not but the refs allowed it

on the holding call (or non-call), Tirico did raise the question, "Why throw the flag for holding if you're then going to say there wasn't a hold?"[/QUOTE]

It was the same exact thing they called Slauson for holding on when Sanchez ran that TD. It was bullsh!t.

The trip should have been called. I was amazed (maybe I shouldn't have been) that the tv guys missed it.

The block in the back on the kick return was not blatant in my mind but I've seen less called. I wouldn't call that a terrible call.

I am becoming increasingly annoyed with penalty calls being made and then the refs huddling and changing the call. You can't review a penalty call so why should the refs get to huddle and have one ref talk another one out of a call? Only when there is a total misinterpretation of the rules should they have that type of huddle.

As long as Brady and Belichick are there, they are always going to get coddled.

I agree the refs control too much of the outcome of the game and can make very arbitrary decisions on what IS or ISN'T a penalty (offensive holding and defensive PI can be called on virtually every play)

As you mentioned if done at key moments the refs can control momentum and outcome of any game...

I like to believe they are doing the best they can and simply make mistakes (which I can live with) and it's really not about keeping Brady in the playoff's but sometimes you really have to wonder.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3766759]I am becoming increasingly annoyed with penalty calls being made and then the refs huddling and changing the call. You can't review a penalty call so why should the refs get to huddle and have one ref talk another one out of a call? Only when there is a total misinterpretation of the rules should they have that type of huddle.[/QUOTE]

Or on receptions where they have more than one angle of whether it was a completion or not.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

All three of those officiating miscues were terrible non-calls.

I guarantee you the Jets would have got flagged for all three of those plays.

The funny thing is they were all BLATANT penalties.

So you didn't notice the BS Pass interference call, where Best was inside McCourtney was outside, the throw was outside, so Best goes for the ball, and goes through Mcourtney who was looking at the ball, and of coarse gets called for a bad PI on 3rd down.

Or you didn't notice the phantom holding call, that called back a 40 yard reception to Hernandez in the 1st quarter. And I guess you didn't notice the chock hold take down on Warren on the Dolphins first TD.

And as long as you are bringing up illegal blocks in the back on KR, watch Spillers TD vs the Pats the week before, there are 2 of them at the same time in front of the ref. I am sure with your complete unbiased Pats blog, you didn't notice that either.

By the way watch to see if Woodhead blocks the player down, in the back, it looks like the player took a bad angle and was out of the play, and Woodhead was barely touching him. It would have been the ultimate of the cheap calls.

I am glad you stated you hate the Dolphins more than the Pats, but proceeded to ignore all the calls the Fins got, which were way more than the pats.