Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyler Thigpen could be the future of the Dolphins

Tyler Thigpen could be the future of the Dolphins

Over the past few weeks, indications have emerged that the Dolphins aren't thrilled with the performance of quarterback Chad Henne. Last month, Vic Carucci of NFL.com characterized former V.P. of football operations and current high-level consultant Bill Parcells as "very disappointed" with the 2008 second-round pick.

In garbage time on Monday night against the Patriots, Henne was yanked for Tyler Thigpen.

On Tuesday morning's SportsCenter, ESPN's Chris Mortensen acknowledged that the team is concerned about Henne. Mort also suggested that Chad Pennington could eventually replace Henne.

But the 34-year-old Pennginton isn't and would be the future. Mort says that there's talk that Pennington would "bridge the gap" to Tyler Thigpen.

Originally a seventh-round pick of the Vikings, Thigpen was waived in the hopes of slipping him through the to practice squad. But the Chiefs pounced.

In 2008, Thigpen started 11 games, compiling a passer rating of 76.0, via 18 touchdown passes and 12 interceptions. The Dolphins traded for Thigpen, whom the new regime in K.C. didn't want, during the 2009 season.

Last night, Thigpen completed only two of six passes for 15 yards and one interception in garbage time. His passer rating was 2.8.

Though he'll have to do a lot better to become the latest heir to the throne once occupied by Dan Marino, Henne's failure would mean that the Dolphins will have wasted another second-round pick via draft or trade in an effort to find the replacement to Marino, the Hall of Famer who nearly slipped through to the second round in 1983.

So from A.J. Feely to Daunte Culpepper to John Beck to Chad Henne to Pat White, the Dolphins have continued to swing and miss in the second round when it comes to picking quarterbacks.

Don't know if this was posted but HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL:baghead:

oh yeah, Henne > Sanchez

Chad Pennington will "right the ship" and take the Dolphins to a wildcard game! NY Jets win the division.

Mort has no clue..

Chad Pennington would have won that game last night.

[QUOTE=LIDeadHead;3766688]Chad Pennington would have won that game last night.[/QUOTE]

Right. As long as he was playing kickoffs and playing o-line on punt / FG's.

[QUOTE=Gholstons Revenge;3766655]Over the past few weeks, indications have emerged that the Dolphins aren't thrilled with the performance of quarterback Chad Henne. Last month, Vic Carucci of NFL.com characterized former V.P. of football operations and current high-level consultant Bill Parcells as "very disappointed" with the 2008 second-round pick.

In garbage time on Monday night against the Patriots, Henne was yanked for Tyler Thigpen.

On Tuesday morning's SportsCenter, ESPN's Chris Mortensen acknowledged that the team is concerned about Henne. Mort also suggested that Chad Pennington could eventually replace Henne.

But the 34-year-old Pennginton isn't and would be the future. Mort says that there's talk that Pennington would "bridge the gap" to Tyler Thigpen.

Originally a seventh-round pick of the Vikings, Thigpen was waived in the hopes of slipping him through the to practice squad. But the Chiefs pounced.

In 2008, Thigpen started 11 games, compiling a passer rating of 76.0, via 18 touchdown passes and 12 interceptions. The Dolphins traded for Thigpen, whom the new regime in K.C. didn't want, during the 2009 season.

Last night, Thigpen completed only two of six passes for 15 yards and one interception in garbage time. His passer rating was 2.8.

Though he'll have to do a lot better to become the latest heir to the throne once occupied by Dan Marino, Henne's failure would mean that the Dolphins will have wasted another second-round pick via draft or trade in an effort to find the replacement to Marino, the Hall of Famer who nearly slipped through to the second round in 1983.

So from A.J. Feely to Daunte Culpepper to John Beck to Chad Henne to Pat White, the Dolphins have continued to swing and miss in the second round when it comes to picking quarterbacks.

Don't know if this was posted but HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL:baghead:[/QUOTE]

By this argument Sanchez would have been benched last year and Clemens would be our starter.

If Thigpen is named starter this year, Sparano will be fired. Please.

[QUOTE=LV2;3766697]By this argument Sanchez would have been benched last year and Clemens would be our starter.

If Thigpen is named starter this year, Sparano will be fired. Please.[/QUOTE]

Henne 4 year starter in college and his 3rd year in the league....

Sanchez 1 year starter in college 2nd year in the league...

Henne would be a nice addition to our practice squad.

Hall Of Fame
    i like thigpen..he's like KC's Ratliff but the kid can play if developed.

I sure hope that Tyler Thigpen is the Dolphins QB.

Game. Set. Match.

Next problem?

Weird. Last week he was the heir to Marino and a budding decade rivalry between him and Sanchez and the next week he is done? :eek:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Magnus;3766783]Weird. Last week he was the heir to Marino and a budding decade rivalry between him and Sanchez and the next week he is done? :eek:[/QUOTE]

+1 Both sanchez and henne are young prospects..at this point in time sanchez is ahead of henne but henne shows decent enough talent to continue him starting this season.

[QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3766788]+1 Both sanchez and henne are young prospects..at this point in time sanchez is ahead of henne but henne shows decent enough talent to continue him starting this season.[/QUOTE]

I agree that he's not done yet, but w/ their defense/RBs/Brandon Marshall if he doesn't win their next game I'd pretty much expect Pennington to get a chance to salvage their season. Of course, no one knows what he has left in his arm, but he's always going to be smart/accurate enough to not throw away a game (a la Henne last night). Personally, I guess I'm rooting for Henne to play just well enough to keep his job but not fully right the ship down there/ actually compete for the division.

I actually think Thigpen is a pretty good QB. He can scramble too.

Henne sucks. I hope they stay with him all season long.

It's Mark's 2nd year and so far he's way ahead of Henne from last year in his 2nd year with the Dolphins. That being said, Henne's not going anywhere for a while unless they have last nights disaster a few more times.

All Pro
    I love Tyler Thigpen (everybody - Rich Eisen). I really do. Its a crime he hasn't been given the command of an offense yet.

I honestly always thought it would come to this one day. Henne's been "meh" his whole pro-career. He continues to make poor decisions. The only people impressed with Henne were the TV journalists who really don't do their homework. I heard someone make a comment about Anderson being a very accurate QB earlier this season. Holy fck.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=Magnus;3766783]Weird. Last week he was the heir to Marino and a budding decade rivalry between him and Sanchez and the next week he is done? :eek:[/QUOTE]

There's been talk about the Fins being maybe not unhappy, but "not content" with Henne since week 1 or 2. Mort's supposed to be a good friends with Parcells and reported that Parcells was disppointed in Henne.

I think this is an extreme case of overreaction by the media and most Dolphins fans.

Henne has had a short career in the league. Not to mention that he is in a sophomore year, a time when QB are prone to struggle and become inconsistent.

The problems exposed last night are more fundamental than his performance or the special teams. They have two good RB's, yet they don't run many rush plays; they have him throw more often to gain momentum and then they revert to a Wildcat formation that helped compensate for the deficiencies of Pennington two years ago and which every team now is able defend against. This puts an already below average play-action motion Henne at a disadvantage. Then he is blamed when he fails to convert 2nd or 3rd and +15 obvious passing position.

However, I do think he has issues with coverages. Perhaps he fares better against us because we blitz so often, reducing his need to identify them.