Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63

Thread: Most misrepresented socio-demographic trend

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,162

    Most misrepresented socio-demographic trend

    Conventional wisdom is that the election is being driven by anger and blind anti-incumbent fervor. Nonsense. Overwhelmingly, it is Democratic incumbents, not Republicans, who are under siege. This is a national revolt against the Democratic governance of the last two years. One must understand that “anger” is the explanation du jour when Republicans win big. The last wave election (1994), for example, was dubbed the Year of the Angry White Male — despite the fact that there was not a scintilla of polling evidence supporting that characterization. Of course the electorate is angry this time around. But it is not inchoate, irrational anger — a “temper tantrum” as ABC News anchor Peter Jennings called the 1994 Republican sweep — but a highly pointed, perfectly rational anger at the ideological overreach and incompetence of the governing Democrats.

    -Charles Krauthammer

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,162
    Most shameless attack campaign (national). President Obama suggesting that the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is secretly using foreign money to fund its campaign ads. There’s not a shred of evidence that this is true. When Bob Schieffer asked David Axelrod for evidence, Axelrod responded, “Well, do you have any evidence that it’s not, Bob?” That’s like some lunatic claiming that Obama secretly says Muslim prayers at night that no one can see and no one can hear. You ask: What’s your evidence? He says: What’s yours that he is not? You say: No one’s ever seen or heard him do that. He says: Aha, that’s exactly my point.

    -C Krauthammer

    this guy is the best

  3. #3
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    maybe you should wait til nov 5th to gloat.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Conventional wisdom is that the election is being driven by anger and blind anti-incumbent fervor. Nonsense. Overwhelmingly, it is Democratic incumbents, not Republicans, who are under siege. This is a national revolt against the Democratic governance of the last two years. One must understand that “anger” is the explanation du jour when Republicans win big. The last wave election (1994), for example, was dubbed the Year of the Angry White Male — despite the fact that there was not a scintilla of polling evidence supporting that characterization. Of course the electorate is angry this time around. But it is not inchoate, irrational anger — a “temper tantrum” as ABC News anchor Peter Jennings called the 1994 Republican sweep — but a highly pointed, perfectly rational anger at the ideological overreach and incompetence of the governing Democrats.

    -Charles Krauthammer
    The election is being driven by self interest. Bad economy and large portions of the public feel uncertain about their economic future.

    Good economy and incumbents do well. Bad economy and incumbents are thrown out.

    This is less about political philosophy than it is about a lack of results and the perception that the party in power is focused on the wrong things.

  5. #5
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    maybe you should wait til nov 5th to gloat.
    I agree. I don't think it's going to be nearly the ass-kicking most Republicans I know think it will.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I agree. I don't think it's going to be nearly the ass-kicking most Republicans I know think it will.
    there are still 3 weeks to go, so anything can happen, but if the election were held today IMO it'd be a bloodbath forthe Democrats. They rammed a ridiculous healthcare bill down the throats of the American peole that they didn't want. Obama is a modern day Saul Alinsky. He's a socialist pig who is going down.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    maybe you should wait til nov 5th to gloat.
    Why, what's wrong w/ November 3?

    Don't worry, the darkest blue areas will remain a deep lavender.
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 10-16-2010 at 11:55 AM.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I agree. I don't think it's going to be nearly the ass-kicking most Republicans I know think it will.
    I agree too, it depends how many "principled" people enable (D)!

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    23,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Most shameless attack campaign (national). President Obama suggesting that the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is secretly using foreign money to fund its campaign ads. There’s not a shred of evidence that this is true. When Bob Schieffer asked David Axelrod for evidence, Axelrod responded, “Well, do you have any evidence that it’s not, Bob?” That’s like some lunatic claiming that Obama secretly says Muslim prayers at night that no one can see and no one can hear. You ask: What’s your evidence? He says: What’s yours that he is not? You say: No one’s ever seen or heard him do that. He says: Aha, that’s exactly my point.

    -C Krauthammer

    this guy is the best
    What's funny is that the CoC were the biggest lobbyists for the stimulus and now help fund the movement that is anti-stimulus.

    Can't make this stuff up. Nothing better that outraging yourselves

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    there are still 3 weeks to go, so anything can happen, but if the election were held today IMO it'd be a bloodbath forthe Democrats. They rammed a ridiculous healthcare bill down the throats of the American peole that they didn't want. Obama is a modern day Saul Alinsky. He's a socialist pig who is going down.
    Funny, I dont remember you complaining when the Republicans rammed the Iraq War down the American peoples throat when they did not want it. I remember Cheney sayingg it doesnt matter what the people think.

    I do however agree that the healthcare bill is ridiculous. The American people wanted a Public Option. The President campaigned on a public option. He did not deliver. He failed.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island & Section 337
    Posts
    4,859
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Funny, I dont remember you complaining when the Republicans rammed the Iraq War down the American peoples throat when they did not want it. I remember Cheney sayingg it doesnt matter what the people think.

    I do however agree that the healthcare bill is ridiculous. The American people wanted a Public Option. The President campaigned on a public option. He did not deliver. He failed.
    Iraq had bipartisan support in the Congress.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,731
    Quote Originally Posted by HDCentStOhio View Post
    Iraq had bipartisan support in the Congress.
    Thats not a requirement. The Dems usually dont fall rank in file and vote strictly with the party the way Republicans do. Good or Bad , its a fact.
    The fact is the healthcare bill had the votes legally needed to pass. Period.

    Was it unpopular? Yes. Just as the Iraq war was.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    The election is being driven by self interest. Bad economy and large portions of the public feel uncertain about their economic future.

    Good economy and incumbents do well. Bad economy and incumbents are thrown out.

    This is less about political philosophy than it is about a lack of results and the perception that the party in power is focused on the wrong things.
    I respectfully disagree- this wave of anger is directed at the Keynsian tax tax tax, & spend policies of the Obama/Pelosi/Reid administration. It's a smack-back at the liar in the White House, who ran as a centrist & immediately lurched to the left upon his inauguration. This is a center/right country & Obama is a left wing academic nut job

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,162
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Funny, I dont remember you complaining when the Republicans rammed the Iraq War down the American peoples throat when they did not want it. I remember Cheney sayingg it doesnt matter what the people think.

    I do however agree that the healthcare bill is ridiculous. The American people wanted a Public Option. The President campaigned on a public option. He did not deliver. He failed.
    you'll have to show me a poll where the public wanted the public option...you are obviously a left wing socialist

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    you'll have to show me a poll where the public wanted the public option...you are obviously a left wing socialist
    Yes, I am a left wing socialist and proud of it. And as a left wing socialist i can say Obama is not.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101902451.html
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=112818960
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_449820.html

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,565
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Send me some of your money, I have none. p.S. I'll be sending you my son orthodontist bill. Thank you in advance, My lazy ass self

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    23,165
    Quote Originally Posted by acepepe View Post
    Send me some of your money, I have none. p.S. I'll be sending you my son orthodontist bill. Thank you in advance, My lazy ass self
    I know. Just do what I did on Thursday when I went to the ER twice and had a CAT scan and a spinal tap done.

    Don;t pay for anything. They'll send me a bill. Guess where it's end up? In the ol' trash can.

    Why? Because you people are going to foot the bill for me. Thanks, suckers...just keep health care the way it is

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,400
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    congratualtions...left wing socialism has once again been proven as an absolute failure thanks to obama, axelrod, jarrett, etc...

    you should be proud...

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,731
    Quote Originally Posted by acepepe View Post
    Send me some of your money, I have none. p.S. I'll be sending you my son orthodontist bill. Thank you in advance, My lazy ass self
    If you cant afford it, the rest of us will end up paying for it anyways. That is what happens with the system you love so much right now. But you already knew that.

    Government health care is not a "hand out". Do you consider senior citizens who rely om medicare "lazy asses"?
    Maybe you havent noticed , but health care in most civilized western nations is provided by the government. And shhh! dont tell anyone, but quite a number of them are actually doing better than us in most health care standards.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    congratualtions...left wing socialism has once again been proven as an absolute failure thanks to obama, axelrod, jarrett, etc...

    you should be proud...
    Im very dissapointed.
    Obama failed us. He promised a public option and did not deliver. He caved in to the insurance companies. I guess hes not that much of a socialist as you might think.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us