Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NPR Fires Juan Williams After O'Reilly Appearance

JetsInsider.com Legend

NPR Fires Juan Williams After O'Reilly Appearance

NPR Fires Juan Williams After O'Reilly Appearance

National Public Radio fired Fox News contributor Juan Williams on Wednesday after a Monday night appearance on Fox News' "The O'Reilly Factor" in which Williams said that it makes him nervous to fly on airplanes with devoutly-clad Muslims.

"I mean, look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country," Williams told host Bill O'Reilly during a discussion on the dilemma between fighting jihadists and fears about average Muslims.

"But when I get on a plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they're identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous," Williams said.

Williams also commented on remarks by Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad warning Americans that the fight is coming to the U.S.

"He said the war with Muslims, America's war is just beginning, first drop of blood. I don't think there's any way to get away from these facts," Williams said.

NPR issued a statement saying that it was "terminating" Williams' contract over the remarks.

"Tonight we gave Juan Williams notice that we are terminating his contract as a senior news analyst for NPR News," CEO Vivian Schiller and Senior Vice President for News Ellen Weiss said in a statement.

"Juan has been a valuable contributor to NPR and public radio for many years and we did not make this decision lightly or without regret. However, his remarks on 'The O'Reilly Factor' this past Monday were inconsistent with our editorial standards and practices, and undermined his credibility as a news analyst with NPR," they said. "We regret these circumstances and thank Juan Williams for his many years of service to NPR and public radio."

The conversation with O'Reilly stemmed from a well-publicized argument the previous week between O'Reilly and "The View" hosts Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg, who walked off their own set when O'Reilly said, "Muslims killed us on 9/11."

The comment had been an explanation by O'Reilly why the majority of Americans don't want a mosque housed in an Islamic cultural center built near Ground Zero.

The women, who argued that Oklahoma City bomber Tim McVeigh wasn't a Muslim, returned after O'Reilly said that he was -- perhaps inartfully -- talking about Muslim extremists.

The conversation has been fodder for both shows. Goldberg appeared Wednesday night on "On the Record With Greta Van Susteren," and said when she cursed at O'Reilly on air -- a word that was bleeped for broadcast -- she knew she was beyond reason and had to leave.

"He wasn't thoughtful and he knew he wasn't thoughtful and once he said, 'if I offended someone I apologize' ... it showed me that he recognized it," she said.

"But he knew that for us it was not ok. ... He got what he wanted and I don't feel bad about doing it. Should I have sat and just bit my tongue? I don't think I could because it was too much like all the things I heard about black folks and women," Goldberg said, adding that she has no hard feelings and planned to appear on O'Reilly's show in a few weeks..

Williams, a liberal African American commentator who has written extensively on civil rights in America, previously got in trouble with NPR for comments he made while appearing on "The O'Reilly Factor" in February 2009. At that time, he described first lady Michelle Obama as having a "Stokely Carmichael in a designer dress thing going."

Carmichael was a black activist in the 1960s who coined the phrase "Black Power."

After the Carmichael quote, Williams' position at NPR was changed from staff correspondent to national analyst.

He has declined to comment since his dismissal.
    Thoughts?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Thoughts?
    I was watching when he said it.

It immediately reminded me of when Jesse Jackson said:

"I hate to admit it, but I have reached a stage in my life that if I am walking down a dark street late at night and I see that the person behind me is white, I subconsciously feel relieved."

Anyone recall what job Jesse was fired from after that remark ??

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

this link has a video with the exchange and comments:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot...remarks-on-fox

in a nutshell- wow....if this guy was bashing Catholics or southern Baptists they'd give him a raise...

funny- i was listening to NPR yesterday and a bunch of leftist "academic" economists talking about inequality this, and successful people bad that....I'm sure that host ain't gonna get fired...

on a side note- saw a clip of behar interviewing richard dryfuess on her talk show....he asked dryfuess how he prepared to play the part of Dick Cheney in a movie- he basically said it was easy, he tapped into his "inner hitler"...i expected behar to be incensed and leave the set but it was all sh!ts and giggles...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 10-21-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    I was watching when he said it.

It immediately reminded me of when Jesse Jackson said:

"I hate to admit it, but I have reached a stage in my life that if I am walking down a dark street late at night and I see that the person behind me is white, I subconsciously feel relieved."

Anyone recall what job Jesse was fired from after that remark ??
    he paid the same price as he did when he called NYC hymie-town....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Will NPR fire Nina Totenberg for wishing Jesse Helms would get AIDS?
    By: J.P. Freire
    Associate Commentary Editor
    10/21/10 11:55 AM EDT

Figuring out what’s inconsistent with NPR’s editorial standards can be awful difficult. The network terminated the contract for Fox News contributor Juan Williams because of a comment about Muslims, but apparently has yet to take a similar action against Nina Totenberg. From Reason’s Michael Moynihan:

Check out this clip, from way back in 1995, of NPR’s Nina Totenberg telling the host of PBS’s Inside Washington that if there was “retributive justice” in the world the (admittedly loathsome) Jesse Helms would “get AIDS from a transfusion, or one of his grandchildren will get it.” Totenberg is still NPR’s legal affairs correspondent.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7msrF1V4NeY

All Pro
    Thoughts?
    I think it is preposterous that his contract was terminated for voicing his opinion outside of his workplace.

Hall Of Fame
    Thoughts?
    Liberals are exceptionally intolerant, especially from the official party line.

Ironic, given the non-political definition of the word "liberal".

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I've always respected Juan Williams. Always thought he seems way too intelligent and rational to be a liberal.

Hall Of Fame
    NPR gets about 10% of its financing from the Federal Government. I enjoy NPR but if they are going to deny 1st amendment rights to what is essentially an Op Ed contributor I think the Federal Government should withdraw their portion of the funding. If their advertisers are okay with it I'm okay with it but not the portion funded by taxpayer money.

All Pro
    Im surprised NPR fired him. Its too bad. I think its unfair. What he said was idiotic but not worth firing him. Not a big Juan Williams fan. Listen to him on NPR. Speaks very differently than he does on FOX. Then again its all about the $$$$.

Hall Of Fame
    $$$$$$$ What the FU*K are you talking about?????

NPR, Which I am a MEMBER here in Charlotte and donate to will NO longer get my money.

NPR, Like AIR America and almost ALL liberal media venture can't survivie without subsidy.

NPR gets their $$$$$$ from national funding.

I love CAR TALK but from here on in FU#K NPR!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Who listens to the radio anymore?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Who listens to the radio anymore?

I do...I listen to NPR on Saturdays. Car Talk, What do you know, This American life, Wait Wait don't tell me etc...

They will NOT get another nickel from me. Like a liberal, I will take their services for free and expect someone else to pay!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I do...I listen to NPR on Saturdays. Car Talk, What do you know, This American life, Wait Wait don't tell me etc...
    Really? Are you driving somewhere when your listening?

I never understood talk radio. I used to work with a guy that would listen to it all day, drove me crazy. I like a little Howard or one of the Sirius comedy stations...but you guys must be pretty hardcore to listen to a bunch of gasbags espouse their opinions via radio waves.

I'd want to off myself after a few hours...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    I've always respected Juan Williams. Always thought he seems way too intelligent and rational to be a liberal.
    gotta wonder- since that white woman who wished aids upon helms grandchildren still works for national propaganda radio and juan williams was fired, how soon before jesse, al and the rest of the rainbow coalition point out the obvious racism at hand....

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    gotta wonder- since that white woman who wished aids upon helms grandchildren still works for national propaganda radio and juan williams was fired, how soon before jesse, al and the rest of the rainbow coalition point out the obvious racism at hand....
    NPR now has NO black men on the air. Predominantly white jewish middle aged Americans.

The tolerant left....

Where is the outrage in the black community.

F**CK NPR!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    NPR now has NO black men on the air.
    Wait. How do you know? It's radio.

You trying to say all black people sound the same?

All League
    This p.c crap is getting out of hand.Juan Williams just said what we all would think in that situation.This firing is terrible

People wonder why the repubs are gonna clean the dems clock in November(and this is coming from someone who voted for Obama) is that the majority of Americans are tired of having this crap pushed down our throat.

If your for the Arizona immigration bill your a racist
    If you question the wisdom of a mosque near ground zero you are a racist
    We now get Spanish shoved down our throat(try living in South Florida) and getting turned down for 2 jobs because you are not bilingual.
    Can't say Merry Christmas anymore for fear of offending someone.

but it's cool to bash Christians you never hear anyone complain about that.

I think Bill O can be a a$$...but what did he say that was so outrageous.Muslims did commit the crimes on 9/11.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    We now get Spanish shoved down our throat(try living in South Florida)
    Doesn't "Florida" mean "flowers" in Spanish anyway? :dunni:

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Doesn't "Florida" mean "flowers" in Spanish anyway? :dunni:
    And York is a city in England, hence the name New York.

Irony phail.