Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 76

Thread: Cam Newton

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,086
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cam Newton

    Can this guy be a successful NFL quarterback?

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    didn't stop tim tebow, vince young or many others from being 1st round picks

    I personally wouldn't draft him to play QB but don't think there's a ceiling to Cam newton's draft stock, as long as he keeps winning.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    didn't stop tim tebow, vince young or many others from being 1st round picks

    I personally wouldn't draft him to play QB but don't think there's a ceiling to Cam newton's draft stock, as long as he keeps winning.
    I see the topic of our next great e-battle has been decided.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gary Danielson who I think is a terrifiic color commentator called Newton "the best QB prospect in the SEC in recent years outside of Matthew Stafford"...

    I think he definitely has that leadership thing going for him, has an NFL body and he has the arm. Now it's a question of how you can develop all these tools...

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he keeps winning games at the rate he is now, he'll probably be taken very early.

    Certainly has all the arm and athleticism you could ever ask for. Not sure about his decision making and accuracy, but somebody out there will think they can coach him up.

    One thing I'm sure of -- he's damn fun to watch and I hope he lands in a place where he can succeed in the NFL. But he has Oakland written all over him.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ ha, ya OAK for sure.


    I knew this topic was eventually gonna surface. Honestly? I'm actually surprised that many of you think he has a potential NFL career as a Starting QB.

    When I watch him (seems likely weekly now i catch the AUB games) Nothing about his play looks quaterback...-ish. Dominating? yes. Physical, big, powerful, yes yes and yes. But there's nothing pro-level about the way he plays. IMO anyways.

    Actually reminds me of what Brad Smith looked like at Mizzou (but clearly a bigger dude.)

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    ^^ ha, ya OAK for sure.


    I knew this topic was eventually gonna surface. Honestly? I'm actually surprised that many of you think he has a potential NFL career as a Starting QB.

    When I watch him (seems likely weekly now i catch the AUB games) Nothing about his play looks quaterback...-ish. Dominating? yes. Physical, big, powerful, yes yes and yes. But there's nothing pro-level about the way he plays. IMO anyways.

    Actually reminds me of what Brad Smith looked like at Mizzou (but clearly a bigger dude.)
    See, this is where I'm coming from. Dude looks nothing like a QB, but he is a special football player. He's gonna need some real coaching to become a legit franchise QB, IMHO.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tremendous physical tools, horrible mechanics, but unlike most of these scrambling QBs, I do think he makes more of an attempt to be an actual QB, he goes through progressions, usually has his eyes downfield even when he takes off. I see potential in his game. Moreso then I have with some of these previous scrambling QB's.

    With that said, he needs to go back to school for his Senior season. Too raw. And even then he's not an NFL ready talent, he's going to need some time to be coached up by an NFL style coach.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,674
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Gary Danielson who I think is a terrifiic color commentator called Newton "the best QB prospect in the SEC in recent years outside of Matthew Stafford"...

    I think he definitely has that leadership thing going for him, has an NFL body and he has the arm. Now it's a question of how you can develop all these tools...
    I don't think he is a better QB prospect than Mallet right now.....he seems like a better version of Brad Smith...with the success Smith has been having with his role, I am sure some team will look to use him like that...and see if he may develop as an every down QB.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,654
    Post Thanks / Like
    i can not see how it is even a debatable topic. This guy will be a starting NFL QB. He will be a nightmare to defend. Much more talented than Vince Young, and if you see him on the field the natural leadership shines.

    Were there questions about Tebow, yes, but that was after years of playing in the SEC and not progreessing towards a more pro style skill set. Newton has
    played 8 games including one with the Gators. With another 20 games in the SEC this guy will be a top 5 pick.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    i can not see how it is even a debatable topic. This guy will be a starting NFL QB. He will be a nightmare to defend. Much more talented than Vince Young, and if you see him on the field the natural leadership shines.

    Were there questions about Tebow, yes, but that was after years of playing in the SEC and not progreessing towards a more pro style skill set. Newton has
    played 8 games including one with the Gators. With another 20 games in the SEC this guy will be a top 5 pick.

    very debatable- he's a great athlete, not a great QB....physical skills are better than Tebow's but his body of work and overall intangibles are fractional compared to Tebow...

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Groton
    Posts
    2,843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    i can not see how it is even a debatable topic. This guy will be a starting NFL QB. He will be a nightmare to defend. Much more talented than Vince Young, and if you see him on the field the natural leadership shines.

    Were there questions about Tebow, yes, but that was after years of playing in the SEC and not progreessing towards a more pro style skill set. Newton has
    played 8 games including one with the Gators. With another 20 games in the SEC this guy will be a top 5 pick.
    You must not have watched VY in college much. That guy was twice as scary to defend than Cam. Cam shouldn't even be in the same sentence as Vince.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    very debatable- he's a great athlete, not a great QB....physical skills are better than Tebow's but his body of work and overall intangibles are fractional compared to Tebow...
    Am I wrong in saying a spread option QB still hasn't done **** in the NFL?

    I know it's a relatively new scheme, but...

    P.S. Fair assessment, but he's still going 1st round.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    If he keeps winning games at the rate he is now, he'll probably be taken very early.

    Certainly has all the arm and athleticism you could ever ask for. Not sure about his decision making and accuracy, but somebody out there will think they can coach him up.

    One thing I'm sure of -- he's damn fun to watch and I hope he lands in a place where he can succeed in the NFL. But he has Oakland written all over him.
    First you have to see how the Qb situation around the league shakes out. Lets see what veteran Qb becomes available. Im watching the Bengal Qb situation closely. Carson Palmer has looked very shaky this year but I defintely roll the dice on him- he looks like he needs a serious change of scenery. Dolphins go Qb with their first pick and what future does chad Henne have there.

    With that said, IF Cam Newton is still on board when raiders pick in the second, you would have to take him. Raiders are really just a Center away from completing their oline. They are incredible young at all the skill positions on offense. Let the qb grow with these young players.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    First you have to see how the Qb situation around the league shakes out. Lets see what veteran Qb becomes available. Im watching the Bengal Qb situation closely. Carson Palmer has looked very shaky this year but I defintely roll the dice on him- he looks like he needs a serious change of scenery. Dolphins go Qb with their first pick and what future does chad Henne have there.

    With that said, IF Cam Newton is still on board when raiders pick in the second, you would have to take him. Raiders are really just a Center away from completing their oline. They are incredible young at all the skill positions on offense. Let the qb grow with these young players.
    He's not making it to the second. Zero percent chance.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    He's not making it to the second. Zero percent chance.
    i don't agree with taking him in the first but a very good friend of mine was at the game Friday and his, as well as everyone else's, opinion was Newton is a first round pick....

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,050
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    First you have to see how the Qb situation around the league shakes out. Lets see what veteran Qb becomes available. Im watching the Bengal Qb situation closely. Carson Palmer has looked very shaky this year but I defintely roll the dice on him- he looks like he needs a serious change of scenery. Dolphins go Qb with their first pick and what future does chad Henne have there.

    With that said, IF Cam Newton is still on board when raiders pick in the second, you would have to take him. Raiders are really just a Center away from completing their oline. They are incredible young at all the skill positions on offense. Let the qb grow with these young players.
    You mean Jason Campbell isn't a perfect fit for the Raiders? Get some consistency and maybe you'll be taken seriously every now and then.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,713
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    You mean Jason Campbell isn't a perfect fit for the Raiders? Get some consistency and maybe you'll be taken seriously every now and then.
    Jason Campbell is the new Jim Plunkett.


    or was it Ken Stabler??

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    He's not making it to the second. Zero percent chance.
    well i'm no one, but I still think Newton goes well into the 2nd rnd.

    We'll see where the chips fall in a couple months, but scouts and pro-staff will put him through a battery of tests, he'll look as raw as he should, and Luck, Locker and probably Mallet will still go before him.


    ..and no one picking in the bottom half of the 1st needs Newton.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    well i'm no one, but I still think Newton goes well into the 2nd rnd.

    We'll see where the chips fall in a couple months, but scouts and pro-staff will put him through a battery of tests, he'll look as raw as he should, and Luck, Locker and probably Mallet will still go before him.


    ..and no one picking in the bottom half of the 1st needs Newton.
    The Tebow Effect. All it's gonna take is one team to fall in love. I agree with not taking him in round 1, but it's gonna happen.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us