Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cam Newton

he probobly should go in the 2nd, but i can see a team in the bottom 15 taking him to groom for a year or two

the qb needy teams are going to be interesting to watch this off season: do the bengals cut ties with the overrated palmer? does luck come out and will the bills finish with too good of a record to get him/do they stay with fitzpatrick? and what are the titans gonna do?!?!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrebetCT1192 View Post
    he probobly should go in the 2nd, but i can see a team in the bottom 15 taking him to groom for a year or two

the qb needy teams are going to be interesting to watch this off season: do the bengals cut ties with the overrated palmer? does luck come out and will the bills finish with too good of a record to get him/do they stay with fitzpatrick? and what are the titans gonna do?!?!
    Luck will come out...and Carolina will jump on him if they have the first pick...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    The Tebow Effect. All it's gonna take is one team to fall in love. I agree with not taking him in round 1, but it's gonna happen.
    Ya but last year there was no one behind Bradford. Clausen had some media inflation, but that proved to be just that, and you can't compare what Tebow did to Newton. Maybe he's gold, maybe he's not, but he doesn't have the body of work Tebow did.

This year, there's is again the bonafide Sam Bradford (I think) in Andrew Luck that will likely go in spots 1-3, and then I think both Locker and Mallet will fill those 5-15 spots for teams willing to spend a pick on a QB.

Really, who we talking about here?

Probable:
    CIN
    ARZ
    SF
    TEN

Possible:
    MIN
    CAR
    SEA
    BUF (clearly QB play isn't the only reason they're losers)
    OAK
    WSH

I see ARZ and SF as about the best shot he's got. I think TEN's done with an option based QB after the Young experiment, CIN i suppose. Depends on how takes over there.

i see mallett going to arizona and locker going to minnesota, both teams will miss out on mike vick in the off season...i can really see tennessee or cincy going after cam newton but its all up in the air for now

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Ya but last year there was no one behind Bradford. Clausen had some media inflation, but that proved to be just that, and you can't compare what Tebow did to Newton. Maybe he's gold, maybe he's not, but he doesn't have the body of work Tebow did.

This year, there's is again the bonafide Sam Bradford (I think) in Andrew Luck that will likely go in spots 1-3, and then I think both Locker and Mallet will fill those 5-15 spots for teams willing to spend a pick on a QB.

Really, who we talking about here?

Probable:
    CIN
    ARZ
    SF
    TEN

Possible:
    MIN
    CAR
    SEA
    BUF (clearly QB play isn't the only reason they're losers)
    OAK
    WSH

I see ARZ and SF as about the best shot he's got. I think TEN's done with an option based QB after the Young experiment, CIN i suppose. Depends on how takes over there.
    I would take Newton before I would take Locker, but that's just personal preference I guess.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I would take Newton before I would take Locker, but that's just personal preference I guess.
    maybe, i just feel there are a couple franchises that presently (with the affect of their fanbases) can't afford a QB experiment.

From a pedigree standpoint, Locker is the safer and likely pick in those situations.

Practice Squad
    I enjoy watching Newton play. His physical tools make him look like superman at Collage level. He's to keen to take off and run and runs over and round guys. That won't work on a consistent basis in the Pro's. Some one will lay the lumber and Cam's out for 5 week. He's like Brad Smith 2.0.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Gary Danielson who I think is a terrifiic color commentator called Newton "the best QB prospect in the SEC in recent years outside of Matthew Stafford"...

I think he definitely has that leadership thing going for him, has an NFL body and he has the arm. Now it's a question of how you can develop all these tools...
    No way Newton or stafford have the pro upside that Ryan Mallet does.
    Danielson and Lundquist are a joke and only spout the common hype. They actually make CBS look ignorant on college football.

Veteran
    i see mallett going to arizona and locker going to minnesota, both teams will miss out on mike vick in the off season...i can really see tennessee or cincy going after cam newton but its all up in the air for now
    Jerry Jones will trade up to take Mallet if he has to. If they don't win in more games, they won't have to trade at all.
    Bank on this dude.

I'm not so sure Locker goes 1st round....

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    maybe, i just feel there are a couple franchises that presently (with the affect of their fanbases) can't afford a QB experiment.

From a pedigree standpoint, Locker is the safer and likely pick in those situations.
    How is Locker not just as big an experiment? If not bigger?

For all his tools and experience, he's never put up any kind of numbers to justify his draft stock. This was supposed to be his breakout year, and it's more of the same from him. He has way too much bad football on film at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    You mean Jason Campbell isn't a perfect fit for the Raiders? Get some consistency and maybe you'll be taken seriously every now and then.
    Again just because you base your opinion off of his numbers he has produced and than you see for yourself what he is really all about. I'm now saying they need an upgrade at QB. What does that have to do with consistancy . Its called seeing a player long enough now to make a more accurate assessment of player. An admitting they can do better at that position. This raider team is ready to win now so Im looking for that veteran Qb(would love carson Palmer) over some rookie Qb(Raiders don't have a good record drafting qbs) capiche

Btw JMO I could see if Titans release Vince Young( I personally wouldn't want) that Raiders sign him and let him compete with Jason campbell for the starting job.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 12-08-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    Jerry Jones will trade up to take Mallet if he has to. If they don't win in more games, they won't have to trade at all.
    Bank on this dude.
    the cowboys arent gonna give up on romo after an injury, hes their new golden boy

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Again just because you base your opinion off of his numbers he has produced and than you see for yourself what he is really all about. I'm now saying they need an upgrade at QB. What does that have to do with consistancy . Its called seeing a player long enough now to make a more accurate assessment of player. An admitting they can do better at that position. This raider team is ready to win now so Im looking for that veteran Qb(would love carson Palmer) over some rookie Qb(Raiders don't have a good record drafting qbs) capiche
    i dont understand why anyone would want carson palmer as their starting qb at this point. maybe a change of scenery can do him well, but the guy has been a complete waste of talent after the knee injury

i dont understand why anyone would want carson palmer as their starting qb at this point. maybe a change of scenery can do him well, but the guy has been a complete waste of talent after the knee injury
    Yes Carson Palmer has looked very bad this year and thats why you have a chance to maybe get him. Your rolling the dice that a change of scenery will do wonders for him. Hes only 30 years old. Bring him home. Also Raiders are a team that going to run the football alot. (one of the better running teams) You don't need a QB to win the game but a Qb that can beat a defense, when they overplay the run. Jmo Palmer can do that.

Lets see Give him a very good running game, a very good oline( center away) a Top Young Te, and alot of young explosive Wrs to throw to. Yea I will sign up for carson palmer right now. (what he is now)
    Last edited by Raider9175; 12-08-2010 at 12:43 AM.

All League
    Cam wowed at his media-only workout today. Trent Dilfer was absolutely raving. Don't be surprised when he's taken #1 overall. IMO of course.

Screw Blaine Gabbert.

he is going in the first rd. the guy needs works on some mechanics. he has a rocket arm, the other team will need a shadow, He is already way passed vince young, Is very personable, his teammates like him. Should he start next year, No.

If Cam can go 10 or 5 or 3... he can go 1.

I've had Cam Newton at 1 on the mock since 1.19.2011

agree with it or not, it's the only pick that makes sense to Carolina... think from it in their position who else can they take? Fairley is not Suh and even he didn't go #1.

Every year I have to learn the same hard lesson... The draft is not about any1 on the outside... but 32 owners/general manager types.

Mayock and the scouts can bi|ch all they want but the media is important and ratings are important. Winning the national championship and being an insane athlete is imprortant.

we've heard it all. Tebow wasn't a first rounder. Vince Young probably didn't deserve to go 3, Russell didn't deserve to #1 but ya know what... they did anyway. regardless of what the scouts, media and fans wanted or assumed would happen.

In North Carolina, Blaine Gabbert isn't gonna sell tickets like Cam Newton he's the guy, let's just agree and move on. If Bradford can go #1 after shoulder surgery, Cam Newton is going #1. teams are QB desperate and Clausen has awful intangibles.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    If Cam can go 10 or 5 or 3... he can go 1.

I've had Cam Newton at 1 on the mock since 1.19.2011

agree with it or not, it's the only pick that makes sense to Carolina... think from it in their position who else can they take? Fairley is not Suh and even he didn't go #1.

Every year I have to learn the same hard lesson... The draft is not about any1 on the outside... but 32 owners/general manager types.

Mayock and the scouts can bi|ch all they want but the media is important and ratings are important. Winning the national championship and being an insane athlete is imprortant.

we've heard it all. Tebow wasn't a first rounder. Vince Young probably didn't deserve to go 3, Russell didn't deserve to #1 but ya know what... they did anyway. regardless of what the scouts, media and fans wanted or assumed would happen.

In North Carolina, Blaine Gabbert isn't gonna sell tickets like Cam Newton he's the guy, let's just agree and move on. If Bradford can go #1 after shoulder surgery, Cam Newton is going #1. teams are QB desperate and Clausen has awful intangibles.
    I certainly don't agree with you that Newton will go first, but I understand and agree with the concept. It was a similar situation with Michael Oher in that there was no real "right place" for him to go. He could have belonged at #1 or he could have belonged at #30.

Him going to Carolina makes sense, in a way, on account of the splash and hype. But, there's not way they can take that big of a risk with the #1 pick. And, I'm pretty sure they'll receive no calls at all about anyone wanting to trade in.

I also am struggling a bit to figure out where he would be most likely to go....how about the Dolphins? He'd sit behind Henne for a year. Once Henne bombs out, Newton is ready to go. If, on the off chance, Henne becomes a legit NFL QB, its not a bad thing to have two valuable QBs on your team. Taking a QB at #15 is a little different than taking him Top 5. There's not as much pressure to have them start ASAP.

Daboll is not averse to being creative in his play decision, from what I saw in CLE this year.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Him going to Carolina makes sense, in a way, on account of the splash and hype. But, there's not way they can take that big of a risk with the #1 pick.
    and let's not forget Jimmy Clausen sucks. As for risk... i don't see why Nick Fairley or Da'Quan Bowers are safer picks than Cam Newton. All 3 players are basically 1 year wonders.

If we are talking about cameron jordan going #1 ok fair enough that's a safe pick. Fairley is not any safer than Newton.