Thread: 2018-2022 World Cup Hosts

All Pro

2018-2022 World Cup Hosts

Since we have all had a few days to properly grieve the loss of Paul the Octopus, I figured he would want the soccer forum to move on get back to business.

Anyway, we are approaching the December 2nd and on that date FIFA will announce where the games will be.

2018 seems to be between England and Russia with England having a pretty big advantadge. Both countries seem to be in a pr battle that I could care less about so Ill move on to where the debate seems to be.

2022's most active bids seem to be USA, Australia and surprisingly Qatar(by the way, this country is dry). USA has plenty of 70k plus stadiums that FIFA would love to fill which makes them seem like the favorite to me.

Thoughts?
    Predicitions?

Australia would be an interesting choice, but isn't it winter there during our summer months? I don't see how that could be conducive to a massive, month-long outdoor sporting event.

A WC here would be sweet. The Meadowlands would DEFINITELY get a couple games, as would probably Dallas, LA, and maybe Seattle. What are some other cities that would host games?

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Australia would be an interesting choice, but isn't it winter there during our summer months? I don't see how that could be conducive to a massive, month-long outdoor sporting event.

A WC here would be sweet. The Meadowlands would DEFINITELY get a couple games, as would probably Dallas, LA, and maybe Seattle. What are some other cities that would host games?
    Ask South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige View Post
    Ask South Africa.
    ...uh... ah... oh......

Why don't YOU ask South Africa..>?!?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige View Post
    Ask South Africa.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Since we have all had a few days to properly grieve the loss of Paul the Octopus, I figured he would want the soccer forum to move on get back to business.

Anyway, we are approaching the December 2nd and on that date FIFA will announce where the games will be.

2018 seems to be between England and Russia with England having a pretty big advantadge. Both countries seem to be in a pr battle that I could care less about so Ill move on to where the debate seems to be.

2022's most active bids seem to be USA, Australia and surprisingly Qatar(by the way, this country is dry). USA has plenty of 70k plus stadiums that FIFA would love to fill which makes them seem like the favorite to me.

Thoughts?
    Predicitions?
    I didn't know Qatar as in the running, I hope they get it. The time difference between us and both the US and Australia is a ***** and I may even be able to go to some games if the WC is in Qatar.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I didn't know Qatar as in the running, I hope they get it. The time difference between us and both the US and Australia is a ***** and I may even be able to go to some games if the WC is in Qatar.
    They are going pretty hard for the 2022 campaign. They are considered a long shot. Being dry is an absolute killer. They also have concerns about the treatment of woman there. It would def be a different/interesting choice.

America is a huge favorite of FIFA because they could host the thing tomorrow. Tons of 70k plus stadiums. The fight for the American final would be interesting as well.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    They are going pretty hard for the 2022 campaign. They are considered a long shot. Being dry is an absolute killer. They also have concerns about the treatment of woman there. It would def be a different/interesting choice.

America is a huge favorite of FIFA because they could host the thing tomorrow. Tons of 70k plus stadiums. The fight for the American final would be interesting as well.
    Are you sure about Qatar being dry? I'm not 100% sure but as far as I know foreigners can purchase and drink alcohol there and women - altough far from ideal - are treated relatively better than other middle eastern countries.

America would be a good choice because of the infrastructure but its biggest drawback is the time difference between it and the cash cow of Fifa, which is Europe. When TV raitings in Europe go down and it inevitably will - I assume the sponsorship money would also decrease. Maybe they'll be able to supplement that with added revenue from the South American
    markets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Are you sure about Qatar being dry? I'm not 100% sure but as far as I know foreigners can purchase and drink alcohol there and women - altough far from ideal - are treated relatively better than other middle eastern countries.

America would be a good choice because of the infrastructure but its biggest drawback is the time difference between it and the cash cow of Fifa, which is Europe. When TV raitings in Europe go down and it inevitably will - I assume the sponsorship money would also decrease. Maybe they'll be able to supplement that with added revenue from the South American
    markets.
    I also think Qatar is alcohol/slut friendly.

Qatar would be an awful choice:
    - no local passion for the game
    - No home team
    - A bazillion degree weather.

This is just like F1 races taking place in China/Korea..;etc in empty stadiums. It's all about the $$.

I can definitely see the 2022 wc go to australia....because since there is alot of anti-usa sentiment in the world today and fifa is not the biggest fan of america and since sepp blater likes to f*** up alot...i can see him giving the wc to australia or even qatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rexamillion5592 View Post
    I can definitely see the 2022 wc go to australia....because since there is alot of anti-usa sentiment in the world today and fifa is not the biggest fan of america and since sepp blater likes to f*** up alot...i can see him giving the wc to australia or even qatar
    I doubt it. FIFA cares about $ above all else. Bottom line is that a US World Cup is gold to FIFA. 1994 was the highest attended world cup of all time

All Pro
    BUMP

This is tomorrow at 10 am and Qatar seem to be some bookie favorites for 2022.

I still dread AUS getting it. I cant believe Id have to watch US games at 3 am.

Qatar and Spain...for the swap.