Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QB in 2nd or 3rd

QB in 2nd or 3rd

Seems like there are a lot of mid-level type quarterbacks in this draft that should be available in the 2nd or 3rd round...Ponder, Gabbert, Pat Devlin.

I also think that backup QB is an area that needs to be addressed and this could be the perfect time to look at it. If we lose Cro, Holmes or Braylon we will be in line to get a compensatory pick at the end of the 3rd round (possibly end of 2nd but doubtful) which would make it easier to draft a backup so early.

Sanchez is entrenched as the starter and there is ZERO doubt about that, so even if we brought someone in as a 2nd round pick, its not gonna creat a QB controversy whatsoever.

We can get one of these guys to learn, develop, and protect us should sanchez go down for an extended period of time...and if they do pan out, we can use him as trade chip in the future (as SD did with Brees/Rivers).

Id love to have a young, mobile guy in here to compete with or join clemens as our backups.

No way!!!

Why waste a high pick on what should end up being a career backup. I'd rather have brad smith in as the 3rd qb than draft another young one. Sanchez should be the qb for the next decade. Our need for young talent at d line and o line are far more important. And depending on who we lose in fa this year maybe even a wr. I'd rather jut keep bringin in journey men vets like brunnel and kitna rather than waste a high pick trying to develop yet another young qb.

All Pro
    ^ yup.

This is a horrible idea.

Which big holes at FS, OLB, and DL, QB is the last thing we should be thinking about that early.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Wright View Post
    This is a horrible idea.

Which big holes at FS, OLB, and DL, QB is the last thing we should be thinking about that early.
    Agreed. Second Round QB's are for eventual/hopeful starters...aka what Clemens was supposed to be. While he is now a career backup, you do not draft them with that intent. Referencing Brees/Rivers was a horrible example basically inferring that we would eventually trade Sanchez...and Rivers was a top 4 pick (they drafted him because Brees had not developed to that point, which Sanchez is starting too). If Jets want to look at a QB to take Clemens spot on the roster, its most likely going to be in rounds 6-7 as a developmental pick.

All League
    0 chance

The original poster is 100% right on the money. For some unknown reason people look at a starter and think he will never ever ever get injured long term. Have you guys had a look at our backups right now? If you can get a value pick as the person is suggesting you have at a minimum perhaps at least a viable back up QB. A guy with whom the season is not over if the starter goes down. Second of all you bank a potential decent asset for the future, there have been tons of cases of 'backup' QBs fetching a nice return after a few years.

If the best player on the board in the 3rd round or so is a QB there is no reason not to take a guy when QB is the most important position on the team and our backups are in suck and old and suck territory.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Seems like there are a lot of mid-level type quarterbacks in this draft that should be available in the 2nd or 3rd round...Ponder, Gabbert, Pat Devlin.

I also think that backup QB is an area that needs to be addressed and this could be the perfect time to look at it. If we lose Cro, Holmes or Braylon we will be in line to get a compensatory pick at the end of the 3rd round (possibly end of 2nd but doubtful) which would make it easier to draft a backup so early.

Sanchez is entrenched as the starter and there is ZERO doubt about that, so even if we brought someone in as a 2nd round pick, its not gonna creat a QB controversy whatsoever.

We can get one of these guys to learn, develop, and protect us should sanchez go down for an extended period of time...and if they do pan out, we can use him as trade chip in the future (as SD did with Brees/Rivers).

Id love to have a young, mobile guy in here to compete with or join clemens as our backups.
    I would be happy with any #2 we can obtain in any manner, because right now we have Sanchez and some 3's.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The original poster is 100% right on the money. For some unknown reason people look at a starter and think he will never ever ever get injured long term. Have you guys had a look at our backups right now? If you can get a value pick as the person is suggesting you have at a minimum perhaps at least a viable back up QB. A guy with whom the season is not over if the starter goes down. Second of all you bank a potential decent asset for the future, there have been tons of cases of 'backup' QBs fetching a nice return after a few years.

If the best player on the board in the 3rd round or so is a QB there is no reason not to take a guy when QB is the most important position on the team and our backups are in suck and old and suck territory.
    No, just no. You don't take a backup QB in the 2nd or 3rd, especially considering that we only have 6 picks in this draft. If we were the Pats and had 8 picks in the first four rounds, I'm fine with it, just the Jets have clear holes and only 2 picks in the first 3 rounds to fill them.

We need youth at OLB, FS, and on the DL. Taking a QB that early would be ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Wright View Post
    No, just no. You don't take a backup QB in the 2nd or 3rd, especially considering that we only have 6 picks in this draft. If we were the Pats and had 8 picks in the first four rounds, I'm fine with it, just the Jets have clear holes and only 2 picks in the first 3 rounds to fill them.

We need youth at OLB, FS, and on the DL. Taking a QB that early would be ridiculous.

I didnt say we should use our 1st round pick on a QB, I definitely want to go with a DL at that point, as that is a huge need for us.

But I disagree about OLB and FS being big needs for us....Leonhard is a hard working player with a manageable salary, he will be starting for us in 2011. Eric Smith is a decent safety and great special teams player, he will be here in 2011. Hopefully so will Pool who has been ok so far, even though its his first year in the defense.

Im all for using a pick in the 1st 4 rounds for a LB, but first line of depth we need should be filled by Jamal Westeman. He will have had 2 years to learn the Def and pro game, and adjust to LB....he is being groomed to be a starter for us eventually, possibly in 2011. (If for some reason we dont resign harris, then different story, but I think we will).

Oline and CB we addressed with our 1st 2 picks in 2010, plus slauson is a young player and our other guys are under contract.

Fact of the matter is, every team in the NFL needs a quality backup QB and we dont have one. Why do we need LB depth and not QB depth....isnt QB a much more important position?

Plus if the player does develop, its a valuable chip to move for future picks....

Sanchez is the 2nd worst QB in the league in completion percentage.

Backup? we don't even know if we have a starter.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

not necessary....the crop of signal callers in April does not lend itself to a good 2nd/3rd rounder...maybe Kapernick of Nevada in a quasi brad smith role, though he's gonna want to play QB...you usually draft a QB in rounds 2/3 to be a potential starter down the road...

as far as the criticism of sanchez, it is utterly ridiculous...he's not throwing killer interception or turning the ball over to the team's detriment, except for the denver game...i'd be more inclined to get receivers that consistently catch the ball...al toon and keyshawn johnson these guys are not....

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Sanchez is the 2nd worst QB in the league in completion percentage.

Backup? we don't even know if we have a starter.
    Completion percentage is how you judge quarterbacks? Interesting.

All Pro
    I think taking a QB before the 4th is a silly idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Completion percentage is how you judge quarterbacks? Interesting.
    CBNY was here talking bout his Arm strength in bad weather several years ago, last week's wind situation seemed like he was dead on the money. Playoff games will be played in far worse conditions than last sunday.

Or did mr cbny flip flop since then? and everyone is SURE mark sanchez is the guy ... forever and ever amen ...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    i'd be more inclined to get receivers that consistently catch the ball...al toon and keyshawn johnson these guys are not....
    ...say like Jon Baldwin

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

CBNY was here talking bout his Arm strength in bad weather several years ago, last week's wind situation seemed like he was dead on the money. Playoff games will be played in far worse conditions than last sunday.

Or did mr cbny flip flop since then? and everyone is SURE mark sanchez is the guy ... forever and ever amen ...
    give up on a second year QB who helped bring the team to the AFC title game last season because of a couple of bad games??? makes sense...

The wind was also affecting Rodgers and both kickers, who missed relatively easy FG's.

Sanchez's arm does not worry me. I was at the Atlanta game last year and threw a bomb to Edwards that was an absolute 50 yard strike last year. The wind in the Atlanta game was worse than the Green Bay game.

giving up and hedging a bet are 2 different things. I am not giving up on Sanchez but it wouldn't be terrible to have another plan. giving up would be trading up for andrew luck... a qb in round 2 or 3 is a hedge. and lets be honest the way they drafted in 2010 a 2nd round pick guarantees nothing.

Veteran
    giving up and hedging a bet are 2 different things. I am not giving up on Sanchez but it wouldn't be terrible to have another plan. giving up would be trading up for andrew luck... a qb in round 2 or 3 is a hedge. and lets be honest the way they drafted in 2010 a 2nd round pick guarantees nothing.
    You've given up on the entire 2010 class after 7 games, yet 35 games into Vernon Gholston's sackless career you maintain that he's just "developing" like Mario Williams "developed." It's no wonder why everyone on this site considers you an utter joke.