Thread: 60 Minutes

All League

60 Minutes

Did anyone watch 60 minutes Sunday evening. Donald Regan secretary of the treasury stated the only way the fix the debt crisis is to raise taxes for a period of time and cut spending across the board. I tend to agree with him?

Hall Of Fame
    What "period of time"? We're still in a recession.

All League
    I believe he said up to 2 years, and massive cuts!

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    I agree

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Politicians talk a good game but they dont have the will power to make the cuts necessary. No one's touching Medicare, SS, or defense spending. they will weep and wail about some inconsequential pork somewhere but there's real cuts to be made, and real taxes to be raised... and I dont think either side wants to do any of that

Hall Of Fame
    2 yrs will put us in the crapper, PDQ.

Hall Of Fame
    Pass the FairTax. Economy will be fixed in 6 months and will grow at a rate this country has never seen before.

One can dream

All Pro
    Did anyone watch 60 minutes Sunday evening. Donald Regan secretary of the treasury stated the only way the fix the debt crisis is to raise taxes for a period of time and cut spending across the board. I tend to agree with him?
    It was David Stockman, Ronald Reagan's Budget Director.

Here is the full report:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/60_minu...page&play=true

Veteran
    Didnt Regan die years ago?

Hall Of Fame
    It was David Stockman, former head of OMB under Reagan.

Don Regan died in 2003.

That said, the problem that was also addressed is the WASTE in spending.

They say "What can we cut"..."We can't cut public safety", "We can't cut Eduvation...etc...." , yet if you look at those budgets, there is fat everywhere but NO ONE wants to face those unions.

People costs are over riding cost in budgets. Until people costs are brought in line, nothing can change.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    It was David Stockman, Ronald Reagan's Budget Director.

Here is the full report:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/60_minu...page&play=true
    Thanks for the correction!

All League
    ELiminate the "Department of Education" and put schools back in state/local hands.

Defense budget has HUGE areas to cut, mostly in "pet projects" and other unneccesary weapons systems from Defense Contractors. FOcus on the Sharp End of the spectrum. IN most services, the tail wags the dog, and that could be fixed through reorganization of unit TO&E. Look how much more efficient the Marine COrps is compared to the Army. There are lessons to be learned there. Figure out what is needed and why...IN todays world, the Army/USMC ground forces along with the USAF should be the focus. How many SSBNs or Aircraft carriers do we need? The U.S.N. is currently the ONLY NAvy with aircraft carriers...how many do we need?

Push the age of SS benefit collection back. It was initially 65 because that was the LIFE EXPECTANCY. It was never supposed to be a "Pension". Let people entering the work force opt out of SS and invest in their own retirement.

Eliminate the Department of Homeland Security. It is a redundant organization doing things worse and more clumsily than the Department of Defense and the DOJ.

FIX THE TAX CODE. It is a behemoth of thousands of pages. Institute a flat rate tax system and drastically reduce the size of the IRS.

Repeal the Health care Bill. Its stupid and ridiculous and unwieldy. Toss it out and, allow tort reform and interstate competition for Insurance companies.

Put in place entitlement reforms that mandate anyone receiving federal aid undergo MANDATORY drug testing monthly (see below). Miss one, and you're off. Come up hot, you are on probation. Strike two, you are out of the system.

Legalize Marijuana and tax it. It is an unnecessary pressure on Law enforcement, the courts, and the penal system. Treat it like alcohol.

No more bailouts. No more Tarp. No more nonsense like cash for clunkers. Thats not the role of the federal govt.

Term limits. On every elected position on the Federal level. 8 years was good enough for George Washington, I think 18 or so would be plenty for a scumbag like Barney Frank.

Outlaw lobbyists on federal property. Period. Completely outlaw campaign contributions from corporations, PACS, or anything other than private donors. Set a cap on donations...and outlaw Unions from being able to contribute to ANY political party/race/candidate.

No more loans from foreign powers. Ever.

Just a few examples of things that could help the fiscal state of the Nation, and in turn fix the economy.
    Last edited by Jet_Engine1; 11-04-2010 at 11:31 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    ELiminate the "Department of Education" and put schools back in state/local hands.
    I agree in part, but there needs to be a federal standard of what needs to be covered and what isn't. I would be pissed if I lived in a state where my tax dollars funded the long winded discussions in Creationism.

Defense budget has HUGE areas to cut, mostly in "pet projects" and other unneccesary weapons systems from Defense Contractors. FOcus on the Sharp End of the spectrum. IN most services, the tail wags the dog, and that could be fixed through reorganization of unit TO&E. Look how much more efficient the Marine COrps is compared to the Army. There are lessons to be learned there. Figure out what is needed and why...IN todays world, the Army/USMC ground forces along with the USAF should be the focus. How many SSBNs or Aircraft carriers do we need? The U.S.N. is currently the ONLY NAvy with aircraft carriers...how many do we need?
    I agree completely. Only problem is since we're one of the only friendly countries in the world that has carriers, if anything went down and they needed a landing strip ASAP guess who has to foot that part of the war bill?

Push the age of SS benefit collection back. It was initially 65 because that was the LIFE EXPECTANCY. It was never supposed to be a "Pension". Let people entering the work force opt out of SS and invest in their own retirement.
    I agree

Eliminate the Department of Homeland Security. It is a redundant organization doing things worse and more clumsily than the Department of Defense and the DOJ.
    Again, I agree. Dismantle the DoHS and allocate the funds saved from the program to the other two Depts where needed; give the rest back or allocate it somewhere else.

FIX THE TAX CODE. It is a behemoth of thousands of pages. Institute a flat rate tax system and drastically reduce the size of the IRS.
    Can't say I agree on this one 100%. I'd like to see some sort of hybrid system of a flat tax and a consumption tax EXCEPT on items like food, gas, heating, and water.

Repeal the Health care Bill. Its stupid and ridiculous and unwieldy. Toss it out and, allow tort reform and interstate competition for Insurance companies.
    I agree but for different reasons. The bill for a progressive was a total sham. With the money saved by gutting the Defense budget and other places we can at least have some sort of realistic safety net for people who really do need it.

Put in place entitlement reforms that mandate anyone receiving federal aid undergo MANDATORY drug testing monthly (see below). Miss one, and you're off. Come up hot, you are on probation. Strike two, you are out of the system.
    Having someone come around to drug test people on federal aid might prove to be more expensive in the long run. You have to have people to track their records, send them to get tested, remind them of their dates, issue them reasons why they're not qualified etc. When compared to the Defense budget, SS and Medicare/healthcare this aspect of the economy is a drop in the bucket and used as a game by both sides to win votes.

Legalize Marijuana and tax it. It is an unnecessary pressure on Law enforcement, the courts, and the penal system. Treat it like alcohol.
    Do I really have to tell you my stance on this?

<--------

No more bailouts. No more Tarp. No more nonsense like cash for clunkers. Thats not the role of the federal govt
    If the debt is internal and not borrowed from other countries I won't opposed from using programs like this is the situation is dire. But everything needs to be open and transparent so everyone knows exactly where it's going

Term limits. On every elected position on the Federal level. 8 years was good enough for George Washington, I think 18 or so would be plenty for a scumbag like Barney Frank.
    I agree, the SCOTUS is unbearably behind the times and hurts us. Four terms for Senators would be fine in my mind. Remember, for every long standing liberal Senator like Frank, there are long standing Conservitive Senators like McCain. Term Limits would be good but the turn over rate for a Senator can't be TOO short.

Outlaw lobbyists on federal property. Period. Completely outlaw campaign contributions from corporations, PACS, or anything other than private donors. Set a cap on donations...and outlaw Unions from being able to contribute to ANY political party/race/candidate.
    Wasn't this tried just this year but was knocked down by the SCOTUS? Yeah, term limits on judges are a must.

No more loans from foreign powers. Ever.
    Agreed

Just a few examples of things that could help the fiscal state of the Nation, and in turn fix the economy.
    There's more stuff you can include... farm subsidies for one
    Last edited by FreshBaked 24 7; 11-05-2010 at 02:23 AM.