Thread: Gov. Christie says N.J. to shed at least 1,200 public employees by next year

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

Gov. Christie says N.J. to shed at least 1,200 public employees by next year

I don't think $8.8 million can be the correct figure.

www.nj.coml

TRENTON State government is on track to shed at least 1,200 jobs in January, Gov. Chris Christie said today.

"Whether it will grow beyond that, I don't know," he said at a Statehouse press conference. "That's very much going to be dependent on what the revenue outlook looks like for the state."

The job cuts include layoffs and attrition, spokesman Michael Drewniak said.

Government departments have begun submitting plans to the Civil Service Commission on where they plan to lay off workers, spokesman Peter Lyden said.

Christie's budget proposal, unveiled in March, called for cutting 1,300 state workers, including union and nonunion employees. He said the cuts would save $8.8 million.

A deal between former Gov. Jon Corzine and New Jersey's largest state works union has prevented layoffs before January.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I don't think $8.8 million can be the correct figure.

www.nj.coml
    There's no way. That works out to about $7,333 per job.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    There's no way. That works out to about $7,333 per job.

Perhaps the crossing guard service is being eliminated.

All League
    And i bet you he wont THINK about touching his boys in blue either. I guess the cop who works in Ridgewood making $120,000+ isn't enough of a problem... let's axe more teachers/NJTransit guys to make up for it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    And i bet you he wont THINK about touching his boys in blue either. I guess the cop who works in Ridgewood making $120,000+ isn't enough of a problem... let's axe more teachers/NJTransit guys to make up for it.
    Ridgewood Police are not state employees.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't there been a lot of police layoffs across the state? I remember reading about that recently in towns like AC and Trenton (GREAT cities to have a diminished police force ).

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I'm confused.

What is the issue or concern here?

Layoffs are commonplace. They happen everywhere, in almost every field.

Why is this case different, or meaningful?

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I'm confused.

What is the issue or concern here?

Layoffs are commonplace. They happen everywhere, in almost every field.

Why is this case different, or meaningful?
    Cuz Christie is evil. And fat.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't there been a lot of police layoffs across the state? I remember reading about that recently in towns like AC and Trenton (GREAT cities to have a diminished police force ).
    A lot of departments have been laying off and merging their radio dispatchers too.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Cuz Christie is evil. And fat.
    6 of those state employees better be his wife's entourage.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    Look at the bright side, in 20 years you only have to pay them 1/2 that amount for the rest of their lives. Doesn't every job do that?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Their pension, benefits, etc all belong to the state

I'm not anti-union most of the time but when a cop who's making $120.000+ a year also gets a hefty pension for life and everything else that comes with it and the MOST they'll ever see is someone steal flower pots off an old ladies porch or some drunk guy get creamed for walking on the freeway then I get mad.

And most towns are doing the job for him by trying to find ways to reduce their benefits. Christie hasn't done squat. But I'm sure he'd LOVE to see the new tricked out police version Tahoe worth $70k with all the high tech doo-dads replacing the old truck with only 25k miles on it... all payed by the state

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Look at the bright side, in 20 years you only have to pay them 1/2 that amount for the rest of their lives. Doesn't every job do that?
    It's outrageous

Maybe I'm just not there yet but I'm not completely anti-union... just when it's asinine.

Teachers- I was a terrible kid so maybe a tiny benefit for them is okay

Construction/plumbing/etc - I worked on a construction site for a short time... **** is tough I can't imagine doing that my whole life... just ask my back

Police/fire/emt- this rubs me the wrong way. Theres no way an officer in Camden should be making less than an officer in Old Tappan. From salary all the way to benefits... it's just asinine