Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2010/11 Champions League Thread

Jets Insider VIP
    Has Torres dropped off the face of the planet or what
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 04-07-2011 at 03:00 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Barca 5 - 1 chaktior

Someone knows his sh*t

Veteran

That was an excellent final - the goals in it were definitely worthy of the last game of the season. Messi incredible again - have to say though if I had to choose any of the Barca players to build a team then they would be Xavi or Iniesta. That pass Xavi did for the first goal was , the Rooney goal was slightly off-side but was a peach. The Messi goal was made against an obviously tired defense, but was awesome all the same, then the Villa strike was probably the best of the lot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    That was an excellent final - the goals in it were definitely worthy of the last game of the season. Messi incredible again - have to say though if I had to choose any of the Barca players to build a team then they would be Xavi or Iniesta. That pass Xavi did for the first goal was , the Rooney goal was slightly off-side but was a peach. The Messi goal was made against an obviously tired defense, but was awesome all the same, then the Villa strike was probably the best of the lot.
    Agreed on all points.

Best team ever.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Agreed on all points.

Best team ever.

No doubt in my mind - the best club team in history. Refuse to compare club teams with national ones - but of the former definitely the best I've seen in 25 years or so I've been watching the game, and find it highly improbable there was a greater team before that time due to the obvious superiority teams from today have to those of yesteryear (due to better training, more money, better tactics etc etc).

lol, just saw the two posters who picked up Xavi and Iniesta in the draft.

Much better than the 2009 game. Sir Alex's plan looked worthy for the first 10 minutes, then it was pretty much all Barca. I'll give this much to Man U, they didn't give up like '09.

Barca's relentless with the ball control in tight spaces. They just wear you down.

How many times did Barca get wide open looks with players running forward unchecked?

The Barca set piece where I think Messi curled around the back of the wall and was set to receive the pass in front of the goal was near brilliance. Just a wee bit off in the timing.

Barca could have had 4-5 with the number of chances they had.

Guys, I'm going to be in Barcelona in September and I want to try and see a game live. When does soccer season start in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Guys, I'm going to be in Barcelona in September and I want to try and see a game live. When does soccer season start in Europe?
    Without looking at a schedule its quite a bit too early methinks.

Fixture list hasnt been published yet but season starts 21 Aug so you should find a home fixture in Sep.
    My mates been to Nou camp and although it was a fixture against one of the lesser known la liga teams he said the couple of hundred short of 100k capacity meant tickets were not such a difficulty to get hold of but its always a sell out when Real Madrid`s visiting.
    Barca technical brilliance leaves many a UK premier club in awe although Arsenal did defeat them FCB know when to krank it up to the max.
    As said, the first 10mins were typical of a lightning pace Premier league fixture that Barca struggled with but world class dribbling, zipped threaded passes into the tightest areas and all round movement with 10 outfield players all on the same awareness then it soon becomes psychological chasing the ball endlessly and slowly switching off making it impossible to keep close to opposing players at full pace, which drained Carrick, Park & Valencia (I wont mention Giggs for fear of being gagged?) so when it come to turning defence into attack Man Utd were simply suffering something equivelant to a form of "Ball shyness"?
    Any club can merely dream of having the attacking and finishing skills of their own Villa, Iniesta, Xavi, busquets or Messi (reminiscent of Kinkladze), the solid defending, game reading and attacking support of Mescharano, Alves & abidal etc. but you have to give credit to FCB`s academy in what theyve produced.
    Alex Ferguson wont want to give up until he`s got 5 European cups, currently 3, to match, then better Liverpools haul but the clocks ticking and the gulf devide in the technical ability between the 2 teams yesterday wont be addressed soon.
    FCB = F****** Creative Brilliance
    Viva La Cataonia on pure merit!

No doubt in my mind - the best club team in history. Refuse to compare club teams with national ones - but of the former definitely the best I've seen in 25 years or so I've been watching the game, and find it highly improbable there was a greater team before that time due to the obvious superiority teams from today have to those of yesteryear (due to better training, more money, better tactics etc etc).
    Just out of curiosity, why do you refuse to compare club teams to National ones?

Veteran
    Agreed on all points.

Best team ever.

Agreed except as the best goal I'll take the first. Villa's finishing was great but Xavi's pass was unreal. He looked off the entire manu defense and just slotted the ball like it was the easiest thing in the world. Just ****ing wow.

I think La liga starts a bit earlier then the other leagues because they have 20 teams (most others have 18) so I think there may be some league matches in september.

Even if there aren't still go to the Nou Camp, the museum and the grounds is a must see for any football fan.

Jets Insider VIP
    The Messi goal was made against an obviously tired defense, but was awesome all the same, .
    You have to give credit to Messi and Barcelona. If it had been any other team or player in his position, no way Vidic or Evra lay back the way they did. I don't think they were as tired as they were just plain scared. How many times do they do a close quarters give-and-go in that position. What does the little fecker do? He shoots. Van der Sar was also caught completely off guard by the shot.

Veteran
    You have to give credit to Messi and Barcelona. If it had been any other team or player in his position, no way Vidic or Evra lay back the way they did. I don't think they were as tired as they were just plain scared. How many times do they do a close quarters give-and-go in that position. What does the little fecker do? He shoots. Van der Sar was also caught completely off guard by the shot.
    I agree. Xavi shoots from there, Iniesta yes, busquets, pedro even villa yes but Messi, everybody and their mother was expecting another dribble or a 1-2.

Thanks for the responses guys. When do they normally announce the schedules. BTW, I did try to look this up on google but I could not find an answer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks for the responses guys. When do they normally announce the schedules. BTW, I did try to look this up on google but I could not find an answer.
    I went to a Barca game a few years back. From what I remember it's very difficult to get a ticket if you're not part of a peña (fan group). My Spanish buddy was able to get tickets through friends of his who are part of an official peña.

Good luck.

Veteran
    I don't really know (since everyone plays each other home and away it's not really a big thing in Turkey and I'm guessing it's not a big deal in Spain either) but I think it's about a month before season starts...

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFan24 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why do you refuse to compare club teams to National ones?
    i wouldn't compare them because Club teams play together all the time... they build chemistry and have set positions... but national teams are kinda thrown together. The national coach might take a guy who is a winger and put him at striker just because that's where the need is... at a top club that wouldn't happen.

if we were gonna compare them, Spain's WC 2008 team has many overlaps with Barca...

^ ^ yep, apologies for not replying sooner - am on holiday.

Bit gives some pretty good reasons above why not to compare the two. Might add that football at the club level is a lot more "efficient" for want of a better word. What I mean by that is a lot of appointments and selections at the national level are political to an extent. So, for example, Argentina at the last World Cup had Maradona as the manager - and frankly, though one of the greatest players of all time he is not a good manager - his appointment was definitely a political one. Argentina had some awesome players in that squad - they also had some incredible players left out of the squad who probably should have been in there. Messi played in that team and he didn't score a goal in 6 or so games at the Cup - but he scored 56 goals or so in all competitions for Barcelona this season.

Anyway - I just don't compare the two - to my mind two of the best national XI's ever assembled never even won a World Cup - Brazil in 1982 (to my mind the best national XI ever assembled) and France in 1986 (though the latter won the Euro in 84 - in 86 Argentina had a fairly bad side but they ended up winning the Cup because of one absolutely freakish player). I would never pick a club side as one of the best ever if it hadn't of won at least several trophies across a number of competitions - but that criteria doesn't hold for national teams.